should there be shot clocks

jcbiggestfan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure would like to see it. Even if it was 40 sec or 50 sec. I think it would make the game better. I think that 18 minute half's would be better than quarters also.

And for the ones that think the game should not change do you really want to go back to 6 on 6 so more girls can play? I don't think so. Lets get the high school game more like the college game so the kids do have a chance to move to college do not have a lot adjust to .

That is my thoughts, I do believe it would make for a lot of exciting games if teams had to play with a shot clock. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

if i am winning then NO we dont need a shot clock but if i am losing then YES i need a shot clock lol I have mixed emotions about the shot clock in high school I think that there are several pluses and minuses for it but i am firm in my belief lol

I would love a shot clock - They play it in AAU and not that big of difference except that it rewards good defense......

This does get brought up from time to time and there are more details needed as far as the game is concerned. Certainly time used is one, will it do away with 10 second rule. In High schools will the time be on a clock on the floor or where will it be kept? Who is going to pay for the clocks? And really how many are interested in doing it? And if decided to try it, should it be tried in some places to see the effect on the game? I'm not sure what this is trying to fix but unless someone tries it you'll never know. I don't think that anyone will disagree that the way the game is being played today has changed rather dramatically. Players continue to get better and better and other things are changing. So like RD but unlike him also, I am unsure of the value and cost of running it and like RD, I'm firm in my belief. How about that for an answer?

There's no need for shot clocks in high school sports. If shot clocks become part of the high school game, it will give a more decided advantage to the better teams. It will force teams that need to slow the game down into quicker shots and shorter possessions, allowing the more high powered offenses to have the ball more often.

Also, I think that shot clocks would increase the number of really lopsided games that are already too common. There are always stories of teams winning 116-15 (or recently 100-0) and that's without a shot clock. What would happen when these teams increased the number of shots taken in a game?

And I think college basketball needs to adapt to other levels of play, not high school ball adapting to college basketball. Middle school plays six minute quarters, high school plays eight minute quarters, and the NBA plays 12 minute quarters. Why does college basketball not adapt and play 10 minute quarters? That seems to make more sense than anything else.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

No!!! There is no need for it because most teams can't even hold the ball 30 seconds. Only the more skilled teams could do this so it would not help the underdogs in any way. Leave the game alone.

One vote against the shot clock for high schools. This is based on personal opinion, not statistics. I think the kids have a hard enough time trying to remember where they are supposed to be during a play. You add the pressure of making sure they get a shot off within X seconds and the play could get wild. One of the things I took away from Shelbyville in thier game against Wilson was that they were willing to reset thier offense as many times as they needed to in order to get a good shot off (the fact that thier shots didn't fall allowed the game to go to WC). One of best times I had a game was a few years ago at a District game where one team had a 2 or 3 point lead and the coach had thier point guard hold onto the ball for two minutes near midcourt. The losing team didn't come out and guard her for fear of giving up a score. It was a neat chess match to witness.

The shot clock makes the game more interesting by adding another level of intensity. AAU and exposure games use the shot clock, so when I look at a High School game it seems "dumbed down", and girls who play year-round have a distinct advantage by playing all summer under the pressure of the clock. The excuse that some teams will dominate may be true for the first few years, but as programs make the adjustment, the teams will get better. I'm sure that's what many naysayers said when the women's game moved from half-court to full-court! I mean you don't get stronger by lifting the same amount of weight day after day...at some point you're going to have to add some weight. As knowledge and technology allow athletes to compete at ever-increasing levels, the game must adapt in order to maintain the challenge.

if i am winning then NO we dont need a shot clock but if i am losing then YES i need a shot clock lol I have mixed emotions about the shot clock in high school I think that there are several pluses and minuses for it but i am firm in my belief lol

thats why we need a shot clock b/c of that reason right there enough said.

The shot clock makes the game more interesting by adding another level of intensity. AAU and exposure games use the shot clock, so when I look at a High School game it seems "dumbed down", and girls who play year-round have a distinct advantage by playing all summer under the pressure of the clock. The excuse that some teams will dominate may be true for the first few years, but as programs make the adjustment, the teams will get better. I'm sure that's what many naysayers said when the women's game moved from half-court to full-court! I mean you don't get stronger by lifting the same amount of weight day after day...at some point you're going to have to add some weight. As knowledge and technology allow athletes to compete at ever-increasing levels, the game must adapt in order to maintain the challenge.

Well said. Bring on the shot clocks. I don't understand those who seem to suggest that some players/programs couldn't possibly adapt.