Venue still an issue

texas23

I have trouble understanding why the TSSAA always says they haven't heard a solution to every problem that is brought before them. Isn't this their job? These guys make a GOOD living off of what the schools and atheletes produce. What do they do? If they want the coaches to solve all the problems then they should cut the TSSAA staff in half and reduce all saleries to the average of what the coaches are paid.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, Independence didn't place and I am also guessing you didn't watch Independence wrestle either. Whether or not we placed, the bracket placement was not correct and anyone that pays close enough attention to this sport and understands what is going on knows we were not in the correct spot. No big deal though we fought the best we could against Bradley and lost it after that. Forfeits or not, we wrestled Bradley tough and in my opinion tougher than any team in the state this year and we had an emotional let down after the match. I take full accountability for not having us ready for Clarksville but we had our kids believing we could beat Bradley and they were so pumped for it and then we lost. It was a tough lesson to learn as a new coach and as a young team. It was a tough match to rebound from and with sickness and injuries, Clarksville was too much for us to handle last night. We didn't have the gas to get past them and it showed. We put everything we have into trying to beat Bradley and my kids wrestled tough. To say that we proved the placement in the bracket was fair..... well that is crazy and your opinion. I could go on and on about how we defeated different teams on the bottom side of the bracket but when it is all said and done, it just does not matter one bit. We by far had the worst placement in the bracket and we were 100% placed in that spot and could not do anything except do our best. All we can do now is learn from our experience in Clarksville and go back to work on Monday. But to say we proved out placement, well I guess you're right, we were seeded 5th and we weren't suppose to place anyways then.

I have a question for the INDY coach. Why do you think that your placement in the top bracket was incorrect and what criteria are you basing it from?

I have a question for the INDY coach. Why do you think that your placement in the top bracket was incorrect and what criteria are you basing it from?

Independence finished 4th last year at the state tournament. Ooltewah did not qualify this year, and Cleveland finished 3rd. The seeding should have been 1. Bradley 2.Cleveland 3.Independence. This would have put Indy on the bottom side of the bracket.

Independence finished 4th last year at the state tournament. Ooltewah did not qualify this year, and Cleveland finished 3rd. The seeding should have been 1. Bradley 2.Cleveland 3.Independence. This would have put Indy on the bottom side of the bracket.

Is that the criteria used for this tournament?

This same problem occurred in both divisions. The only way to ensure it doesn't happen again is to make sure that seeding criteria gets placed into the TSSAA handbook. I know the DII coaches are working on a proposal. I hope the DI coaches are looking into to one for their tournament as well.

Correct and the TSSAA gave a lame and random explanation of how the brackets were set up.

Based on how it was seeded in the past, I'm in agreement with Independence...they received a raw deal.

Yeah, you are right.

The only real complaint can be when Indy met Bradley. Cause either way, to win the championship this year would have required a win over Bradley. So the most that team should have had is one loss in the tournament. So, on the onset of the draw, they got a raw deal.

As just a fan that was at the duals Clarksville High School is not a fan friendly place to watch the duals.First off your too far from the far mats to take photos or film.The building seamed excessively warm. Having a child in a stroller made it imposable to get a good view from standing above the bleachers also anyone confined to a wheel chair would have the same problem.The areas for wheelchairs and strollers where being used to store team coolers. I would also like to add that Chatt. has some of these same problems. Warmup area for wrestlers is to cramped(yes some wrestlers can just jump up out of there seat and be ready while others really need to get warm and stretch right before they wrestle).They also ran out of food before the second round of Fri nights wrestling.No matter where the officials are from you are going to have good and bad having two on each mat should level that playing field. MTSU may be a great place to consider next year. Coach Knepper and the wrestlers at MTSU are building a wrestling program and could use the money from state duals to help expand the program at MTSU as UTC uses the funds to help their wrestling program.It would be great to see MTSU change from club team to DIV 1 which would give more wrestlers in Tenn the chance to wrestle in college and recieve scholarships.Mtsu could then help train and build wrestling up in Middle TN the way UTC has done in Southern TN.There are several areas in Murf. that could hold the duals (not local high schools) plenty of hotels and shopping and restaurants and is about as close to the middle of the state as you can get to even out travel for all teams.

I have never understood why the State Duals' Tournament would be held in a competing high school's facility. It just seems inappropriate. The Traditional Tournament at McKenzie offers the Southeastern teams the luxury of being close to home, but the Arena is not a 'home field advantage'. Plus I don't know of any local teams that gain financially from the Traditional Tournament. Ward's article states that Clarksville (I assume their wrestling program) makes at least $5,000 to host the tournament ($50,000 plus over the last 10 years). Their boosters work hard for that money which we all appreciate, but it's a privilege that shouldn't exist while the rest of us are having bake sales and washing cars every weekend for months.

I have never understood why the State Duals' Tournament would be held in a competing high school's facility. It just seems inappropriate. The Traditional Tournament at McKenzie offers the Southeastern teams the luxury of being close to home, but the Arena is not a 'home field advantage'. Plus I don't know of any local teams that gain financially from the Traditional Tournament. Ward's article states that Clarksville (I assume their wrestling program) makes at least $5,000 to host the tournament ($50,000 plus over the last 10 years). Their boosters work hard for that money which we all appreciate, but it's a privilege that shouldn't exist while the rest of us are having bake sales and washing cars every weekend for months.

I can assure you that anywhere you go in the state of Tennessee that most wrestling teams and most athletic teams in general are doing bake sales, bbq suppers, car washes, coupon sales and what not. I'd be willing to bet that the 5000 dollars doesnt go directly to the team. I'm sure there are janitors to pay, food to be bought for coaches and referees, administrators from the school to pay, and other expenses to cover which i imagine probably doesnt give them a profit for the amount of work they put into running it.

Just playing devil's advocate here, I really have no idea what money is made and how it is spent. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

On a side note. Every year there are some of the same complaints and many times some of them may be deserved. One comment i havent seen pop up in the last year or two relates to the bathrooms. I've been several years ago and they could get pretty bad if you ask me. I went this year and I don't remember them being too bad. Of course I didnt make any trips into the stalls.