TSSAA OFFICIALS

BEARCLAW

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> leadfarmer, I know exactly what you are talking about. We have dealt with an official who does basically the same thing with certain players, but I've also seen them "bait" coaches with a bad call, then make sure they stand in front of the coach and taunt them with looks and little grins like you mentioned. One coach in our area was pushed that way and the coach looked up in the stands at his principal. The principal gave him the "thumbs up" to go ahead and take the T, which was his second, and wrote a personal check for the fine. But, lest we bring the ire of some, let's be fair and say that most of the officials don't do this. I still think most do a good job. It's that small percentage of the group that make it rough on the rest. But, it makes me mad over what it does to the kids. They practice and play their hearts out only to have all that hard work damaged by one of these "third legs". I'm glad someone else sees these things go on besides me.

Most officials call a great game and do a good job but some are just out on a power trip. It just amazes me that some officials try to sway the outcome of the game by making bad calls. Don't get me wrong i am not bashing the good officials that we have only the bad ones

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most officials call a great game and do a good job but some are just out on a power trip. It just amazes me that some officials try to sway the outcome of the game by making bad calls. Don't get me wrong i am not bashing the good officials that we have only the bad ones

Went to a game the other night, and saw some great play out of 4 of the starters for one team. But boy, that 5th starter, man he was bad. I bet he had 8 turnovers, went 0-7 from the field and 0-4 from the free throw line. He needs to quit playing basketball, we should replace him with one of the guys on the bench, or heck, lets just play 4 on 4 instead.

Listen to yourselves. I'm not trying to bash the "good" officials, only the "bad" ones. I would be willing to bet that every "good" official that you've seen has had a few bad games in their career. I bet when they started out they were one of the so-called "third-legs" that you all keep referring too. I do not officiate any sport, but have a ton of respect for the guys and gals that put on the stripes and step out onto the floor. I've been in gyms before where it seems that people pay their $5 just to get in the gym and yell at the refs. All of the frustrations from their day/week at work or home has built up so now they just let it all rain down on a 20 something year old referee who is trying to learn how to referee the game. Are there some bad officials out there who don't know the game? Sure there are, but i would be willing to bet that they don't go out there trying to screw over one team and have a "biased" opinion as to who should win the game. The reason these guys are working high school basketball and not on the level you are saying they should be working is because of the lack of officials. All I can say is if you think you can do better, and you want to weed out those "third-legs" get out there and do it. Someone posted earlier how to become a registered ref, get out there and show us all how it is done.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I've watched high school basketball in Morristown, Rutledge, Cocke Co, Sevier Co, Claiborne Co, Cumberland Gap, and most of the schools that existed before some of these were formed. I've seen basketball come from 6 ladies on the court and men who played with diginity and sportsmanship. I've also seen some really good officials in all these years, but have seen quite a change in them as well. Bob Pratt, Wimp McDaniel, Roy Noe, Lon Thornton just to name a few were all characters in their day. I always enjoyed watching them and interacting with them at the games when I was in high school and later on before they retired. Thanks guys. Back then it only took 2 officials to get the game underway and finished. Now we have 3 officials on the floor, unless one doesn't show up, and things have changed. What we usually see now is 2 good, or fairly good, officials and one who needs to go back to Upward Basketball. Everyone is going to miss calls from time to time, and we all expect that. But, when one official constantly makes bad calls, and often between the same two teams, and makes them one way, respect for the "Men In Stipes" begins to wane. I want to say up front a big THANK YOU to all you officials who get out there, care for the kids, do a little coaching for both teams on the floor when necessary, and in general keep things moving along as it should. You guys have a tough job without that "third leg" tripping you up. How about it TSSAA, can we get rid of all these "third legs" so things can get a little better for all the other officials. I'm not advocating going back to 2 officials, but getting a little more strict on these guys who wear the "stripes" and spend the game flirting with the lady players, cheerleaders, and ladies in the crowd. Think I'm making it up? Get out and watch what some of these clowns are doing! I don't mean to make life difficult for all of you.....just the opposite. I appreciate what most of you are doing. But let's get rid of all these "third legs" that are taking much of the fun and sport out of a wonderful game. Come on coaches and athletic directors! If all of you will start making the call on some of these Upward guys that somehow made it to high school ball, then maybe things would improve. Just my thinking. Again, thanks to all you "Men In Stripes" who are still making a difference. I salute you!

I am not sure which association covers b-ball in your area but my association requires you to pass secondary tests and be evaluated several times a year before you are allowed to do a varsity game. Most of the varsity officials have no less than 4-6 years experience and are reqired to attend camp in the first 3 years to be eligible to become a varsity official. In covering a year of games an official will do over 100 games if he is trying to be eligible for both post-season and varsity appointments. I give this info so you understand what a good officials commitment should be and to let you know that I have traveled well over 3000 miles this year officiating and would gladly do it again because of the great people that are dedicated to teaching young athletes.

I too have been amazed at some calls in basketball. But let me say this, I tried to help out a coach by "reffing" at a junior high camp in the summer. I know the rules. But I was terrible. I had a hard time actually seeing what was going on in my area. I probably would have been better from the stands. I found basketball extremely difficult for me to see the whole big picture and still see the detail of a whose hands did what.

I have a fair amount of experience umping baseball and have been an official scorer in minor league baseball but basketball reffing . . . no thanks!!!!

I too have been amazed at some calls in basketball. But let me say this, I tried to help out a coach by "reffing" at a junior high camp in the summer. I know the rules. But I was terrible. I had a hard time actually seeing what was going on in my area. I probably would have been better from the stands. I found basketball extremely difficult for me to see the whole big picture and still see the detail of a whose hands did what.

I have a fair amount of experience umping baseball and have been an official scorer in minor league baseball but basketball reffing . . . no thanks!!!!

Agreed! Tried it on a lower level......found myself getting too caught up on actually watching and enjoying the game!

Alot easier from the stands.

Agreed! Tried it on a lower level......found myself getting too caught up on actually watching and enjoying the game!

Alot easier from the stands.

Worst seat in the house to "watch" a game is the officials/ref/umpire's seat. Never "enjoyed" a game I umped or scored. Have to focus to whole time. It's work. Can't mosey out for popcorn and a coke.

Went to a game the other night, and saw some great play out of 4 of the starters for one team. But boy, that 5th starter, man he was bad. I bet he had 8 turnovers, went 0-7 from the field and 0-4 from the free throw line. He needs to quit playing basketball, we should replace him with one of the guys on the bench, or heck, lets just play 4 on 4 instead.

Listen to yourselves. I'm not trying to bash the "good" officials, only the "bad" ones. I would be willing to bet that every "good" official that you've seen has had a few bad games in their career. I bet when they started out they were one of the so-called "third-legs" that you all keep referring too. I do not officiate any sport, but have a ton of respect for the guys and gals that put on the stripes and step out onto the floor. I've been in gyms before where it seems that people pay their $5 just to get in the gym and yell at the refs. All of the frustrations from their day/week at work or home has built up so now they just let it all rain down on a 20 something year old referee who is trying to learn how to referee the game. Are there some bad officials out there who don't know the game? Sure there are, but i would be willing to bet that they don't go out there trying to screw over one team and have a "biased" opinion as to who should win the game. The reason these guys are working high school basketball and not on the level you are saying they should be working is because of the lack of officials. All I can say is if you think you can do better, and you want to weed out those "third-legs" get out there and do it. Someone posted earlier how to become a registered ref, get out there and show us all how it is done.

One of the better posts....... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And I agree that there are great, good, average, and poor when it comes to referees.. The same is true of players and coaches.... And I also recognize that issues outside the gym can and will affect everyone from time to time, including refs, players, and coaches ---- and even some of us dumb ole fans...... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Again, I commend the post from 'T2S2A'. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />