Clarksville coach

Indian

Belittle everything not Chattanooga?? Maybe you missed these parts of Ward's article .........

Certainly no one complained about the hospitality afforded by the friendly Clarksville folks in general or the efforts put forth by tournament director Artie Manning and his hard-working corps of volunteers.

The people of Clarksville took the tournament when it was in jeopardy and built it into a quality event. The volunteers run an efficient tournament, and believe me when I say the folks there are close to having it down to a science.

The TSSAA likes having the tournament at Clarksville, and it??™s clear that the folks put on a fine show.

The obvious first choice is to leave the tournament at Clarksville.

Perhaps it could rotate from east Tennessee to middle to west ??” and for the time being exclude Chattanooga, which hosts the traditional state tournament.

So one could conclude that WG has used the newspaper to wage a personal attack on coach Jordan--now that's professional!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think Ward was bashing holding the tournament in Clarksville. I think he made some valid suggestions on how the situation could be remedied and his first and foremost suggestion was to keep it in Clarkesville not take it anywhere.

His assessment of some of the problems had nothing to do with growing the sport. It was directed at the specific handling of certain things and certain antics and accusations(real or perceived) that ruffled peoples feathers. I think that was his analysis(right or wrong)of what could help change feelings on both sides.

He obviously thinks Coach Jordan has disdain for Chattanooga area teams and officials based on Coach Jordans comments. If Coach Jordans quotes to him are accurately described then he may have a point. However He basically expressed his opinion that one person shouldnt change the venue because of hurt feeling but rather make a few small changes and keep it there.

Whether or not that is what happened to make Clarksville decide not to host is anybodys guess. Only they know all the reasons.

Once again I think most around the state thought Clarksville did a great job.

You're showing your bias. I can ride the fence and typically defend the Chattanooga area teams as not actually being as bad as people make them out to be BUT articles like this are great for reinforcing the so called "hate all things Chattanooga" mentality.

Showing Bias???

You said he was "Belittling everything not Chattanooga".

I show parts of the article were that was not the case and I'm showing Bias?

I find it difficult to beleive someone would attack Coach Jordan. He is by far one of the best coachs in the State or you could say Nation as he was a national coach of the year. He has taken two different programs, that were not much prior to him, to state championships. Look at the number of ex-wrestlers that are now coaches and refs. I've never heard of anyone having as many ex-wrestlers become coaches. He is "great" and inspires greatness in those that wrestle for him.

Rigger - Perhaps you forget. WG writes for the Times-Free Press in CHATTANOOGA. I'm pretty sure he doen't give a hoot what anyone in Clarksville or Middle TN thinks about his articles. They don't sell many papers up that way.

As for your One Man Campaign to relocate the State Tournament....Here's a quote from Ronnie Carter In another one of WG's articles.

.......and to be honest there aren??™t a whole lot of people going out of their way to host the state wrestling tournament,???..........Ronnie Carter.

Better fire up that keyboard again. Doesn't look like you're have much impact.

Way to state the obvious cajun breath! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Since I have lived and had son's wrestle in Chattanooga, Kingsport, Knoxville and Hendersonville.

I might have a perspective that your lacking. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I might be Don Quixote on this subject but I'm stating a gripe from other parts of the state I have hear over the last 10 years.

I dont think Ward was bashing holding the tournament in Clarksville. I think he made some valid suggestions on how the situation could be remedied and his first and foremost suggestion was to keep it in Clarkesville not take it anywhere.

His assessment of some of the problems had nothing to do with growing the sport. It was directed at the specific handling of certain things and certain antics and accusations(real or perceived) that ruffled peoples feathers. I think that was his analysis(right or wrong)of what could help change feelings on both sides.

He obviously thinks Coach Jordan has disdain for Chattanooga area teams and officials based on Coach Jordans comments. If Coach Jordans quotes to him are accurately described then he may have a point. However He basically expressed his opinion that one person shouldnt change the venue because of hurt feeling but rather make a few small changes and keep it there.

Whether or not that is what happened to make Clarksville decide not to host is anybodys guess. Only they know all the reasons.

Once again I think most around the state thought Clarksville did a great job.

The comments Jordan made were valid. Refs from any region shouldn't ref matches with that regions team in it at State. It is in the rules but is an unobserved rule. At the very least it gives that team an advantage as they know how that ref calls things. All refs are a little different by individual and by region.

About why Clarksville decided not to host. Well you can ask him. It's because people whined. He doesn't go for whining from his wrestlers or from those that should be thankful that he helped save the tournament in the first place. Basically if you don't like do it yourself.

Now someone else can COWBOY UP and put it on.

Showing Bias???

You said he was "Belittling everything not Chattanooga".

I show parts of the article were that was not the case and I'm showing Bias?

I think it is like the Bible. It may say the same thing but folks seam to have lot's of war's over it.

I'm sure it wasn't the good things the times said it was the items that followed like these!

The comments ??” complaints, if you will ??” included Jordan enjoying a decided home-gym advantage, and they went beyond Clarksville wrestlers sleeping in their own beds, dressing in their own locker room or warming up in their own wrestling room.

Why? Because Chattanooga continues to dominate the state duals.

We??™re likely talking about a deep and burning desire with Jordan to compete with the Bradley Centrals, the Clevelands, the Ooltewahs and the Soddy-Daisys. There is nothing wrong to compete with and, if you??™re good enough, beat such teams. Those teams, however, have won the majority of the Class AAA state duals championships and yet were silent for years about wanting a ???level playing field.???

There is plenty of interest in level playing fields and that interest should supersede one man??™s somewhat stilted perspective of right and wrong.

Here's a blog by one of the Leaf Chronicle sports writers from last week. Hopefully this gives some more insight on the issue.

Coaches need to stop crying about state duals

Posted by georgerobinson at 2/9/2009 10:04 PM CST on theleafchronicle.com

I'm sure not many of you know who Ward Gossett is. He's the sports writer for the Chattanooga Times Free Press and he knows everything there is to know about high school wrestling in Tennessee. He covers some of the most dominating programs in the state with the likes of Bradley Central, Soddy Daisy, Notre Dame and Cleveland. Ward's a good guy and a good writer and he's been a heckava help to me during my three years at The Leaf-Chronicle.

Well it seems that Gossett wrote an article this weekend, after the state wrestling duals at Clarksville High, about how most of the coaches (or eastern Tennessee wrestling coaches) are fed up with Clarksville hosting the state duals. According to his article, schools like Bradley and Cleveland find it an unfair advantage for CHS to hold the event. They feel like the TSSAA should revert back to the old way of rotating the state duals, instead of allowing Clarksville to host it each year.

Now I don't hold any bias on this issue because I'm neither a graduate of CHS or a native of Clarksville. I'm from Louisville, Ky., so my allegiance lies somewhere 3 hours north of here. But I'm not really getting the whole argument because I'm not too sure I agree with the whole "unfair advantage" that Clarksville supposedly has. Last time I checked, CHS won the state championship (its only one) in 2000. That's 9 years ago! They been state runner up about two other times? Bradley has won it three times in four years. Notre Dame won 3 straight in A/AA before Saturday's loss to Hixon.

So who has the advantage again?

Oh yeah, that's right -- Clarksville.

Listen, journalist know probably better than most that you're not going to please everyone all the time. You're certainly not going to make a ton of friends when you're hosting a state event (just ask Middle Tennessee State). But even Soddy coach Steve Henry said it himself (in Gossett's article) that before CHS hosted the state duals, the tournament was run poorly. Since CHS has hosted it, it's been taken to a new level. I'm not ready to hand any state titles to CHS just because it's their gym everyone is in. At the end of the day it's about those kids on that mat and I've witnessed three state duals and I have yet to see any kid or team "exhausted" from travel.

I heard the complaints this weekend. I heard the parents complain about the air conditioning. I heard one actually suggest that her husband (who apparently is a air conditioning expert) would be wiling to fix CHS' problems. I heard the complaints about how CHS's wrestlers get to wrestle on their own mat. Excuse me but I saw Soddy dominated the Wildcats on that mat for third place just as CHS beat Independence on that mat prior to facing Sodd ... as if that mat held some sort of magical powers.

I can see why teams would favor a rotation, but the truth is, Nashville wouldn't be that interested in holding the 3A or A/AA state duals. They already hold the private school state tournament. I'm not sure Murfreesboro would want it (they have Spring Fling). If you think the eastern Tennessee schools hate driving to Clarksville, they're certainly not going to haul their people to western end of the state like Jackson or Memphis.

Clarksville's the host for now and they've been a pretty good host at that. The CHS team, led by Artie Manning, have to do a thankless job and a daunting one at that. So appreciate what you have before it's gone.

The comments Jordan made were valid. Refs from any region shouldn't ref matches with that regions team in it at State. It is in the rules but is an unobserved rule. At the very least it gives that team an advantage as they know how that ref calls things. All refs are a little different by individual and by region.

It's because people whined.

Ok UncleDoug that was one post to many. I was with you till this one. I like Jeff as well as the next guy believe me. Please tell me where in the rule book it states you can not ref a match of a team from the region you are from. I am still waiting where is it. I will wait a little longer. Can not find it can you. I did not think so. One of the refs in that Cleveland match was from Nashville. Yes Nashville and is in the TWHOF with Jeff. Now like I said I like Jeff so do not think I am bashing Jeff when I say when it comes to whining Jeff has perfected it. Just think of how many times Jeff has gone to the table with his arms raised and that look on his face like someone just ran over his prized cow. Now you know that look. Now remember the look on his face when he looks at the fans on his way back from the table to the bench. I know you know what I am talking about we all talk about it everytime we watch Clarksville wrestle. Again I am not bashing Jeff I like Jeff very much. I am just stating the obvious.

Did someone take a whiz in your Wheaties? You been kind of grumpy lately.

Did you ever think it might be cheapest to run the traditional tournament in Chattanooga? Venues cost money...lots of money.

Did you ever think with Baylor, McCallie, Soddy-Daisy, Cleveland, Notre Dame, Red Bank, East Ridge, Hixson, Bradley Central and others near by that they have a pretty good group of volunteers to run the tournament in Chattanooga?

From my side I know what it's like to find 12 nice clocks if you don't happen to have them. Along with 12 really nice mats. What part of Tennessee has the best table workers? The best trainers? Where else are 15 sets of scales? A ton of mat tape? Where is the biggest referee association? There's more to running a tournament than the building.

It's like AA (right BCB)....you need a big support group to support the tournament. It's allot more than location.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't understand you guys hammering Chattanooga.

Tell him RMC!!! Not just anyone can make popcorn. Seriously, even with all the local support it takes Hours of work just to man the consession stands for 3 full days. The number of volunteers necessary to man 3 busy concession stands is difficult to find even in a wrestling town.

/hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Tell him RMC!!! Not just anyone can make popcorn. Seriously, even with all the local support it takes Hours of work just to man the consession stands for 3 full days. The number of volunteers necessary to man 3 busy concession stands is difficult to find even in a wrestling town.

Come on Feller's be kind just trying to be a voice out in the wilderness of TN wrestling. Not everyone can live in the land of "Milk and Honey" of TN Wrestling. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

When my family moved to Kingsport and my oldest was going undefeated in AAU. I knew that came from his time on Chattanooga area mats. It is my fav area in TN but again just telling how the other 80% of the state feels.

/hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

.............but again just telling how the other 80% of the state feels.

I'm calling serious BS on that statement Rigger. Just because a couple of clowns on CoachT chime in to agree with your weird chopped up rants, it only adds up to only about .0000000000001%....not 80%.