Who will win the Lipscomb vs. Goodpasture game??

Mustang

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by JohnJohn:

Sorry but I think you guys are classless. That's even before I was involved with the rivalry. Lipscomb may win this week but I promise there will be no congrats from this end. Especially after Mac got mad last year and wouldn't hold a post season awards for the region because his guy wasn't player of the year. This is the first time in recent histroy they haven't had one.

JohnJohn

I have enjoyed your posts. You seem like an intelligent, level headed person. Your post about "Coach Mac" canceling the post season banquet last year both puzzled and bothered me. It doesn't sound like the coach Mac I know. Since I have kids at Lipscomb, I dropped by his office and asked him about it. My response is too long, but I felt compelled to post it.

Glenn said that: 1-a vote was taken among ALL coaches at last year's regional meeting and a majority voted to not hold a banquet, 2-"His guy"-Ethan Flatt-was named the offensive player of the year by the region coaches, 3-Coach Mac personally voted for Chase Eakes for the overall player of the year (which I think Eakes won) "because he deserved the award"-Coach Mac's own words.

I don't know where you got your info from, but I got mine straight from the horse's (or Mustang's) mouth.

We also talked about the 94 situation. The explanation from Vandyfan1 about Lipscomb having punting problems and not wanting a blocked punt on tape was what Coach Mac related to me. Did you know Lipscomb took a deliberate delay of game penalty on the play before the fake punt to run time off the clock? This hardly sounds like a man who is trying to run up the score. He was trying to avoid having a blocked punt on a week 10 tape for future playoff opponents to see. He felt really bad about the unintended impression that the play left and tried his best to make it right. He sent letters to both Coach Martin and to Mr. McCarley apologizing for the appeareance of "evil" and explaning his intentions. I think in hindsight, he would have handled it differently during the 94 game, but coaches don't always make the best choices during games. He tried to make it right.

While your fans may continue to dwell on 94 and our fans may dwell on Goodpasture's hurry up offense at the end of last year's game, I am going to dwell on something I vividly remember from the 2000 game.

Goodpasture stopped a 2 point play by Lipscomb in OT to win the game. A devastated Justin Chunn lay on the field. I watched many Goodpasture players walk over to him and console him. They showed a great deal of class.

Coach Mac's friends will tell you he is a fine Christian man. I would imagine that Coach Martin's friends would say the same about him. Enjoy a great game tomorrow night. May the better team win and may all of us act with class during and after the game.

Posted by DLHSisbest:

Why is everyone thinking DL is going to lose. Thats fine with me that just gets us more pumped up. It's going to be an awesome game, close as usual. This game should be on CSS as game of the week. Goodpasture and Lipscomb are always very good and always make a run in the playoffs.

I like your enthusiasm! I hope all Lipscomb fans get fired up for this game. Basically we have the Region championship on the line. Lipscomb fans lets get there early & get your game faces on. We know coach Mac will have the guys ready. It's time to de-throne the Cougars. Good Luck DLHS!

It bothers me when someone talks about Coach Mac. I know a lot of coaches throughout the state and he is a coach that I would want my son to play for. He is a man of great integrity and charachter. Coach Martin is a good coach also, but don't question the heart of Coach Mac.

Posted by tackle:
Posted by JohnJohn:

Sorry but I think you guys are classless. That's even before I was involved with the rivalry. Lipscomb may win this week but I promise there will be no congrats from this end. Especially after Mac got mad last year and wouldn't hold a post season awards for the region because his guy wasn't player of the year. This is the first time in recent histroy they haven't had one.

JohnJohn

I have enjoyed your posts. You seem like an intelligent, level headed person. Your post about "Coach Mac" canceling the post season banquet last year both puzzled and bothered me. It doesn't sound like the coach Mac I know. Since I have kids at Lipscomb, I dropped by his office and asked him about it. My response is too long, but I felt compelled to post it.

Glenn said that: 1-a vote was taken among ALL coaches at last year's regional meeting and a majority voted to not hold a banquet, 2-"His guy"-Ethan Flatt-was named the offensive player of the year by the region coaches, 3-Coach Mac personally voted for Chase Eakes for the overall player of the year (which I think Eakes won) "because he deserved the award"-Coach Mac's own words.

I don't know where you got your info from, but I got mine straight from the horse's (or Mustang's) mouth.

We also talked about the 94 situation. The explanation from Vandyfan1 about Lipscomb having punting problems and not wanting a blocked punt on tape was what Coach Mac related to me. Did you know Lipscomb took a deliberate delay of game penalty on the play before the fake punt to run time off the clock? This hardly sounds like a man who is trying to run up the score. He was trying to avoid having a blocked punt on a week 10 tape for future playoff opponents to see. He felt really bad about the unintended impression that the play left and tried his best to make it right. He sent letters to both Coach Martin and to Mr. McCarley apologizing for the appeareance of "evil" and explaning his intentions. I think in hindsight, he would have handled it differently during the 94 game, but coaches don't always make the best choices during games. He tried to make it right.

While your fans may continue to dwell on 94 and our fans may dwell on Goodpasture's hurry up offense at the end of last year's game, I am going to dwell on something I vividly remember from the 2000 game.

Goodpasture stopped a 2 point play by Lipscomb in OT to win the game. A devastated Justin Chunn lay on the field. I watched many Goodpasture players walk over to him and console him. They showed a great deal of class.

Coach Mac's friends will tell you he is a fine Christian man. I would imagine that Coach Martin's friends would say the same about him. Enjoy a great game tomorrow night. May the better team win and may all of us act with class during and after the game.

A good mark for you, tackle. It is so refreshing to see the rare display of actual facts and first person observations to back up a claim on these boards, not to mention good sportsmanship. Generally, one only sees wanton bashing and emotional hogwash, so thanks again, and hope your team plays well tomorrow.

This post is not to put down either coach, but I know both coaches. If you ask any coach who knows both of these men who has the most class between the two, Coach Mac would get over 90% of the votes. Not that Coach Martin isn't a good guy, he just doesn't always make wise decisions and gets on peoples bad side. If you want to know about Coach Mac and him having class, I would put him up against anyone in the state.

Prediction for the game:

David Lipscomb 28 Goodpasture 21

:);):):x:):o:o:o:o:o:o:o

The only reason i brought of the fake punt in '94 was to show the Goodpasture side of the incedident. All us players were told during the week of the '95 games and '96 game that was totally disrepect and go show them what a mistake they made. In 1996 we were the first Goodpasture to even win at Lipscomb. AS for last year i did not attend the game so i can not comment on it. But i would not be surprised if Goodpasture tried to run up the score. We did it to Davidson in '96 to send them a message won 68-20. I played for coach martin for 4 years and i think he is a good coach but i really dont respect him personally, i think he is too cocky and arrogent. It wasnt all that long ago that he had three straight 6-6 seasons and 3-7 and 5-6 seasons so he needs to realize what he has and be thankful for this run he is on.

As a GHS Graduate i will be pulling for Lipscomb to win this one 17-16

Nice Post Tackle. I was in a particularly fiesty mood the other day when I wrote that. I have debated pulling the earlier post but I thought why not get the week started the right way with a little spice. One of my close family members played on the '94 team for Lipscomb. And yes he was a starter. I'm not a big fan of coach Mac for issues that come from that Lipscomb association. Also Coach Mac did not lie to you about the banquet. He just left out what he thought should happen. My problem with it was that those guys deserved that opportunity, including Flatt and Santiago, and I think Phillip made it didn't he. But from those I talked to, most of whom where not from Goodpasture, Coach Mac was a major player in not wanting that for the kids. But I also admit that I have a personal issue with him. Normally I'm not a big talker but anytime one of my teams play against him I have to speak up.

So today when the guy runs up the middle walkway in chapel and asks you where Goodpasture is and you reply with the whole step in it line....Just remember, that's what this week is all about. Good luck to you gentlemen this week and may both teams play a safe game.

[Edited by JohnJohn on 9-5-02 10:18A]

I can only speak from our experience with both schools. Lipscomb was very classy when we played them. They didn't mouth or taunt even when we beat them. Godpasture was the most arrogant, cocky, mouthing, taunting, cheap shotting team we played in all of the years we were in the same region. :) I, for one, am glad we don't have to play them anymore. ;) I really don't care who wins, but I do think both should be where they belong(division II).

Posted by Antwan:

I can only speak from our experience with both schools. Lipscomb was very classy when we played them. They didn't mouth or taunt even when we beat them. Godpasture was the most arrogant, cocky, mouthing, taunting, cheap shotting team we played in all of the years we were in the same region. :) I, for one, am glad we don't have to play them anymore. ;) I really don't care who wins, but I do think both should be where they belong(division II).

Antwan, I always believe a team gets its personality from their coaches. It might be true in this case.