TSSAA Needs to look at this

LeatherBalls

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thread. I don't think enough is done in this regard.

The post season could be condensed if the girls and boys played at the same time. Heck, it would help if they would just alternate every other year and let the boys play first every other year.

Small schools absolutely need all the athletes they can playing every sport. 9 of our basketball players are on the baseball team. That's not insignificant.

Travel ball and AAU should never dictate what happens with school ball. They are going to get more weeks of good weather for baseball as it is and they more or less end their seasons the first week in July. They will adjust to the high school schedule, not vice versa.

I say make week 0 week 1 in football and play 10 straight weeks of regular season. First round of playoffs is around Halloween, championships are weekend after Thanksgiving. Basketball plays 10 straight weeks of regular season starting the Monday after Thanksgiving through the first week of February. Districts the second week, regions the third week, state the 4th. Baseball starts the week after state and runs 10 weeks to the middle of May. Districts the 3rd week in May, Regions the last week of May and state the 1st week of June. Give every sport the same number of weeks of regular season and 3 weeks of post-season except for football which has 5. Allow the next sport to begin practice as soon as the regular season is complete for the previous sport.

Substate, sectionals, whatever. It's all state. The districts are now all the same. Set districts and regions and then go on to state. Girls and boys play at the same times. If either are on separate sites or they alternate days on the same site. I don't know why the basketball is separated as it is when none of the other sports are. Baseball players whose teams make it to state lose a week basically so the girls can have their own stage? Give me a break!

Now, we've got to work on making sense of the baseball post season where there's a game in the middle that doesn't really matter.

Unfortunately, Tennessee probably will do something to the baseball season and baseball people won't like it. It's already happened in so many states . . . especially Florida, Texas, Southern California and some other areas in the southwest where you have elite high school age players playing travel ball (USSSA) not for their schools. I can see high school ball not existing in 20 years and the TSSAA likely would prefer it since baseball gates typically pay the umps . . . if you're lucky . . . and don't contribute to the operating budget like football and basketball.

It would be a sad day to me but I can see it happening.

Unfortunately, Tennessee probably will do something to the baseball season and baseball people won't like it. It's already happened in so many states . . . especially Florida, Texas, Southern California and some other areas in the southwest where you have elite high school age players playing travel ball (USSSA) not for their schools. I can see high school ball not existing in 20 years and the TSSAA likely would prefer it since baseball gates typically pay the umps . . . if you're lucky . . . and don't contribute to the operating budget like football and basketball.

It would be a sad day to me but I can see it happening.

If the TSSAA does anything more to discourage baseball, they might as well do away with it. Basically cutting out fall ball didnt help. If you take two weeks off the front end of the baseball season, all you will be doing is cutting baseball playing time by two weeks. There are only so many weeks from March 1 to Aug 1 PERIOD. You will not, under any circumstances, get the TSSAA to delay football practice a week in July so forget that.

If the TSSAA does anything more to discourage baseball, they might as well do away with it. Basically cutting out fall ball didnt help. If you take two weeks off the front end of the baseball season, all you will be doing is cutting baseball playing time by two weeks. There are only so many weeks from March 1 to Aug 1 PERIOD. You will not, under any circumstances, get the TSSAA to delay football practice a week in July so forget that.

Two sports pay the bills: football and basketball. That's reality in high school and college.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

T$$AA ruined basketball tournaments by allowing only 2 games per night during the week. That in turn has forced districts and regions to drag out their tournaments which runs them into baseball. It is all about the $$$.

That may be so....but I'd rather watch a good baseball game any day of the week! I'm sure there are those who would disagree but that is just my reality!!!

I was at the State tournament (Softball and baseball) last year. I was also at the State Wrestling tourney this year. It is very simple here. The problem is TSSAA. Everywhere I turn I hear coaches complaining about TSSAA, but no one is willing to do anything about it. Until a majority of schools across the state stand up and band together, then they need to quit whining.

Two sports pay the bills: football and basketball. That's reality in high school and college.

If its only about money then do away with all of it cause none. I repeat, none of the sports are totally self supporting. Football cant pay salaries of coaches, equipment, insurance, etc. Basketball might make it cause of the number of games but some nights they cant pay the refs bills.

Good thread. I don't think enough is done in this regard.

The post season could be condensed if the girls and boys played at the same time. Heck, it would help if they would just alternate every other year and let the boys play first every other year.

Small schools absolutely need all the athletes they can playing every sport. 9 of our basketball players are on the baseball team. That's not insignificant.

Travel ball and AAU should never dictate what happens with school ball. They are going to get more weeks of good weather for baseball as it is and they more or less end their seasons the first week in July. They will adjust to the high school schedule, not vice versa.

I say make week 0 week 1 in football and play 10 straight weeks of regular season. First round of playoffs is around Halloween, championships are weekend after Thanksgiving. Basketball plays 10 straight weeks of regular season starting the Monday after Thanksgiving through the first week of February. Districts the second week, regions the third week, state the 4th. Baseball starts the week after state and runs 10 weeks to the middle of May. Districts the 3rd week in May, Regions the last week of May and state the 1st week of June. Give every sport the same number of weeks of regular season and 3 weeks of post-season except for football which has 5. Allow the next sport to begin practice as soon as the regular season is complete for the previous sport.

Substate, sectionals, whatever. It's all state. The districts are now all the same. Set districts and regions and then go on to state. Girls and boys play at the same times. If either are on separate sites or they alternate days on the same site. I don't know why the basketball is separated as it is when none of the other sports are. Baseball players whose teams make it to state lose a week basically so the girls can have their own stage? Give me a break!

Now, we've got to work on making sense of the baseball post season where there's a game in the middle that doesn't really matter.

First week of regular season play in baseball is the same week as the boys state basketball tourney. We have only ten kids who can physically throw a ball right now (3 out b/c doctor's orders) and six, possibly seven on the basketball team. Four of those players are first-year players. The freshmen have basically lost an entire year of baseball and they don't even have a uniform for games. Baseball skills are rotting away each day. Not that I have a problem with our Bball coaches b/c they will do what they can to help us, but at this stage, those kids can come to baseball and go sit in a jump suit for games. I don't blame coaches, I blame the system (TSSAA). /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

First week of regular season play in baseball is the same week as the boys state basketball tourney. We have only ten kids who can physically throw a ball right now (3 out b/c doctor's orders) and six, possibly seven on the basketball team. Four of those players are first-year players. The freshmen have basically lost an entire year of baseball and they don't even have a uniform for games. Baseball skills are rotting away each day. Not that I have a problem with our Bball coaches b/c they will do what they can to help us, but at this stage, those kids can come to baseball and go sit in a jump suit for games. I don't blame coaches, I blame the system (TSSAA). /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Once u reach High School you should have made your choice on what sport you want to play.. u can only get a scholarship in one so pic one and be the best you can be at it and dont complain about the seasons. They are how they are.