Is it time to split public, for individual state

drem2acheve

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it time to split D-1 into small and large for individual state. Would this help wrestling grow

among the smaller schools. We have 160 plus teams I believe, is it something to look at,

would it help this great sport in Tn. it seems to have helped in surrounding states. Just a thought.

I've been on both sides of this issue and still don't know what I would do if I were in charge.

I guess it would be helpful to see the schools that would be in small and large divisions and how this would have affected the wrestlers this year. One thing that has to be factored in is some of the larger schools are having the most trouble fielding a full team and qualifying wrestlers to get to states.

I am also fearful of our friendly TSSAA cutting the brackets down to 16 rather than the current 32 for public schools. If the goal is to expand wrestling than I would think keeping the 32 man bracket for large public schools and ADDING a 16 man bracket for small schools may be worth considering. If it is simply dividing the current format into 2 16 man brackets or some combination of 8 man brackets with no net gain in wrestlers attending states, why bother changing at all ?

I guess it would be helpful to see the schools that would be in small and large divisions and how this would have affected the wrestlers this year. One thing that has to be factored in is some of the larger schools are having the most trouble fielding a full team and qualifying wrestlers to get to states.

I am also fearful of our friendly TSSAA cutting the brackets down to 16 rather than the current 32 for public schools. If the goal is to expand wrestling than I would think keeping the 32 man bracket for large public schools and ADDING a 16 man bracket for small schools may be worth considering. If it is simply dividing the current format into 2 16 man brackets or some combination of 8 man brackets with no net gain in wrestlers attending states, why bother changing at all ?

Part one, it would be exactly the same as for the duals--AAA schools on one side, A and AA on the other.

Part two, where in the schedule do you insert the extra 350 matches?

Part one, it would be exactly the same as for the duals--AAA schools on one side, A and AA on the other.

Plenty of dead time 2nd and 3rd day. First day for D-1 could easily start earlier and wrestle 2 more rounds.

you simply insert it at another venue.. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

but the TSSAA will never go for it because they are a bunch of idiots... IMHO /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

California only has one division in wrestling and the great state of PA has two and you now want to divide Tennessee into three? With the split (D1 & D2) that Tennessee has a 16 man bracket should be used for D1 and an 8 man bracket should be used for D2. I do like the idea that someone on this board had to combine everyone and keep a D1 & D2 team score.

If the economy continues to stay down don't be shocked if the TSSAA takes some major cost cutting measures to every sport including wrestling. While the TSSAA does not have to make a ton of $$$ they do need to make some profit and place it in a rainy day savings fund. I have been told that the physical building that the TSSAA owns needs major repairs as nothing has been done in many years.

So who cares what other states do, we want wrestling to grow in Tennessee.

More teams having success means more people will get into it.

The TSSAA shouldn't be effected by the economy as they are not selling things to the public they have a set number of schools as clients and will make the same every year (unless they run the state on Wed-Fri again).

More state tournaments mean more parents and spectators which means more tickets.

Economy won't effect parents wanting to see their kids.

just remember the TSSAA is affected by the economy IF the public or private schools that are part of the program drop sports because of budget constraints and cutbacks. this is a very interesting string.............. there are some options, that could have promise while boosting the economy of the chatt area and intrest in wrestling.......... D1 AAA change to double elim stay at the Roundhouse along with D2. A timestudy would prove that D1 can be run on the same 3 days with a 2 hour earlier start on day 1 and as mentioned previously use some of the dead time during day 2 and 3. Then D1 A-AA could be run simutaneously at McKlellan (sp) on day 2 and 3, as is D2 currently. Then all 3 finals could take place in the roundhouse on the final day............ what a great event!!

looks good on paper!!

So who cares what other states do, we want wrestling to grow in Tennessee.

More teams having success means more people will get into it.

The TSSAA shouldn't be effected by the economy as they are not selling things to the public they have a set number of schools as clients and will make the same every year (unless they run the state on Wed-Fri again).

More state tournaments mean more parents and spectators which means more tickets.

Economy won't effect parents wanting to see their kids.

"So who cares what other states do, we want wrestling to grow Tennessee" California and PA are two of the best wrestling states in the USA. Is your goal not to raise the level of wrestling in Tennessee where you are able to compete (head to head) with the best states in the USA?

I also would like to see wrestling grow in Tennessee but IMO, you don't grow the sport by "watering down" the competition and handing out more gold medals. If you want more kids to "feel good" about their accomplishments then add three more divisions in wrestling.

no come on is this not basically the same thing as d1 and d2, if u have three classes that makes three first place winners and even more bickering and arguing about who would win if they were combined, it is good like it is come on the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but it may be better to stay where we r. the sport will grow on it's on with more and more schools having middle school and aau programs