Why Does TSSAA do a Blind Draw?

hooptroop

So do we need to add astericks to those champions that have won state with a blind draw determining thier spots in the bracket?

To quote parisriverrat a little with my own little bit added in, in my best Gatlin Brothers voice...

"All the gold*, in Jackson Co., is tainted....."

If you are going to win the gold ball you got to beat a good team at some point.

exactly, and on another note there is no guarantee that the two best teams will make it to saturday so lets end all doubt and let them play wednesday lol

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A blind draw with the exception of putting teams in the same district in opposite brackets is the only fair way to do it. Any other seeding method is subjective since they are all playing different schedules in different regions of the state. You can't really compare schedule to schedule for the sake of the tournament seedings. And it's just my opinion, but I can guarantee you no coach or team is going to state to win 2nd place. They all have the gold ball in mind, how close you get to it and not win is almost irrelevant. To win it, you have to win every game no matter who you play, its that simple.

Why do we pull names out of a hat to determine the schedule for the STATE Tournament?

Most states do it by sections....with the top 4 meeting in State...

And the cycle continues. Three years ago, the TSSAA pre-bracketed the draw based on sectional winners and people were screaming for a blind draw as it had been done in the past. Now that we are back to the blind draw, people are screaming for some other system. Such is life I guess. My personal opinion...the blind draw is by far the best way to go (separating teams from the same region of course). There is no way to seed fairly and the pre-bracketing system was a flop and not very fun. You could get in situations where you may want to lose a region championship in order to be in the opposite bracket of the "best" team at the state tournament. It is better not knowing anything about what the brackets will be and just pulling teams out randomly at the draw. Styles of play, competition, coaching, etc., differs so much around this state, so there is no seeding system that would be fair anyway.

It's HIGH SCHOOL sports folks. PLEASE let's not go there.........

Every team in this tournament had to beat someone good to get here. I hate the see Clarkrange & Forrest in the first round, Forrest is from a good district with 2 teams ranked in the top ten here this year. Only they made it. We have three seasons in high school ball, the regular season, district tournaments and the regions. You have to win the first round games of the district and regions to advance. You can actually lose 3 games from district on and still get into the big dance.

The sectionals on you have to win. So actually you can say if you make it to the regions you are in the top 64. Is that not ranked? Do you know how many GOOD teams were beat in the first round of the regions and the sectionals that proved they were better than some of those that made it to the final 8? Thats why this is so exciting. Forrest for instance lost a district game to Cascade. But since then have played flawless basketball and if they put it together against Clarkrange have to be the favorite to win the A crown. But the games have to be played and the brackets played out...

let's not change what works and has for years.

It's HIGH SCHOOL sports folks. PLEASE let's not go there.........

Every team in this tournament had to beat someone good to get here. I hate the see Clarkrange & Forrest in the first round, Forrest is from a good district with 2 teams ranked in the top ten here this year. Only they made it. We have three seasons in high school ball, the regular season, district tournaments and the regions. You have to win the first round games of the district and regions to advance. You can actually lose 3 games from district on and still get into the big dance.

The sectionals on you have to win. So actually you can say if you make it to the regions you are in the top 64. Is that not ranked? Do you know how many GOOD teams were beat in the first round of the regions and the sectionals that proved they were better than some of those that made it to the final 8? Thats why this is so exciting. Forrest for instance lost a district game to Cascade. But since then have played flawless basketball and if they put it together against Clarkrange have to be the favorite to win the A crown. But the games have to be played and the brackets played out...

let's not change what works and has for years.

Well said! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And the cycle continues. Three years ago, the TSSAA pre-bracketed the draw based on sectional winners and people were screaming for a blind draw as it had been done in the past. Now that we are back to the blind draw, people are screaming for some other system. Such is life I guess. My personal opinion...the blind draw is by far the best way to go (separating teams from the same region of course). There is no way to seed fairly and the pre-bracketing system was a flop and not very fun. You could get in situations where you may want to lose a region championship in order to be in the opposite bracket of the "best" team at the state tournament. It is better not knowing anything about what the brackets will be and just pulling teams out randomly at the draw. Styles of play, competition, coaching, etc., differs so much around this state, so there is no seeding system that would be fair anyway.

The majority agree with the blind draw as the only fair way. Only a few disagree.

Where is the love for OS, I think they may be better than Forrest.

I agree with that. OS has to be up there with anyone else. They have had some inconsistencies, but have came out on top even when they have played bad.

I will agree. Who says that Forrest is second best?

Apparently KGM is saying he feels Forrest is second best....Looks to me like he'd be happy to take the 'silver ball' and not even show up......You gotta win three games to get the 'gold ball'. Who really cares in what order you do it? .............It takes a good team and lots of luck to win a championship........... Sometimes some of that luck comes in the blind draw.............If you have any faith in your team at all, why would you want it any other way? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Apparently KGM is saying he feels Forrest is second best....Looks to me like he'd be happy to take the 'silver ball' and not even show up......You gotta win three games to get the 'gold ball'. Who really cares in what order you do it? .............It takes a good team and lots of luck to win a championship........... Sometimes some of that luck comes in the blind draw.............If you have any faith in your team at all, why would you want it any other way? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

More chanting from the peanut gallery. I am not a fan of Forrest but I do respect the program and the tremendous accomplishment they've achieved in going 29-3 this year. The same for the 36-0 Lady Buffaloes of Clarkrange. These two are #1 and #2 in the state of the teams left and both deserve to have a chance to play each other in the final to determine the one champion. The only ones being cheated here are the athletes themselves because you're telling them that the victories in the regular season mean nothing. Just get to state and hope that the draw comes out OK. I understand the reasoning behind the draw but you should at least determine who is #1 and who is #2 and put them in opposite brackets. Anything to make the final game legitimate. Of course how hard can it be to seed the final eight teams? It should have no bearing on sub-state/sectionals, region games, etc. Just look at the eight in the state tourney and seed them based upon whatever system you decide to use. The one here at Coach T would be fine with me. At least have a basis to rank from. A blind draw is a cop out but at least everyone knows it is unbiased which is the only positive about it.

More chanting from the peanut gallery. I am not a fan of Forrest but I do respect the program and the tremendous accomplishment they've achieved in going 29-3 this year. The same for the 36-0 Lady Buffaloes of Clarkrange. These two are #1 and #2 in the state of the teams left and both deserve to have a chance to play each other in the final to determine the one champion. The only ones being cheated here are the athletes themselves because you're telling them that the victories in the regular season mean nothing. Just get to state and hope that the draw comes out OK. I understand the reasoning behind the draw but you should at least determine who is #1 and who is #2 and put them in opposite brackets. Anything to make the final game legitimate. Of course how hard can it be to seed the final eight teams? It should have no bearing on sub-state/sectionals, region games, etc. Just look at the eight in the state tourney and seed them based upon whatever system you decide to use. The one here at Coach T would be fine with me. At least have a basis to rank from. A blind draw is a cop out but at least everyone knows it is unbiased which is the only positive about it.

Ok lets go by CoachT....As of right now Jackson County is #2 (still, so there must be aomething to it) and has the #1 toughest schedule in A ball. they have been ranked #2 pretty much the whole season by the AP writers...Lets call Coach Brown and tell him his team in...Who are we gona tell to go home?

Come on it is what it is? Have your team win 3 and be done! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Oh dang it I was going to try and keep my mouth shut on this one ( Yeah right? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ) but if you are going to have a "blind draw" then why should it be okay to make sure teams from the same District are in opposite brackets re: CR and Pickett ????? Shouldn't they have to take the same chance as everyone else?? If they get picked to play each other ....oh well...... it's a blind draw??? Forrest and Cornersville are from the same County but different Regions but still support each other and could have had a first round game against each other???? It just seems right if it's truly unbiased shouldn't matter if you are from the same District or not.....again a blind draw should be just that and this was not.