South Gibson High School

backdoor

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt it... Gibson Co. will most likely drop to Single A in girls basketball.... and if you've seen our Freshman class this year.... you'd know exactly why we'll be ok, lol. Gibson Co. could most definately be a 1A powerhouse!!!! If we stay in AA after losing all these students, we might have to work just a little bit harder to keep where we are at. Afterall, this is Gibson Co. girls basketball we're talking about...

Is the school going to open up and accept students in grades 9 - 12 or are they going to just be opening up for like freshman and sophomores this year, then adding a class every year. I hope whoever reads this understands what I am talking about. GC Pioneer, you seem pretty knowledgeable. Who are the front runners or are there any? What about a certain assistant coach moving to the new school. Is there any chance of that happening?

Phil Rogers, former long-time JCM AD is the new principal, he selected the football coach, a relative unknown asst. from Crockett Co., and young. I would look for the same type moves in basketball. Someone young and familiar with the school and school system. Based on this, one name looks to surface to me, Adam Vaughan, current Middle school girls coach. Played on state tourney teams at Greenfield, son of long time educator Jackie Vaughan, so he is somewhat connected. As for the boys, I think several will apply but again look for youth. Phil will try to build the programs from the ground up the right way, and not quickly with someone just coming in from another program for a year or two. On the boys side, I would say two guys to look at would be the asst. coach for Shepard at Milan, and the Lowery kid at Dyer Middle, they won the TNT two years ago.

May wind up being some other folks but don't be suprised if they are young too.

Phil Rogers, former long-time JCM AD is the new principal, he selected the football coach, a relative unknown asst. from Crockett Co., and young. I would look for the same type moves in basketball. Someone young and familiar with the school and school system. Based on this, one name looks to surface to me, Adam Vaughan, current Middle school girls coach. Played on state tourney teams at Greenfield, son of long time educator Jackie Vaughan, so he is somewhat connected. As for the boys, I think several will apply but again look for youth. Phil will try to build the programs from the ground up the right way, and not quickly with someone just coming in from another program for a year or two. On the boys side, I would say two guys to look at would be the asst. coach for Shepard at Milan, and the Lowery kid at Dyer Middle, they won the TNT two years ago.

May wind up being some other folks but don't be suprised if they are young too.

I would be shocked if they tried to build a program with young coaches. That makes no sense at all. If someone gets the job based on "connections" that would really start a program off on the wrong foot. The new football coach may be an unknown but he is coming from one of the best football programs in the state. Anybody that was on P.A. Pratt's staff gets 2 thumbs up from me. You have to have experience to build a program from scratch. Vaughan & Lowery might turn out 2 be great coaches but neither are ready to build a program from the ground up. I agree about not bringing someone in short term for a quick fix that is why Mr. Rogers and whoever else needs to think long & hard about who they pick. One wrong hire could set a program back for years! They could look at schools like Madison Academic & Liberty to see how to start a girls and boys basketball program. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I would be shocked if they tried to build a program with young coaches. That makes no sense at all. If someone gets the job based on "connections" that would really start a program off on the wrong foot. The new football coach may be an unknown but he is coming from one of the best football programs in the state. Anybody that was on P.A. Pratt's staff gets 2 thumbs up from me. You have to have experience to build a program from scratch. Vaughan & Lowery might turn out 2 be great coaches but neither are ready to build a program from the ground up. I agree about not bringing someone in short term for a quick fix that is why Mr. Rogers and whoever else needs to think long & hard about who they pick. One wrong hire could set a program back for years! They could look at schools like Madison Academic & Liberty to see how to start a girls and boys basketball program. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Liberty chose a young middle school coach(i.e. vaughan and lowery). It worked for them, why do you think either of these two could not do the job? The few times I have seen their teams they looked well coached and disciplined.

Doubt it... Gibson Co. will most likely drop to Single A in girls basketball.... and if you've seen our Freshman class this year.... you'd know exactly why we'll be ok, lol. Gibson Co. could most definately be a 1A powerhouse!!!! If we stay in AA after losing all these students, we might have to work just a little bit harder to keep where we are at. Afterall, this is Gibson Co. girls basketball we're talking about...

GC will be fine short term (next 2-3 yrs) and they may be ok long term if they drop to single A but we are kidding ourselves if anyone thinks this is not going to have a big impact on the program.

Liberty chose a young middle school coach(i.e. vaughan and lowery). It worked for them, why do you think either of these two could not do the job? The few times I have seen their teams they looked well coached and disciplined.

I was referring to Liberty's boys coach & Madison's girls coach. Dexter Williams is young but not as young as the two you have mentioned. Coach Patterson is a veteran coach that has taken 3 different programs to the state tournament. Both of the guys you have mentioned have only been coaching about 3 yrs and have had success based on the talent they had. I am not saying they are not capable but you build programs with experience!

I was referring to Liberty's boys coach & Madison's girls coach. Dexter Williams is young but not as young as the two you have mentioned. Coach Patterson is a veteran coach that has taken 3 different programs to the state tournament. Both of the guys you have mentioned have only been coaching about 3 yrs and have had success based on the talent they had. I am not saying they are not capable but you build programs with experience!

My point was, the two programs you stated took different paths. Coach Williams had only a couple of years at middle school when he took over the Liberty program and it worked out well. He had no experience at the high school level when he started at Liberty. Madison went the other path with experience and it worked for the girls, but what about their boys and Liberty girls? I don't know if either should be chosen but using Liberty as an example would be exactly like taking on of these young men.