How many pitches is too many?

tigertim2

That is a great question. I believe tht most coaches do a very good job of making sure that this sort of thing does not happen but there are always a few just want to win too bad.

I know that Little League has a pitch limit. I think that it would be a good idea to atlease look into how to keep this from happening.

Great Link- Very good information. Maybe we can get it into the hands of the coach who let this happen.

This early in the season I would not let a high school kid throw more than 80 pitches and middle schooler less than that. Especially if it is below fifty degrees or so. One rule of thumb would be that if the pitcher starts to leave everything high because he is seperating his hands too late it might be time to come out because he is too tired for his arm to catch up with his body and fatigue can lead to injury or bad mechanics. 160 pitches is too many for a big leaguer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years ago I would keep a pitch count for our Middle School team. Just for kicks I kept up with the opposing pitchers count also. Our coach would usually limit them to 80 pitches tops. More often than not opposing pitchers would pitch more than that. The highest pitch count I saw was 151 for a really good pitcher on the opposing team. I was told at that time that this kid often pitched like this a couple of times a week. I am still watching this kid to see if there will be any lasting problems, so far he seems OK. Time will tell.

It's easy enough to take it off the coache's shoulders. Make it a dang rule. I mean, TSSAA doesn't mind making a rule as to how much they can charge at the gate and they don't mind limiting the number of games you can play. Step up and do the right thing. Protect kids arms.

One of the more unsavory aspects of travel ball is that the foxes are guarding the henhouse on these sort of things. Leagues can monitor pitch counts and keep a coach honest. Both coaches and an umpire have to sign a Pitching Record in Little League. How hard is that for a district or tournament director to keep up with. When some phenom sues a governing body because he was overused, maybe they'll be singing a different tune.

The real reason for having this governing body is to protect the kids that are playing the game. Tennessee doesn't have a Heat Index rule for football practice, they don't have a pitch count rule in baseball. Step up!

OK. Honest question. There was a very tight game this week between two unnamed rivals. Senior pitcher throwing. The coach goes out in the 6th inning to check on the pitcher. (He was winning 5-3) 1 kid on base and two outs. The coach says you are around a hundred pitches. How do you feel? The Senior says there is no way I am coming out unless I get into trouble. I feel fine and I want to finish the game. By the way, he is their best pitcher. (By far) The coach says ok but you GOT to tell me if you have any pain. The kid says ok. He is pretty trustworthy as he and the coach have been together a few years on the field. He finishes the game gets the win 5-3 pitching all seven with 10k's and feels ok the next day. A little sore but who wouldn't be? He ended up throwing 128 pitches. Is that too many?

OK. Honest question. There was a very tight game this week between two unnamed rivals. Senior pitcher throwing. The coach goes out in the 6th inning to check on the pitcher. (He was winning 5-3) 1 kid on base and two outs. The coach says you are around a hundred pitches. How do you feel? The Senior says there is no way I am coming out unless I get into trouble. I feel fine and I want to finish the game. By the way, he is their best pitcher. (By far) The coach says ok but you GOT to tell me if you have any pain. The kid says ok. He is pretty trustworthy as he and the coach have been together a few years on the field. He finishes the game gets the win 5-3 pitching all seven with 10k's and feels ok the next day. A little sore but who wouldn't be? He ended up throwing 128 pitches. Is that too many?

It might be too many but it might not be. I agree with an earlier poster who said that sometimes it depends on the kid. However, I also agree with ksgovols in that if the T$$AA would make the rule it would take it out of the coach's and the kids hands.

Like ks said, DO THE RIGHT THING! STEP UP FOR THE ATHLETES AND MAKE THE RULE

Around a 100? What does that mean? Did the coach not know. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If it took him 28 more pitches to get out of the inning............then the Coach made a mistake.

Based on what you've put forth here, I would have told him; get this next guy out if you want the complete game.

Around a 100? What does that mean? Did the coach not know. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If it took him 28 more pitches to get out of the inning............then the Coach made a mistake.

Based on what you've put forth here, I would have told him; get this next guy out if you want the complete game.

I don't know exactly how close too 100 he was. i am going to assume it was 100 even. He finished the 6th and pitched the 7th and threw 28 more pitches and won the game!

I don't know exactly how close too 100 he was. i am going to assume it was 100 even. He finished the 6th and pitched the 7th and threw 28 more pitches and won the game!

I think that the 100 number is on the high end, but age and strength are important factors.Lets not be too hard on TSSAA.When a kid goes to college a 120+ pitches are not uncommon,and no one says a word. The facts are unless the player has a contract($$$) that player and parent MUST look out for their kid. As a parent of a pitcher, my advise is to be diligent in watching pitch count, velocity and body language of your son when he is on the mound. Also, NEVER forget ice after an outing.

I compleatly agree with ksgovols @ post #15

I dont think the problem with kids arms is high school coaches i think a huge majority of them handle their pitchers right...there is a rule on how much a kid can pitch...i think the biggest problem with kids arms is parents and youth coaches letting the kids throw curveballs at 9 years old...I KNOW I KNOW you teach thme how tot hrow it so it doesnt hurt their arm...LOL..BUT...too many youth coaches pitch their top pitcher too much and put too much stress on their arms...when my 17 yr old was 13 his coach was calling curve ball 2-3 times per batter after a few batters i said try some fastballs....too many parents and coaches are trying to win that youth game that the kids dont always remeber what happen have kids throw the pitches that are tough on the kids arms let the boys grow up and develop then turn them loose

the problem is parents and youth coaches not the high school coaches...just my opinion

I think that the 100 number is on the high end, but age and strength are important factors.Lets not be too hard on TSSAA.When a kid goes to college a 120+ pitches are not uncommon,and no one says a word. The facts are unless the player has a contract($$$) that player and parent MUST look out for their kid. As a parent of a pitcher, my advise is to be diligent in watching pitch count, velocity and body language of your son when he is on the mound. Also, NEVER forget ice after an outing.

I compleatly agree with ksgovols @ post #15

I dont think a 100 is a high end that is only 15 pitches per inning...most pitchers in high school have been throwing since january so a month or 2 into practice they should be ready now to go 7

I dont think the problem with kids arms is high school coaches i think a huge majority of them handle their pitchers right...there is a rule on how much a kid can pitch...i think the biggest problem with kids arms is parents and youth coaches letting the kids throw curveballs at 9 years old...I KNOW I KNOW you teach thme how tot hrow it so it doesnt hurt their arm...LOL..BUT...too many youth coaches pitch their top pitcher too much and put too much stress on their arms...when my 17 yr old was 13 his coach was calling curve ball 2-3 times per batter after a few batters i said try some fastballs....too many parents and coaches are trying to win that youth game that the kids dont always remeber what happen have kids throw the pitches that are tough on the kids arms let the boys grow up and develop then turn them loose

the problem is parents and youth coaches not the high school coaches...just my opinion

Amen. The "Weekend Warrior Coaches" have hurt more arms than HS coaches ever will. Most HS coaches have a set rotation of 4-5 days and stick to it.

Dr. William Andrews, he's the Dr. all the pros go to for surgery says " No curve balls till the boy is shaving." (15-16 yrs. old). Change ups are much more affective at a younger age, with little stress on the elbow & arm.

I dont think a 100 is a high end that is only 15 pitches per inning...most pitchers in high school have been throwing since january so a month or 2 into practice they should be ready now to go 7

Most HS pitchers should not go 7 innings.