McMillan to UTM Lady Skyhawks?

Volunatic

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, let me correct several errors in your post:

1) McMillan "left" Miss Basketball nominee Latoya Bellamy, Laura Crittendon, Kendra Owens, Sierra Thomas, Lee Ricketts, Megan Witherspoon, etc to go to the college level. Say what you want, that collection for Westview was better than the collection of players he has returning for GC. That Westview group was ranked #1 the entire year in TN the following year if I remember correctly, before losing unexpectantly in Region

2) He did not have the feeling of accomplishment (winning gold ball) with that Westview crew as he does with this GC crew, so probably even easier to leave

3) He did not coach these juniors their freshman year

4) You can't up and decide to leave after their senior season if the job is not there

5) and to correct NSHD error above, the Tansil situation is FAR from resolved

You are not who I thought you were...or you would know the facts.....so I will keep trying to figure it out.

1)They didn't lose in the region...they lost in the state tournament to a one woman show from Walker Valley, Butler was her name, she is at Alabama now (they lost in the region at Ripley the next year, and where ranked #1 all year long)

41-104 in six seasons isn't getting it done....

Now with UTM actually putting $$$ into their athletic programs and the success of the football team and mens's basketball program, I can't see them allowing their women's program to wallow in 2-27 seasons anymore....

Plus with the popularity of women's basketball in the state of Tennessee, putting a winner on the court in that program should be a priority.....McMillan would be a perfect choice seeing as how he has ties to the area, has dealt with recruiting and coached on the college level under Insell at MTSU.....I bet they would show marked improvement from this past season to next under someone like McMillan....

Even if it isn't McMillan I can't for the life of me see why they would stick with Tansil-Gentry any longer...

The last sentence is 100% correct....I don't know anything about basketball,but I can win 3 games at UTM...

As an alumni and follower of UTM atheltics, I believe a change needs to be made. Going 2-27 is not and should not be accepted. I am a friend of Coach Tansil-Gentry, but I do feel as a former coach that positive changes need to be made to improve that program whatever changes there might be. Recruitment of players by the coaching staff, to me, has been questionable. This is just my opinion, and I am sure everyone has one.

Tara Tansil is my friend, the Tansil family are my friends. I have nothing but respect for Tara and her family.

But if now isnt the time to do something then UTM doesnt want to win. Coach McMillan would be the person who could step in and fill some big holes with next years, 2011 recruiting class. He would be a perfect fit. In my opinion, Kevin would love to have the job and would take the job if offered to him but I dont know if the UTM powers really want to win, they havent in the past few years.

If Coach McMillan doesnt want the job then you could go east 15 miles and find another good fit, Randy Frazier. You couldnt go wrong with either guy. They both would recruit locally and give them two or three years and they both would competing in the OVC. I would almost guaruntee an OVC crown within 5 years.

Tara Tansil is my friend, the Tansil family are my friends. I have nothing but respect for Tara and her family.

But if now isnt the time to do something then UTM doesnt want to win. Coach McMillan would be the person who could step in and fill some big holes with next years, 2011 recruiting class. He would be a perfect fit. In my opinion, Kevin would love to have the job and would take the job if offered to him but I dont know if the UTM powers really want to win, they havent in the past few years.

If Coach McMillan doesnt want the job then you could go east 15 miles and find another good fit, Randy Frazier. You couldnt go wrong with either guy. They both would recruit locally and give them two or three years and they both would competing in the OVC. I would almost guaruntee an OVC crown within 5 years.

But could they ever beat Union??? I guarantee there is a certain coach at UU that would hate to see this happen.

I coached in Memphis for 4 years, prior to this past season. I know Tara very well, and I tried several times to get her to look at players from teams I was coaching and teams we played against (cause UTM is my alma mater and I wanted her to be successful). I got very little response from her about the athletes I gave her the names of from the Memphis area. One of the athletes was a late signee eventually with MTSU. If UTM had shown an early sign of wanting her things might have been different. That is just one player, UTM might never be able to get the girls that go to Union, put there are plenty of players in Memphis and Nashville they need to go after. Tennessee State for one is looking very hard in Memphis, matter of fact they have an asst. that also would not be bad for the job.

I coached in Memphis for 4 years, prior to this past season. I know Tara very well, and I tried several times to get her to look at players from teams I was coaching and teams we played against (cause UTM is my alma mater and I wanted her to be successful). I got very little response from her about the athletes I gave her the names of from the Memphis area. One of the athletes was a late signee eventually with MTSU. If UTM had shown an early sign of wanting her things might have been different. That is just one player, UTM might never be able to get the girls that go to Union, put there are plenty of players in Memphis and Nashville they need to go after. Tennessee State for one is looking very hard in Memphis, matter of fact they have an asst. that also would not be bad for the job.

Feel your pain!! Been there done that!!

Feel your pain!! Been there done that!!

Yeah I have had the same problem in the past with some kids I thought that could make a difference in their program without any response. However, they have signed a good kid from the Memphis Area and I know for a fact they have some offers on the table to some good athletes in the Memphis area right now. I think there is some fire under Coach's feet. I think she has met with the brass and the message has been made. No program will go from 2-27 to a twenty win season but I think they are looking for some major improvements and some good recruits coming in. I think their problem has been their assist not getting out and finding those diamonds out there. These schools better starting getting in the Memphis girls market because these kids are balln. They are letting them get away to schools outside the state and they are becoming impact players. Amy McNear at Western Kentucky, Mary Jackson Louisville, Jasmine Taylor at Arkansas State, Deja Foster Georgia Tech, and Cyntha Hart St. Johns just to name a few they have let get away.