How did Joe Jackon not win Mr.Basketball

hbt

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Icy

------------------------------------------------

Joe Jackson's on-court demeanor is precisely as you described!

I have seen Joe play countless times, beginning with his Freshman year @ White Station....I must say-- I have NEVER....I repeat, NEVER seen this kid open his mouth argue a call or anything else that the refs did (I'm not saying that he's never done it)!!

As a matter of fact, when I saw JJ for the 1st time, his on-court demeanor was quiet, non-argumentative, respectful and somewhat aloof! He was usually hanging his head, while using his thumbs to grasp & hold onto the left and right sleeve-openings of his jersey.

I thought that he was either resting his arms, or perhaps using this Jersey as some sort of "security blanket!" From that and subsequent observations, I sorta' began thinking that Joe Jackson was shy or, perhaps, had some sort of self-esteem problems, or something!!

Fast forward to now, Joe Jackson's Junior season....Joe Jackson's on-court demeanor is STILL the exact same as it was when I first saw him, his Freshman year!

--------------------------------------------------------------

My conclusion: I don't know for sure what Joe Jackson was doing at the scorer's table, after the "Mr. Basketball" announcement. I strongly suspect, however, that his ("normal--for him) actions were simply misinterpreted.

I think TraderB has a pretty good assessment of the kid's demeanor and I agree with it. I am a Middle TN guy so I have no ties whatsoever to Jackson or White Station. One of the many things that impressed me about Jackson was his everpresent even keel. With the exception of the technical after dunking over a guy (a play which deserved a little bit of fanfare, but without the taunting aspect), Jackson kept his mouth shut the entire tourny and displayed no negative body language that I witnessed. To be that talented and hyped up, I thought he handled himself better then any of the other "big" names in the tourny.

One thing about his effort. I was sitting with a buddy who was also observing and questioning whether Jackson was playing hard. My response to him was that a kid with his abilities and skill sets seems to not be playing as hard as some other guys, but in reality the game is so effortless and smooth that it comes across as not playing hard. Any thoughts from you guys that have watched him for 3 years?

I think TraderB has a pretty good assessment of the kid's demeanor and I agree with it. I am a Middle TN guy so I have no ties whatsoever to Jackson or White Station. One of the many things that impressed me about Jackson was his everpresent even keel. With the exception of the technical after dunking over a guy (a play which deserved a little bit of fanfare, but without the taunting aspect), Jackson kept his mouth shut the entire tourny and displayed no negative body language that I witnessed. To be that talented and hyped up, I thought he handled himself better then any of the other "big" names in the tourny.

One thing about his effort. I was sitting with a buddy who was also observing and questioning whether Jackson was playing hard. My response to him was that a kid with his abilities and skill sets seems to not be playing as hard as some other guys, but in reality the game is so effortless and smooth that it comes across as not playing hard. Any thoughts from you guys that have watched him for 3 years?

I have said the same thing about effort pretaining to a few players......C Prather from NS for example. People said he looked lazy....no it really is that high of a skill level. They do make it look easy. Candace Parker was that way for the Lady Vols....at times she almost looked lazy but that was not the case. Like you said they make it SEEM effortless.

I've watched him for years and he is always the same. He never argues calls and he plays extremely hard. For those who questions his d this kid can do that too.

I personally wouldn't be all to worried about it... He's just a Sophmore... and he's already got a silver ball, a gold ball, and a state tournament MVP under his belt... I'm pretty sure he'll own this award the next two years...

The crazy thing is that WS has Jackson and Hall returning next year with more talent, but you might not even get to see them play in the state tournament due to the level of competetion to get out of that area... Melrose will be loaded, as well as Liberty... I'm sure that Ridgeway, RE, Southwind, and Craigmont won't be to shabby either...

But, White Station has always had that it factor to get over the hump...

I personally wouldn't be all to worried about it... He's just a Sophmore... and he's already got a silver ball, a gold ball, and a state tournament MVP under his belt... I'm pretty sure he'll own this award the next two years...

The crazy thing is that WS has Jackson and Hall returning next year with more talent, but you might not even get to see them play in the state tournament due to the level of competetion to get out of that area... Melrose will be loaded, as well as Liberty... I'm sure that Ridgeway, RE, Southwind, and Craigmont won't be to shabby either...

But, White Station has always had that it factor to get over the hump...

Correction Hall is a senior and Jackson is a Junior

I understand that but all the voters are going to see are the stats, Both these guys can play, though, not just Jackson. I'm just saying that the stats are very important in a statewide vote.

I dont think that stats are that much of a factor in voting for Mr. and Miss Basketball.Chassisdy Fussell from Obion Central averaged 30 pts a game and 11 rebs and she didnt get Miss Basketball.Those stats compared to the other 2 finalists were not even close.Congratulations to Kelley though.I know he is a good ball player.

B/C they decide before they should...they need to go back to waiting until after the state tournament...instead of right before the playoffs start, which is before some teams on opposite ends of the state have had a chance to see who is better, and who is clutch to get their teams in the tournament and then step up and win it....that should be a deciding factor IMO...

I've seen Joe play a couple of times now. I must say that I think his attitude out on the court has been the same every time. He never seems to let anything get him down to effect his game. He was getting HAMMERED all through the tournaments and then getting some picky calls called on him and he never broke stride with what he would normally do on the court. His ball handling is absolutely amazing. He crossed up several guys in the tournament that nearly made them fall. Joe SHOULD win Mr. Basketball next year and I hope he winds up as a Tar Heel in North Carolina!!!!!!