Has Mark Pemberton resigned to take a job in Georgia?

HTV

Tony Basilio on ESPN 1180 in Knoxville just said that they have received a report, but have not yet been able to confirm it, that Mark Pemberton has resigned to take a job in Georgia. I know we have a lot of folks with Catholic ties here - have you heard that?

Again, Tony said he hasn't been able to confirm it. He made the statement shortly before his show was ending for the day.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something doesn't smell right about this story... Coach Pemberton was very well taken care of at Catholic. I've got to believe something soured recently that caused him to look around.

Dang, with Kevin Julian leaving the HC position at Halls, does this portend that he might be the head coach at Catholic? He and Pemberton are good friends. I can't believe Julian would get recruited to Catholic without knowing that Pemberton would be leaving....

Something doesn't smell right about this story... Coach Pemberton was very well taken care of at Catholic. I've got to believe something soured recently that caused him to look around.

He was very well taken care of BUT the base pay is much higher in GA. As AD and Head FB coach he's probably doing much better than he was being paid through the school. Any booster money will just be a bonus.

He was very well taken care of BUT the base pay is much higher in GA. As AD and Head FB coach he's probably doing much better than he was being paid through the school. Any booster money will just be a bonus.

Yep. As the AD, in addition to being the football coach, he will likely receive administrator pay, which is much greater than a teacher makes. Georgia is one of the highest paying states in terms of educators in the entire southeastern United States. A lot of coaches/educators from Tennessee have made that move, and one really can't blame them for it.

You're probably right, as AD AND Head Football Coach he'll be well compensated, especially in Georgia. Their base pay is higher than Tennessee. I felt that the Booster Club at KCHS supplemented his income to the point where he would be there for as long as he wanted. Perhaps that's what happened... he didn't want to be there anymore.

I would say the move up in classification that he was looking so forward to may have played a part in his decision.