2009 Franklin Rebels

fbforme

I agree with Oakland and Franklin but Brentwood? Sure they scheduled alot of mboro teams and gallatin but you wont see how tough their schedule really is till the end of the season. Syrmna is a question mark, oakland is tough (possible only tough non-district game). Sure Gallatin makes the playoff every year but here is a stat for ya, since 2004 Gallatin season has ended by losing to a Williamson Co. school (2-6 vs. Will.Co. teams since 2001).

Smyrna is a question mark? Were talking about the same Smyrna that won the gold ball in 06 and 07 and lost to the eventual state champs twice by a margin of 9 points? The same Smyrna that returns of fair chunk of their lettermen? We are talking about the same Smyrna right?

Many folks would kill to have a program like Gallatin's, one that is a virtual lock to make the playoffs every year and has the kind of tradition/atmosphere/support that only most programs dream about. Brentwood's may not have the star power, but its still a schedule that will no doubt prepare them for a run at the gold ball.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smyrna is a question mark? Were talking about the same Smyrna that won the gold ball in 06 and 07 and lost to the eventual state champs twice by a margin of 9 points? The same Smyrna that returns of fair chunk of their lettermen? We are talking about the same Smyrna right?

Many folks would kill to have a program like Gallatin's, one that is a virtual lock to make the playoffs every year and has the kind of tradition/atmosphere/support that only most programs dream about. Brentwood's may not have the star power, but its still a schedule that will no doubt prepare them for a run at the gold ball.

Oh im talking about the same smyrna team who got shut out by Siegel, lost to Brentwood last year, and lost to Oakland twice. Im not saying they were bad last season im just saying they are not as good as the 06 and 07 teams, and i had no idea who they had returning besides J. Bryson and Kyle Freeman, who else do they have? Well not much competition is one reason why Gallatin gets into the playoffs every year.

In fact Since 2004 not only Gallatin but for Antioch and Hunters Lane every post season run has ended because they lost to Will Co. schools.

Their schedule will prepare them for the playoffs im just wondering why they didnt schedule at least one private school to challenge themselves?

Oh im talking about the same smyrna team who got shut out by Siegel, lost to Brentwood last year, and lost to Oakland twice. Im not saying they were bad last season im just saying they are not as good as the 06 and 07 teams, and i had no idea who they had returning besides J. Bryson and Kyle Freeman, who else do they have? Well not much competition is one reason why Gallatin gets into the playoffs every year.

In fact Since 2004 not only Gallatin but for Antioch and Hunters Lane every post season run has ended because they lost to Will Co. schools.

Their schedule will prepare them for the playoffs im just wondering why they didnt schedule at least one private school to challenge themselves?

Maybe not as good as 06-07, but could have very well made it 3 in a row had it not been for Oakland. They return a large chunk of their defense, which can be flat out dominating and return their qb, who made big strides as the year went along. Under Coach Williams, Smyrna will continue to be in the conversation for a gold ball.

Gallatin makes the playoffs every year because their Gallatin, not because of their level of competition. Yes they have struggled against WilCo, but I could turn that right around and document WilCo's struggles against from Rutherford Co.

You dont NEED a private school to challenge yourself.

Maybe not as good as 06-07, but could have very well made it 3 in a row had it not been for Oakland. They return a large chunk of their defense, which can be flat out dominating and return their qb, who made big strides as the year went along. Under Coach Williams, Smyrna will continue to be in the conversation for a gold ball.

Gallatin makes the playoffs every year because their Gallatin, not because of their level of competition. Yes they have struggled against WilCo, but I could turn that right around and document WilCo's struggles against from Rutherford Co.

Amen Brother on that last statement /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Amen Brother on that last statement /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I agree. Why would any division 1 school ever schedule a division 2 school is beyond me. They play with kids in your zone ( recruited or not ) . They made the choice to go a different way and be in a different division. Let them play each other and travel all over the state.

Dont mean to draw away from talking about Franklin but do you think Smyrna is the team to beat in your district?

I agree. Why would any division 1 school ever schedule a division 2 school is beyond me. They play with kids in your zone ( recruited or not ) . They made the choice to go a different way and be in a different division. Let them play each other and travel all over the state.

I think what I more or less meant was that there are plenty of public schools that would prove to be a great game. I am not saying that D-II schools arent a challenge, their a great challenge, but playing them is not a neccessary step to improve your strength of schedule.

fbforme... this schedule is really a miracle to pull off! you have to consider that lately franklin has had a rich playoff tradition and last year went to state. As stated earlier with the new classification system teams can really benefit from creating a "cupcake" schedule so why would they want to schedule a team like franklin, brentwood, or for that matter oakland. road games are always fun for a player especially out of state games. there harder to win, but the kids really enjoy the experience and get the feeling that they are traveling like most college teams do. also, there is nothing like getting off a bus on an away game and you see a rowdy crowd of loyal fans cheering you as you get off. i would bet that the BGA game was hard to pull off as well since it has never happened before. you said most teams have 5 home games and you are only missing one and with fhs playing hillsboro just 20 minutes up the road acts as another home game.

true fhs fans will travel and support the team no matter what. that is what it is to be a fan or importantly a football fan.

I do agree with most of your statements. I am one of those true fhs fans and I will support the team and travel where ever they ask us to travel. However, I do have a problem in an economy such as this asking our QB club to spend so much money on extra (unneeded) travel. And to the kids playing at Hillsboro is not another home game. I'm sorry, but I listen to the boys when they are over at the house and they love home games and in county games. They do like winning on the road as we did alot last year, but those long bus rides are not as enjoyable to them as it might be for a college team like you stated. They like running out to packed stadiums and no way we will pack our side when the game is in another time zone.

Enough about this. It is what it is and I'm ready to watch some football. It is just around the corner.

• 2 weeks later...

Im goint to say this 19 days before I leave for boot camp... I am a senior from the '08 season and I realized a good lesson. Football coaches are just that football coaches, and there is one thing they like, a challenge. I remember every game of the last two years and the farther away the game, the more hype we got going to it.(minus a few we already checked in to the W collumn) I, for the past few days, have been working out with the Ordungs (offensive line) while they prepare their team. I have no doubt that we could make the same run this year as we did last. Highschool is all about motivation. I was a two year letterman and was still the 3rd smallest on our starting line. It's the want of the gold ball that kept me going both years. As young as our team seems to be I can tell you from personal experience, Franklin ALWAYS has a chance. It's not as much the coaches as it is the players and their desire to do whatever physical and mental preparation is needed. I hope to return from Ft. Benning by Thanksgiving to see the Rebels in the 3rd round. But, I cant make any promises considering my path in life. My mom "Mrs. Combos" is sure to be sending me all the info on the season I could ever want. So, I guess my predictions are worthless due to all the byass built in my blood over the last 4 years, but If we have the character we had last year anything is possible. (insert: To REBELS who belive!)

HOORAH

By the way Mr. Eggleston was my English III teacher. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hey i just want to say good luck over there and thank you for what your doing for our country. Who knows maybe you'll come back to see another 3rd round game vs. Indy. Again thank you and God bless