Which city should host?

coach1076

I live in Knoxville but do not think that Ktown should get the football championships. I think it needs to be a smaller environment so that the stadium would be packed & loud. The cities that I saw bidding are:

1. Murfressboro

2. Knoxville

3. Johnson City

4. Chattanooga

5. Cookeville

6. Nashville

7. Memphis

I would like to see some opinions on this. I would like to see it in Johnson City IF they would use the ETSU Dome. This way weather can not play a factor in the outcome of a game, you will see bigger crowds due to the fact people can take their wife & kids & not have to worry about the weather, & it would be a smaller environment which in turn would create a louder championship like atmosphere. I know it is not centrally located but I do not thin any of the other cities have a dome. Correct me if I am wrong on this. If we can't get the dome then I would vote for Chattanooga or Cookeville.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Knoxville but do not think that Ktown should get the football championships. I think it needs to be a smaller environment so that the stadium would be packed & loud. The cities that I saw bidding are:

1. Murfressboro

2. Knoxville

3. Johnson City

4. Chattanooga

5. Cookeville

6. Nashville

7. Memphis

I would like to see some opinions on this. I would like to see it in Johnson City IF they would use the ETSU Dome. This way weather can not play a factor in the outcome of a game, you will see bigger crowds due to the fact people can take their wife & kids & not have to worry about the weather, & it would be a smaller environment which in turn would create a louder championship like atmosphere. I know it is not centrally located but I do not thin any of the other cities have a dome. Correct me if I am wrong on this. If we can't get the dome then I would vote for Chattanooga or Cookeville.

Well I go to school at ETSU and I spend a good bit of time in the mini dome. It would be a plus to have the championships indoors, but Johnson City and the University would have to spend some money to get the mini dome ready for football again. They do have the old turf still but I think they would have to get new turf, new field goals and update the scoreboards among other things. Also I have heard for the last 2 years that they are going to level the mini dome and build a new basketball arena. It would be nice to have the Championships were I go to school, but just know about it. Beyond ETSU I would like to see it in Cookeville or Chattanooga. Both venues are smaller than MTSU,Nashville,Memphis and knoxville. Cookeville is still kind of centrally located, they have a good selection of places to stay and eat. Chattanooga already has the NCAA FCS National Championship so they know what it takes to host a big event. There is plenty of attractions in Chattanooga, plenty of places to stay within mins of the stadium, and there are several restaurants in downtown and the surrounding area. Nashville and Murfressboro would be my next two picks.

Cookeville would be a great site for the games. Its location is almost as central as Murfreesboro, and it is a growing area. Additionally, Tech's stadium is much more similar to high school stadiums, and it would hold plenty of fans still.

Funny to think that the title games would likely produce a much higher turnout of fans than Tech football games. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

As a Maryville fan who's done something like 10 trips to the 'boro in the past dozen years, I've had a lot of time on I - 40 to think about this one. I understand the "geographic center of the state" argument for Murfreesboro, but geography does not play football, nor does it purchase tickets - people do. Look it up. The eastern Grand Division of Tennesse is the most populous and therefore the one which provides the most opportunity to get backsides in seats and revenue in the coffers.

But that is not my argument. If the TSSAA is truly to be reprsentative of the whole state, then it should be intentional about demonstrating this. Therefore, the fairest, most representative model would be to alternate championships among the three grand divisions: east, middle and west. The economic impact of these championships is enormous for a community. One community among hundreds should not be the sole beneficiary.

Additionally, spreading the championships around is in the long term best interests of the TSSAA. Getting a chance to sleep in my own bed, drive a short distance, and see a particular sport played at its highest level would be a real local draw. This would, over time, promote interest in high school athletics all across the state, not just in one region.

While the 'boro may be near the geographic center, it is not a population center. Keeping the championships in the cities of Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville (with possible alternation in the east between Knoxville, Chattagnooga, and Tri-Cities) would gurantee plenty of potential attendees within a short distance of the stadium. Given attendance at playoff games in East Tennessee and UT contests, you could assume that Knoxville attendance would easily double that of Murfreesboro in 2008. I suspect that those in Memphis and Nashville could tell similar stories. Keeping to the metropolitan areas would also gurantee adequate hotels, restaurants, and additional attractions which would generate additional economic impact. Hey, just give me half a reason to go to Memphis and I'll eat your BBQ, watch your silly ducks in the lobby, and pay my respects at Graceland.

"But," you might ask, "Wouldn't you rather drive to Murfreesboro than Memphis?" Hey, there both significant road trips, and once I'm on the road, it doesn't make that much difference. Knowing that every third year would bring the championships to my backyard would be real consolation for me as I traverse the hinterlands of West Tennessee. Are the championships in the pocket of the Murfressoro Chamber of Commerce or is the TSSAA truely here to serve and promote the endeavors of student athletes and support their schools and communities?

I know what the answer should be.

As a Maryville fan who's done something like 10 trips to the 'boro in the past dozen years, I've had a lot of time to think about this one. I understand the "geographic center of the state" argument for Murfreesboro, but geography does not play football, nor does it purchase tickets - people do. Look it up. The eastern Grand Division of Tennesse is the most populous and therefore the one which provides the most opportunity to get backsides in seats and revenue in the coffers.

But that is not my argument. If the TSSAA is truly to be reprsentative of the whole state, then it should be intentional about demonstrating this. Therefore, the fairest, most representative model would be to alternate championships among the three grand divisions: east, middle and west. The economic impact of these championships is enormous for a community. One community among hundreds should not be the sole beneficiary.

Additionally, spreading the championships around is in the long term best interests of the TSSAA. Getting a chance to sleep in my own bed, drive a short distance, and see a particular sport played at its highest level would be a real local draw. This would, over time, promote interest in high school athletics all across the state, not just in one region.

While the 'boro may be near the geographic center, it is not a population center. Keeping the championships in the cities of Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville (with possible alternation in the east between Knoxville, Chattagnooga, and Tri-Cities) would gurantee plenty of potential attendees within a short distance of the stadium. Given attendance at playoff games in East Tennessee and UT contests, you could assume that Knoxville attendance would easily double that of Murfreesboro in 2008. I suspect that those in Memphis and Nashville could tell similar stories. Keeping to the metropolitan areas would also gurantee adequate hotels, restaurants, and additional attractions which would generate additional economic impact. Hey, just give me half reason to go to Memphis and I'll eat your BBQ, watch your silly ducks in the lobby, and pay my respects at Graceland.

"But," you might ask, "Wouldn't you rather drive to Murfreesboro than Memphis?" Hey, there both significant road trips, and once I'm on the road, it doesn't make that much difference. Knowing that every third year would bring the championships to my backyard would be real consolation for me as I traverse the hinterlands of West Tennessee. Are the championships in the pocket of the Murfressoro Chamber of Commerce or is the TSSAA truely here to serve and promote the endeavors of student athletes and support their schools and communities?

Good Post and Logical.

I've always thought it should be like a 9 year deal (3 years per venue) rotating throughout the state each year. East, West, Middle.

IMHO, the Boro has gotten kind of Boring. /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />

Maybe the T$$AA officials want to sleep in their own beds? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Good Post and Logical.

I've always thought it should be like a 9 year deal (3 years per venue) rotating throughout the state each year. East, West, Middle.

IMHO, the Boro has gotten kind of Boring. /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />

Maybe the T$$AA officials want to sleep in their own beds? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

As a fan of a program that is back on the rise, I hope it does move away from the boro. What fun is it to play for the gold ball when u can literally walk to the stadium?

Why do you have to host it at Neyland for the Knoxville bid? Maybe that's what the bid is. I haven't looked at the proposals nor do I know where to look if I even can look. I'll tell you one thing, I would love to have it played there when I was in school, but it wasn't. I kind of wish my boys could have the chance to merely play the jamboree there when they get older, but who knows if Knox County Schools will return there in the future.

Anyways, if you don't want a big venue or don't have the money for it...the Knoxville area has a couple of smaller colleges in surrounding counties that have nice facilities. There might be a college in the county that has a football program that I'm not familiar with. Anyway, just a thought.

As a Maryville fan who's done something like 10 trips to the 'boro in the past dozen years, I've had a lot of time on I - 40 to think about this one. I understand the "geographic center of the state" argument for Murfreesboro, but geography does not play football, nor does it purchase tickets - people do. Look it up. The eastern Grand Division of Tennesse is the most populous and therefore the one which provides the most opportunity to get backsides in seats and revenue in the coffers.

While the 'boro may be near the geographic center, it is not a population center. Keeping the championships in the cities of Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville (with possible alternation in the east between Knoxville, Chattagnooga, and Tri-Cities) would gurantee plenty of potential attendees within a short distance of the stadium. Given attendance at playoff games in East Tennessee and UT contests, you could assume that Knoxville attendance would easily double that of Murfreesboro in 2008. I suspect that those in Memphis and Nashville could tell similar stories. Keeping to the metropolitan areas would also gurantee adequate hotels, restaurants, and additional attractions which would generate additional economic impact. Hey, just give me half a reason to go to Memphis and I'll eat your BBQ, watch your silly ducks in the lobby, and pay my respects at Graceland.

Hate to disagree with you but east Tn is NOT the population center any more. In the last 15 years Murfreesboro alone has gone from being the 12th largest 'town' to being the fifth largest CITY in the state and with the current rate of growth will pass Chatanooga to fourth in the next 5 years. Add to this the growth of both Williamson, Sumner, and Wilson counties there is no way the east is the biggest anymore.

While I agree that cities should compete for it, part of the problem is the greed of the TSSAA. The facts are they will put it where THEY can make the most money either by fans and/or TV contracts. Thusly the 6th championship game this year and for future years.