Rutherford County's Best Team Ever

shuttlesworth

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. That entire team made it look like the other teams were a bunch of little kids playing them.

I heard that 70's Central team was great. 10 shut outs is crazy. 2004 put up good #'s i think the best did they even have a close game, but guys off that team say 94' 97' 00' 01 Riverdale. I also feel the 98' Oakland team was very good, and uder rated. I saw teams like 94' 97' R'dale and 98' Oak and tryed to be them on saturday playing youth ball for the mustanges......lol

I heard that 70's Central team was great. 10 shut outs is crazy. 2004 put up good #'s i think the best did they even have a close game, but guys off that team say 94' 97' 00' 01 Riverdale. I also feel the 98' Oakland team was very good, and uder rated. I saw teams like 94' 97' R'dale and 98' Oak and tryed to be them on saturday playing youth ball for the mustanges......lol

This is a great topic...really got some memories flooding back. Here is a blub from the Murfreesboro Post on this very subject;

1) 1970 Central

Gene Windham's squad went 12-0 and averaged 48 points per game while surrendering only six points a contest. There were 26 college signees on this team, which means some non-starters played collegiate sports. Central's Leo Martin won two national titles at Oklahoma, while David Parsons played at Tennessee. Leon Alexander played at Mississippi State, while David Alsup played at Vanderbilt.

Here are the scores from their games in 1970: 62-0 over Tullahoma; 46-0 over Lebanon; 48-0 over Lawrenceburg; 48-6 over Springfield; 50-6 over Bradley County; 20-7 over Gallatin; 20-0 over Battle Ground Academy; 36-7 over Columbia; 62-13 over Crossville; 20-7 over Clarksville; 26-14 over Bristol; 36-0 over Memphis Melrose in title game.

Most people who've followed football in Murfreesboro regard this team as the best in city history. This team set the standard for other football programs in Murfreesboro. Central High School is gone but not forgotten.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=585

Hopefully this link will work for you. I'm not too good at this computer stuff.

Thanks for starting this thread.

This is a great topic...really got some memories flooding back. Here is a blub from the Murfreesboro Post on this very subject;

1) 1970 Central

Gene Windham's squad went 12-0 and averaged 48 points per game while surrendering only six points a contest. There were 26 college signees on this team, which means some non-starters played collegiate sports. Central's Leo Martin won two national titles at Oklahoma, while David Parsons played at Tennessee. Leon Alexander played at Mississippi State, while David Alsup played at Vanderbilt.

Here are the scores from their games in 1970: 62-0 over Tullahoma; 46-0 over Lebanon; 48-0 over Lawrenceburg; 48-6 over Springfield; 50-6 over Bradley County; 20-7 over Gallatin; 20-0 over Battle Ground Academy; 36-7 over Columbia; 62-13 over Crossville; 20-7 over Clarksville; 26-14 over Bristol; 36-0 over Memphis Melrose in title game.

Most people who've followed football in Murfreesboro regard this team as the best in city history. This team set the standard for other football programs in Murfreesboro. Central High School is gone but not forgotten.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=585

Hopefully this link will work for you. I'm not too good at this computer stuff.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I've always said that is the best high school team i've ever seen. They were huge, fast, and mean.

I know Columbia was glad to get their 7 and to get beat by less than 30. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Speaking from my personal experience, I have to go with the 98 Oakland team. They didn't have the same amount of talent that the Riverdale teams or the Central teams had. What they lacked in ability,they made up for in spades in heart and fight. They were INCREDIBLE!! Marty's Army marches on!

2nd place would have to be the Riverdale 94 team. In my opinion, their overall team speed will probably never be equaled anywhere in this region.

I never saw the Central team play in person, so I could be sadly mistaken on my choice.

2P im gonna let you slide on that 98 team since you had a son on that team BUT that team did lose a game to RIVERDALE...but since you had a kid on the team I will let that slide

i think the 94 and the 04 team were VERY GOOD teams...I am not at all familiar with the central teams. I think the RIVERDALE 94 team had more indidvidual talent than the 04 but as a team they both were really good 01 wasnt too bad either