HUGE news out of Franklin, Tn

Hamm

Must be Cleveland ............. You must not know Cleveland has a ton of talent coming back and coming up.

You can always reload, but you won't find anyone to replace the level of talent they had

@ 103, 160, 215, and HWT. The loss of those 4 could make up to a 48 point shift in a dual match.

I did not say that they wouldn't be a great team, I said that they will be down from this year.

They will not find 4 studs in all 4 classes. Therefore they should be down.

I am also aware of the potential decrease in the number of quality coaches in that area.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess a smaller venue, if free, is better than a larger venue that costs. So much for growing the sport.

The Main Arena is 150 feet by 300 feet, and has permanent seating for 4,180, with optional temporary seating for an additional 3,500. I would think this gives plenty of room for growth.

This is the greatest thing I have heard on this board. Who would have thought that Coach Jordan making a stand concerning the State dual tournament would pull the individual tournament back to middle tennessee.

I remember when I was a boy seeing my brother wrestle when state was at Lipscomb. I remember the atmospher being more intense and more electric. I hope the new location will make the finals better staged and more dramatic.

TSSAA did give Chattanooga the opportunity to counter Williamson County's bid.

Coach Blair

From the TFP: ???We knew what the situation was in Chattanooga. We knew the positives and negatives. If they had something better to offer, why had they not offered it before???? TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter countered.

I guess Murfreesboro won't get a chance to bid on the Football, Basketball or the Spring Fling.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

A few statements from Ward Gosset's article in the Chattanooga Times Free Press this morning ( 4/21/09) addressing some of the comments posted so far:

As to whether the site was bid ( ru4mocs has already posted a portion of this):

................................................................................

................................................................................

???We got a phone call telling us they were moving it,??? said Scott Smith, who officially assumed duties Monday as president of the Greater Chattanooga Sports & Events Committee. ???We didn??™t get to bid, argue our points or any of those things.???

???They said they were looking into moving it. We took that to mean that somebody else was going to bid, but then they called and said they were moving it,??? Smith said.

Reaction of Soddy Coach Steve Henry:

One of those looking forward to the move is Soddy-Daisy coach Steve Henry, who also serves as president of the Tennessee wrestling coaches??™ association.

???The move is fine with me,??? he said. ???It means a lot less work for me and my people. It will be nice to just go and participate for the first time since the tournament was at Maclellan Gym. I can concentrate on being a coach.???

Henry and his booster club and student body provided awards stands, two mats and table workers as well as hosting the coaches??™ hospitality room.

Finances and location:

Finances and convenience were part of the decision to move.

???The first thing, we??™re not paying any rent for the facility,??? Carter said, ???and there are 15 acres for parking.???

The TSSAA was charged about $6,500 to rent McKenzie Arena on the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga campus for three days, half of which was paid by the Sports Committee. The Sports Committee also paid some lesser expenses such as copier rentals and security ropes, but the TSSAA took all money earned from ticket sales.

Issues for TSSAA:

Carter indicated that the TSSAA was getting an ???empty shell??? in the Franklin facility and would have to come up with its own security, ticket takers, parking-lot attendants and clean-up crews.

???It??™s a double-edged sword,??? Carter said. ???If we were able to park on campus, that money went to whoever. At this facility there is unbelievable parking, and that parking revenue will go the TSSAA. We??™ll be providing event staff, including ticket-takers, but the costs are not being dictated to us. We??™ll be able to control costs.???

Financial impact of tournament:

Losing the tournament should not be considered a major financial loss for the Sports Committee, Smith said, adding that the 2008 tournament had an estimated economic impact of $400,000.

???It??™s a nice piece of business, absolutely, but to make or break the year, no,??? he said.

Here is one thing nobody has talked about... I have talked to several area coaches near Nashville and all of them have expressed how happy they are that they do not have to pay the Hotel Bill out of their booster clubs account (one said they spend upwards of $1200.00 for the 3 day event) because they will be able to get up every morning and drive to the event. Many have already told me what items they will be able to buy from the extra money their booster clubs will be saving.

Another cut in spending for these teams is the transportation cost...

I guess one of the differences now is instead of 90% of middle Tennessee Wrestling teams having to spend all that money for hotels and transportation only the Chatt teams need to start ponying up the money.

Call it an Economic Stimulus Plan for the Middle Tennessee teams!

Here is one thing nobody has talked about... I have talked to several area coaches near Nashville and all of them have expressed how happy they are that they do not have to pay the Hotel Bill out of their booster clubs account (one said they spend upwards of $1200.00 for the 3 day event) because they will be able to get up every morning and drive to the event. Many have already told me what items they will be able to buy from the extra money their booster clubs will be saving.

Another cut in spending for these teams is the transportation cost...

I guess one of the differences now is instead of 90% of middle Tennessee Wrestling teams having to spend all that money for hotels and transportation only the Chatt teams need to start ponying up the money.

Call it an Economic Stimulus Plan for the Middle Tennessee teams!

Wow, booster club. What is that???? That's money that can go into my account and I don't have to sell candy all year long. Booster club, LOL!!!!!!

Dancin a jig, Dancin a jig. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I'm so happy I'm dancin a jig. Even the coaches in Memphis are happy about it. Now they only have to drive 3 hours. This move has benifited everyone in the state except the Chat teams.