Oak Ridge Job

HOOPSGURU

How can you say a guy is the best fit for a job, and he does not have any head boys coaching experience at the high school or college level. I've said this before and I will say it again....it will be a little different coaching Oak Ridge boys compared to Maryville College (Girls), Roane State (Girls), and Oliver Springs (Girls). Its a totally different animal....regardless of what you say.

Also, how can you say that one would have more free time coaching at the college level? Are you serious? Everyone knows that college coaching (at any level) takes up more time than coaching in high school.

How do we know that Wright left Oak Ridge on good terms anyway. Seems fishy that he would leave oak ridge for an oliver springs assistant position? Just a thought......

He left OR on very good terms. I told you why he left. He knew I would be leaving very soon from OS and thought he would have a shot at a head coaching position very soon. Also, he was promised a trip to the state tournament with OS. As far as Todd's choice is concerned, it all depends on what his goals are. If Todd is interested in moving up the ladder in college, he should stay. If he would rather go back to the classroom and coach high school at a great place with great talent then he should be very interested.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd Wright left to become my assistant at Oliver Springs High School. I told him we were a lock to get to the state tournament and he made the move. I am sure he felt also that he would have a better chance of becoming a head coach quicker at OSHS. This turned out to be true as he was named head girls coach the next year after his one year stint with myself. I left to William Blount, he took over the girls program, had a successful 4 or so years then went to Roane St where he was successful and then just went to Maryville College last year. They were perfect in conference last year. He enjoys it there but pay of course is always going to be an issue when you are coaching at small colleges like that. Todd Wright will win and has worked with Chuck so he has an in. I think he is in the top 2 or 3 for the job without a doubt. He is interested and I assume an interview will come soon.

I thought Carringer was leaving at the end of this school year to take a role with his church? If true, I don't know how much of an "in" that is........if it is one to begin with.

Kind of an inconsiderate comment to make about a young coach trying his best to get experience. I said he would be a good hire because I personally know him, and know what he would bring to the table. I did say that I thought Oak Ridge would not hire him, and they would make a bigger splash then that.

Since your so smart and want to put coaches down, who would you like to see hired?

Oak Ridges Integrity???????? Thats hilarious, I didn't know they had any. Just imagine Oak Ridge used to be a program that people were intimidated by, and now they are a program scrambling to find a coach. What a shame. I hope they can bring back both basketball and football to that intimidating level.

Not putting down a coach just your reasoning. Your next post took care of the rest! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

He left OR on very good terms. I told you why he left. He knew I would be leaving very soon from OS and thought he would have a shot at a head coaching position very soon. Also, he was promised a trip to the state tournament with OS. As far as Todd's choice is concerned, it all depends on what his goals are. If Todd is interested in moving up the ladder in college, he should stay. If he would rather go back to the classroom and coach high school at a great place with great talent then he should be very interested.

I think Wright is a very good coach. More than likely would do a good/great job at OR.

I have heard otherwise as far as leaving on good terms.

Didn't Oak Ridge go to the State about the same time? How was he "promised" a trip with OS?

If I was in charge of Oak Ridge's coaching selection these would be the guys I would go after: Brian Jessie Union County, Tony Buell Carter, Raul Placeres Gatlinburg Pittman, Micah Marsh Alcoa, Rodney Nelson Ex Maryville Coach. Those five coaches are as good as they come in this area. You have major experience in Nelson and great developer of talent, Jessie,Marsh and Buell have been around for about 6 to 7 years and have done great jobs where they are at, and Placeres is young coach with a lot of potential who has a great basketball background.

All these guys I keep hearing about would be step below of Coach Norris. Spoke to guys close to Oak Ridge and they would love to have a coach who brings energy,passion, and a winning attitude to the program. I believe all five guys of these guys can do this.

I am new and this is off topic, but wanted to reply to this quote. All of these coaches mentioned are good coaches. I would add the new coach at Grainger(Combs?), coached against him this year(and lost) and thought he did a great job with that team. Had 1 great player but not a lot to go with them. Just thought they were well prepared and did what they needed to do with what they had. Probably not enough experience for OR job, but think he has a good future. I think they had a nice record and beat many of the coaches listed here, probably lost a few also.

Not putting down a coach just your reasoning. Your next post took care of the rest! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Don't use logic with a pseudo Dyron Nix. The real Dyron is as bald as a cue ball now.

Agree with your logic as usual. I couldn't imagine they would even consider an assistant coach from LC. I would almost think an OR asst coach would be a stretch.

OR was pretty intimidating 1 year ago. Ask Maryville how they looked in the region tourney.

IrishBBall didn't you say in one of your other posts that you coached the Knoxville Thunderbolts Semi pro team? Did Coach Placeres from Gatlinburg Pittman played on that team? What do you think of him for the Oak Ridge job?

Yes and Yes. Coach Placeres played for us part-time and did a great job. As expected, he's like having another coach both on the floor and bench. He was able to play after his season ended at GP. I think he would do a great job but he has a unique position serving the Sevier County School System that may not transfer to O.R. He doesn't actually teach at Gatlinburg Pittman.

If I was in charge of Oak Ridge's coaching selection these would be the guys I would go after: Brian Jessie Union County, Tony Buell Carter, Raul Placeres Gatlinburg Pittman, Micah Marsh Alcoa, Rodney Nelson Ex Maryville Coach. Those five coaches are as good as they come in this area. You have major experience in Nelson and great developer of talent, Jessie,Marsh and Buell have been around for about 6 to 7 years and have done great jobs where they are at, and Placeres is young coach with a lot of potential who has a great basketball background.

All these guys I keep hearing about would be step below of Coach Norris. Spoke to guys close to Oak Ridge and they would love to have a coach who brings energy,passion, and a winning attitude to the program. I believe all five guys of these guys can do this.

I know those coaches all had good years this year, but I don't think anyone would classify them as the best in the area. No offense to them, they all had good years with talented teams, but I don't think they are capable of running a program like Oak Ridge. Coaching in AAA knoxville area is far superior to A and AA, with obvious exception of Jody Wright.

Oak Ridges Integrity???????? Thats hilarious, I didn't know they had any. Just imagine Oak Ridge used to be a program that people were intimidated by, and now they are a program scrambling to find a coach. What a shame. I hope they can bring back both basketball and football to that intimidating level.

I was told yesterday that Oak Ridge has over 30 applicants, so it doesn't sound like they are scrambling.

Again you still dodge the question. Who is the prefect coach for OR.

Obviously you don't quite understand my post or are LD in reading because I have said OR will not select Stewart. I know Stewart and he is not expecting a call, he didn't have anything to do with putting his name out there. It was another guy that we know just trying to support a buddy. You are the one that is trying to make a guy look bad that didn't ask for any of this.

On an actual positive note. Oak Ridge had 2 future and 1 current players make the top 15 in the 14 and under State Championships. They were Kaseem (Pyro), Rashad (Rhynos), and Rian (Pyro). Their 4th comrad Zach Stewart was left out of the top 25, but had an unbelievable last 2 games. He is a 6'2 14 year old that hasn't even started to hit puberty yet. A lot of people will recognize him from his 6'7 Dad who player pro football, and his brother who was a standout in HS. The next coach better keep them there. Rumors have been out about Rian visiting CHS.

They blocked the link, but you can goto tnpreps to see the top 25.