Lenoir City Head Coach

Unless the rule has recently changed, a student-athlete can camp/practice with a school and go to a different as a rising 9th grader. I know of a player that practiced with 2 teams during summer. The player had just finished 8th grade.

I won't swear to it, but I believe Hopalot and I are correct on this one. 8th grade is a "terminal year". You are not considered enrolled in high school until the actual first day of school in August. I'm familiar with situations in both football and basketball where upcoming 9th graders have participated in summer drills with one high school and ended up enrolling in another at the end of the summer without moving and it has not affected their eligibility.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you are correct. If you play spring practice in football for one school then attend another school in the fall you are ineligible. I would think the same goes for basketball.

k thru twelve are the only exception,they are the only ones who as an eighth grader can actually go thru football spring pract,in this case as long as he is not on the varsity it does not matter.you can do JV and still transfer.

k thru twelve are the only exception,they are the only ones who as an eighth grader can actually go thru football spring pract,in this case as long as he is not on the varsity it does not matter.you can do JV and still transfer.

The girl that irishbball is talking about played at catholic, was planning on transferring to Hardin Valley played summer camp with them then came back to Catholic. That would make her ineligible. As far as 8th graders they can work out with one team, then enroll somewhere else. They're eligibility has not been established until they are enrolled in class.

The girl that irishbball is talking about played at catholic, was planning on transferring to Hardin Valley played summer camp with them then came back to Catholic. That would make her ineligible. As far as 8th graders they can work out with one team, then enroll somewhere else. They're eligibility has not been established until they are enrolled in class.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought she was a freshman that went to HV then to Catholic.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone direct me to the specific area of the by-laws that discusses the issue of 8th graders who have practiced with one school in the spring or summer and then enrolled at a different school for 9th grade?

I'm not sure if it's a written rule, I don't think you can go to spring practice with a varsity team if you're in 8th grade. However, back in 1994, when I was at University School of Johnson City. We had an 8th grader who was a student at our school (UH is a k-12 lab school) he went to team camps with us all summer then in August enrolled at Science Hill and played on their basketball team. To be fair he did not dress on the varsity but played on the JV and Freshman team.

Can anyone direct me to the specific area of the by-laws that discusses the issue of 8th graders who have practiced with one school in the spring or summer and then enrolled at a different school for 9th grade?

tssaa.com section 14 Practice Rules:

A student who engages in 3 or more days of off- season in a school in which a student is enrolled shall be ineligible in that sport the following season if the student enrolls in another school without a corresponding change in residence of the students parents.

As an 8th grader/upcoming freshman you fill out your high school paper work. Upcoming freshman are allowed to workout and participate in spring practice/summer camps. If as an upcoming freshman you participate in spring practice, attend summer workouts, attend summer camps, etc. according the the tssaa handbook you are ineligible.

I too read this section. I find it confusing because it sounds as if it is contrary to what I have seen multiple times. For instance (hypothetical example): An 8th grader finishes his 8th grade year at a middle school in Halls. He attends spring workouts with the high school in Halls (this is still in his 8th grade year.) Then, during the summer, he decides to attend Grace and plays on the varsity.

While my example is fictional, I have seen a number of cases that are very similar to it. My understanding has also been that a student can change schools when entering the 9th grade without effecting eligibility, and that this is generally the only time that he can (starting 9th grade) without a move. (Yes I know there are extreme exceptions, I am speaking in general.) There are clearly posters who sound knowledgeable on the subject who have stated that eligibility would not be a concern in a situation such as my example (see posts above.) So I am left thinking that there is an interpretation by the TSSAA that when applied is different than the section you reference.

I too read this section. I find it confusing because it sounds as if it is contrary to what I have seen multiple times. For instance (hypothetical example): An 8th grader finishes his 8th grade year at a middle school in Halls. He attends spring workouts with the high school in Halls (this is still in his 8th grade year.) Then, during the summer, he decides to attend Grace and plays on the varsity.

While my example is fictional, I have seen a number of cases that are very similar to it. My understanding has also been that a student can change schools when entering the 9th grade without effecting eligibility, and that this is generally the only time that he can (starting 9th grade) without a move. (Yes I know there are extreme exceptions, I am speaking in general.) There are clearly posters who sound knowledgeable on the subject who have stated that eligibility would not be a concern in a situation such as my example (see posts above.) So I am left thinking that there is an interpretation by the TSSAA that when applied is different than the section you reference.

The TSSAA does not do any investigating on their own. If a player does off-season workouts with the high school he registered for the spring of his 8th grade year then decides to register with another high school in the fall it would be up to the off-season workouts coach to file a complaint with the TSSAA. Most coaches aren't going to take the time to do this. However I do think that if you register the spring of your 8th grade year with say high school A, you practice with high school A, do summer workouts with high school A, go to summer camps with high school A, then in the fall you decide that high school B is a better choice you are ineligible to play in the sport you did summer practices with. If high school A's coach files a complaint with the TSSAA, provides camp stat books and even game film I'm pretty sure you would be ineligible.

8th Graders are not considered High School Students until their first day in the fall. Paperwork is not official or final until then, even though 8th graders register and schedule classes in the spring time. This allows 8th graders to practice with whomever prior to their 9th grade year and then change schools without losing eligibility. It happens every year. If this wasn't the case why would a coach want to hurt a kid that wants to play somewhere else. I have been around basketball along time and I cant think of any coach that would do this to a freshman.

On the other hand no 8th grader (unless k-12 school) shall practice during spring practice because they are still a student of their middle school. This can cause a player to lose a year of eligibility, which means they would be done with their eligibility in that sport when they are a Junior.

8th Graders are not considered High School Students until their first day in the fall. Paperwork is not official or final until then, even though 8th graders register and schedule classes in the spring time. This allows 8th graders to practice with whomever prior to their 9th grade year and then change schools without losing eligibility. It happens every year. If this wasn't the case why would a coach want to hurt a kid that wants to play somewhere else. I have been around basketball along time and I cant think of any coach that would do this to a freshman.

On the other hand no 8th grader (unless k-12 school) shall practice during spring practice because they are still a student of their middle school. This can cause a player to lose a year of eligibility, which means they would be done with their eligibility in that sport when they are a Junior.

your k tru 12 is right,on the other hand any player who goes through spring practice as an incoming freshman with school A,has an athletic record with school A,this would make him eneligible with any other program,unless a change of adress is made with both parents.they also lose eligibility in all major sports for the upcoming year.if a child participates in any spring or summer workouts three or more days he is eneligible to transfer and be eligible.they have to be registered with the school they practice with even as an eighth grader.go to the tssaa website and read the am i eligible,it will answer your questions if not call them.they are very helpful.and yes they will not investigate unless some raises enough questions,but they will find out what they need to....