TSSAA rules question

TrojanSportsFan

Why would you want to play Rec ball if there was any chance of screwing up your high school team...there is enough fastpitch year around that it is not going to kill anyone to wait a week or two....Why are you trying to get around the rules?

Not trying to get around any rules. Just want to know what they are and not break them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to change the topic, but i would like to ask a different question.

Can a school hire a non faculty coach? I think the answer is yes under certain situations like the coach must have 5 years experience. But the way i read it, they must re-post the position every year and if a certified Educator applies and is qualified to coach they must give it to them. I know that in Tullahoma has a few non faculty coaches and i am not trying to cause them problems, just trying to kill a rumor.

Collinwood's head coach is a non falcuty member. There are some different rules they have to follow I think. Only because a faculty member didn't take it.

Yes it is, but his original question implied that she would be "playing" with another team, not "practicing" with another team. Ironically, you'd be surprised at how many people (and coaches) are fuzzy on this rule. Players are allowed to practice with their travel teams during the High School season by TSSAA rules. They are not allowed to participate in games, scrimmages, or "game-type" scenereos during these practices. I think some high school coaches circulated that rumor for the pure and simple reason most prefer that a girl doesn't. If you have a strong travel team/ high school relationship, there really shouldn't be any problem considering the girl is getting even more practice time and perhaps more prespective into problems with her swing that pop up during the season. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and please don't come back with the excuse she could get hurt during travel ball practice. The same could be said for high school practice. That is just fate, not poor decisions when something like that happens.

The TSSAA lays out strict restrictions on this subject. As long as the player is doing simple infield/outfield drills or hitting in a batting cage she should be ok as long as another player is not pitching to her. The high school coaches circulate the rumor because they don't want to risk forfeiting a game and it is easier to say the player can't practice with another team rather than explain the rule. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Not trying to change the topic, but i would like to ask a different question.

Can a school hire a non faculty coach? I think the answer is yes under certain situations like the coach must have 5 years experience. But the way i read it, they must re-post the position every year and if a certified Educator applies and is qualified to coach they must give it to them. I know that in Tullahoma has a few non faculty coaches and i am not trying to cause them problems, just trying to kill a rumor.

I'm pretty sure the Athletic Director can hire whoever he/she believes is right for the job whether they are faculty or not. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm pretty sure the Athletic Director can hire whoever he/she believes is right for the job whether they are faculty or not. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think you are wrong, if you read the rules very close it says that it has to be posted every year. It is a easy way out for the school system, there is several systems that would love to give the job to someone that appears to be qualifed.

The rules are layed out in this area with a "no border" style definition. Meaning, it does not matter where a person plays that makes the action "prohibitory". And, the action of playing in another state (outside the borders of TN where TSSAA has jurisdiction) is prohibited.

A good example is a player playing in a tournament outside the state of Tennessee and gets thrown out of the game. Even though the TSSAA does not have jurisdiction over that tournament...it still has jurisdiction over that "player". And, that player will have to sit out the next 2 games that her high school team plays, irregardless of WHERE she was playing.

With that, the TSSAA has jurisdiction over that "Player"...no matter where she is playing. In some facets, they have jurisdiction in travel ball as well.

But that is another story.

"irregardless" is not a word.............Dummy /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Ok, I will give you an actual historical account of a similar occurence from 1997.

I had a player play one inning in a win on Monday against Hunters Lane. That night, she went to watch some friends of hers play rec ball. They were one player short. She went out there and played, but did not tell anyone. Unfortunately, players from Hunters Lane were there also.

She played one inning in a blowout win on Tuesday over Maplewood. Hunters Lane then turned her in thinking we would have to forfeit our win over them from Monday since she violated the rule by participating in an independent game-like situation. The TSSAA ruled that she was ineligible from the moment she participated in the independent game and any game she played in AFTER that would be a forfeit. So we got to keep our win from Monday afternoon since it happened before the violation, but forfeited a 26-0 win on Tuesday. She was then ruled ineligible for so many games, but that didn't matter since I kicked her off for violating a rule that I had warned them about already.

If the girl has played in a game like situation ANYWHERE she is ineligible from that point on, period. Can she sit on the bench, sure, but I hope the coach knows that they cannot put her in or they will forfeit. Not fair to the other players.

Also, every county sets their own standards for coaches. The TSSAA simply mandates that any non-faculty coach must attend the coaches' education class. The TSSAA does not decide who any school district can hire to coach their kids. In Metro, you must be a certified teacher to be a head coach, but assistants can be non-faculty. Every assistant football coach we have is non-faculty because we have no teaching openings. The TSSAA does not care if you "post" a job or not. They are not in that business.

Ok, I will give you an actual historical account of a similar occurence from 1997.

I had a player play one inning in a win on Monday against Hunters Lane. That night, she went to watch some friends of hers play rec ball. They were one player short. She went out there and played, but did not tell anyone. Unfortunately, players from Hunters Lane were there also.

She played one inning in a blowout win on Tuesday over Maplewood. Hunters Lane then turned her in thinking we would have to forfeit our win over them from Monday since she violated the rule by participating in an independent game-like situation. The TSSAA ruled that she was ineligible from the moment she participated in the independent game and any game she played in AFTER that would be a forfeit. So we got to keep our win from Monday afternoon since it happened before the violation, but forfeited a 26-0 win on Tuesday. She was then ruled ineligible for so many games, but that didn't matter since I kicked her off for violating a rule that I had warned them about already.

If the girl has played in a game like situation ANYWHERE she is ineligible from that point on, period. Can she sit on the bench, sure, but I hope the coach knows that they cannot put her in or they will forfeit. Not fair to the other players.

Also, every county sets their own standards for coaches. The TSSAA simply mandates that any non-faculty coach must attend the coaches' education class. The TSSAA does not decide who any school district can hire to coach their kids. In Metro, you must be a certified teacher to be a head coach, but assistants can be non-faculty. Every assistant football coach we have is non-faculty because we have no teaching openings.

I think you'd have to forfeit even if she doesn't play as long as she is listed with the TSSAA as a member of your roster, she is forbidden from playing independent ball. Whether or not she actually plays is irrelevant. The school AD would have to write the TSSAA and have her removed from the team which they turn into the TSSAA prior to the season before she can be legally released to play Independant ball. Note Section II Rule B of the TSSAA handbook:

Baseball and Softball handbook

"irregardless" is not a word.............Dummy /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Regardless of your comment, my little padawan...you obviously have learned from my broad knowledge of this area. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Regardless, it should have been capitalized since it was the first word in your sentence. (Silly to correct something like that on a message board, isn't it?)

That was a "comma"...why are we doing this ? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Unfortunately, Riverdale men's soccer can tell you all about this rule. A few years ago they were an amazing team, and about to play in the semifinals of the district tournament when their season was canceled because a player who doesn't play that often played in a rec game. Season came to an abrupt end.