Softball Players that play Basketball

ISTHATRIGHT

I don't think there is anything wrong with playing more than one sport. I played volleyball, basketball, and softball in high school and softball was my main sport, so I chose that to play for five years on college (red-shirt one year). Playing all those sports helped me not only to stay in shape year round, but it also helped me to stay out of trouble and get my work done on time. Many of my players not only PLAY other sports, but they are starters or major contributors on other teams at our school and I love it. I go to the games and cheer for them to win. I do believe that it has become obsessive and that parents are almost forcing children (ages 9, 10, 11) to take private lessons and play the whole year round. I think focusing on one sport is great or choosing to play more than one sport is great. I truly believe that you should let your child decide what he or she wants to play. Once they do decide to play on a team, they need to honor their committment and stick it out as least for that season, and then make a decision. Too many players now are deciding to play and then quitting half way through the season for various reasons...which brings me to another question...(and off topic) Since when did it become an obligation for me to play everyone? When I played (which wasn't very long ago) it was a privilege to play, not something "owed" to them like it is now. Just because you choose a sport and dedicate your time to practicing and lessons does not mean you are guaranteed a playing spot... When it comes down to it, girls will NOT play sports forever and so the reason they play should be enjoyment. If they want to pick one sport then fine, but if they want to play three (like I did) let them do that too. Just make sure they honor their committments to their coaches and teammates...Just my little soap box...

Well said!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter just finished her junior year in college where she plays softball. She always played multiple sports inmiddle and high school but stopped basketball prior to her soph season. She said basketball was too time consuming and the summer practices and camps interfered with her summer softball. She did continue her fall sports though. The basketball coach was NOT understanding to say the least.

I don't think a Coach should pressure a kid to do one sport and nor do I feel they should be punished (example making them run) for having to attend another yet, if your child wants to play two sports that may conflict then they need to know what comes with that! If you come into that sport late then you will be behind and you may not be starting in your normal place. They have to earn their spot back. This is not punishment. this is a lesson in life and fairness to the other that had been their the whole time. The same if they miss a day. Just part of it. Some bounce back quick and some don't. It just depends on what you consider punishment. By the way basketball they are allowed to have spring practice at a certain time,I think its in April.

On another note, I saw the Indians practice today. I don't know why people are frowning. I think they will be just fine, little rusty but come August they will be ready. We still have alot out to.

Slaughter is playing RB while Chris is out and Hayworth is third string right tackle behind Corey Hall and Britton Leaper. Left tackle is Matt Blackwell and second is Taylor Hylemon. This is what I saw today.

Sitll trying to figure some out, under the helments and others I just don't know. Show up at the maroon and grey Tomm. Oh yeah I'm pretty sure Patrick Hanson is starting right guard and Cody Fuller is starting left guard. They look strong up front. Hope that helps

David Roop Looks good at QB and Zack Bryant is his center. Seems freshman will make up the special teams and our linebackers look strong, Rusty Clark and Zack Carland. Did not see the DL much today so not sure about them yet. We are a young team, but I think we will do good. Next year we should have an empire. BUT THIS IS JUST SPRING PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!! Alot could change by August.

I don't think a Coach should pressure a kid to do one sport and nor do I feel they should be punished (example making them run) for having to attend another yet, if your child wants to play two sports that may conflict then they need to know what comes with that! If you come into that sport late then you will be behind and you may not be starting in your normal place. They have to earn their spot back. This is not punishment. this is a lesson in life and fairness to the other that had been their the whole time. The same if they miss a day. Just part of it. Some bounce back quick and some don't. It just depends on what you consider punishment. By the way basketball they are allowed to have spring practice at a certain time,I think its in April.

On another note, I saw the Indians practice today. I don't know why people are frowning. I think they will be just fine, little rusty but come August they will be ready. We still have alot out to.

Slaughter is playing RB while Chris is out and Hayworth is third string right tackle behind Corey Hall and Britton Leaper. Left tackle is Matt Blackwell and second is Taylor Hylemon. This is what I saw today.

Sitll trying to figure some out, under the helments and others I just don't know. Show up at the maroon and grey Tomm. Oh yeah I'm pretty sure Patrick Hanson is starting right guard and Cody Fuller is starting left guard. They look strong up front. Hope that helps

David Roop Looks good at QB and Zack Bryant is his center. Seems freshman will make up the special teams and our linebackers look strong, Rusty Clark and Zack Carland. Did not see the DL much today so not sure about them yet. We are a young team, but I think we will do good. Next year we should have an empire. BUT THIS IS JUST SPRING PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!! Alot could change by August.

Sorry guys I did not mean to invade your site. I thought I hit football and did not discover it till I already hit post. Well, I hope the upper part of the comment was a help.

Lots of good points on this thread, but I admit I'm a bit confused about the original post. How does having a basketball class in fourth period interfere with softball? Do they also practice softball during that period? If she simply doesn't want to fool with basketball at all right now, then that's a whole different matter.

They practice after school, but the players that play basketball will have a full practice during the fourth period. The players come out exhausted from basketball then they have to practice or have a game. It hurts the team and the player. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

They practice after school, but the players that play basketball will have a full practice during the fourth period. The players come out exhausted from basketball then they have to practice or have a game. It hurts the team and the player. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That is my point exactly they have come out of the gym exhausted and had to play a game that day. So someone tell me why a coach of another sport out of season can't have enough respect of the one in season to let the kids be 100% on GAME DAY!

Wow! I strongly disagree with the comment: "dedicated ones don't get burned out".....

There is a top notch coach in Murfreesboro, who was one of the top ten post players in the US when she played high school basketball. She could have "signed on the dotted line" probably anywhere; but due to HER coach---she quit playing after her senior year in high school--DUE TO BURN OUT! The sad thing is---now that she is coaching---some of her players have "burned out" because she is using some of the same "techniques" that her old coach used on her. Some of that "weeding out" is due to over-zealous coaching--not from the players lack of "dedication"! This is not a business---it is a sport!

Even though some players will go on to college and play ball---what in the heck are they going to do after college? For most of them, realistically, they will not be playing in the WNBA and if they do make it to that level---have you seen the salary for most of those players? They had better use those scholarships in college to "study". Hopefully, our daughters will learn THROUGH the game of basketball or other sports how to cope with life and challenges. But the sport alone, does NOT guarantee them a wonderful life! And they cannot get these high school years back again.

You mentioned "the girls will appreciate their down time and not get burned out like they would by playing "multiple sports".....I'm laughing out loud! Since my daughter started playing basketball--there IS NO SUCH THING as DOWNTIME! She has NO LIFE outside of the gym. Now, she "chose" to do this--but it has taken it's toll on her this past year. For the first time ever--she said "I'm not sure if I want to play in college"......but that does NOT make her any less "dedicated" to her sport, team and coach right now. She is almost 18 and she is making a "decision" about her future...... so I really resent the comment about "lack of dedication". I'm glad you are not her coach!

Ahh Smokey we meet again. I too played 3 sports in HS and 2 in college. I am thankful to my coaches for pushing me in all the sports. I am glad you are NOT my coach, pushing me to be my best, to work hard and not quit when it gets tough. We know the real meaning behind your post. Since I know the coach/player you are writing about I will let you know that 4 girls are running track, 1 softball, 2 volleyball all at the encouragement of the coach. She has also encouraged players to work in the community, church, and other volunteer organizations. I am proud of this coach for her dedication to her players.

That is my point exactly they have come out of the gym exhausted and had to play a game that day. So someone tell me why a coach of another sport out of season can't have enough respect of the one in season to let the kids be 100% on GAME DAY!

Cause they are selfish and only thinking of their own sport and not the total athletic program at your school...happens everywhere..needs to stop!!!

Coaches need to work togther to have the best overall athletic program in their school...sorry that does not happen very often and that is why this thread has become so popular...nuff said /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Prof is in the pudding /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Ahh Smokey we meet again. I too played 3 sports in HS and 2 in college. I am thankful to my coaches for pushing me in all the sports. I am glad you are NOT my coach, pushing me to be my best, to work hard and not quit when it gets tough. We know the real meaning behind your post. Since I know the coach/player you are writing about I will let you know that 4 girls are running track, 1 softball, 2 volleyball all at the encouragement of the coach. She has also encouraged players to work in the community, church, and other volunteer organizations. I am proud of this coach for her dedication to her players.

Ahh yes....GAPET......

I'm so happy that you played 3 sports in HS and 2 in college. I'm sure that you would be considered to be an expert in this matter! I'm not sure what age you are, but in my "days" long ago.... most sports "ended" and were "finished" until the next season. In this thread---that is what most of the posters were saying....Whatever happened to the "season" being over---it seems that basketball goes on, and on, and on. If you played 3 sports in high school, then I would consider that awesome! I don't know many athletes who could do that as well as 2 in college! Good for you!

This particular coach in the post above is an awesome coach! I only spoke the truth about her being "burned out" in high school; she has admitted that to me in the past as well as to several people. Nothing wrong with that--but she was VERY dedicated to her sport and probably regrets not playing in college. It is ONLY my opinion that she "pushes" too hard--similar to her old coach (in fact most people familiar with that--believe it to be true as well)-but I am not saying that she is not a good coach! I have even recommended her camp to some younger players' parents as recent as this past Monday. Her camps are phenominal and young players really respond to her.

Most of the subject of this thread and most of my comments were actually "directed" at an AAU coach who said that no one that played for "him" or "her" would be allowed to play any other sports during the AAU season. All of the comments on this thread are related to playing "multiple sports" and most of the posters agree that some "basketball" coaches don't like it when their players participate in other sports or they have them in the school "conditioning" and they are too tired to play softball, volleyball, etc. There was also much discussion about burn-out, (and he said there is no such thing--it only means a player isn't "dedicated")---well I know for a fact, in her situation--that was not true; thus my comment about her high school situation.

Now, personally the coach that you are referring to, did indeed tell my daughter on numerous occasions, whether it was tennis or golf---that if "she had time to be hitting a tennis ball or golf ball" then she should be shooting hoops instead". I'm glad that since this coach is now at Riverdale; she has changed her thoughts on participating in other sports! Good for her!

Your post will not get me to say ugly things. If that is the way that you want to continue this year---go ahead. I believe it is very childish.

Let's move on and be positive and support our coaches, players and each other! Just because we disagree on certain "things", doesn't mean we cannot act responsibly on message boards. If you would like to email me or phone me, to discuss your "hatred" towards me, then please do so. I know that you know who I am and I'm sure you have my phone number or you can get it from Coach.

Ahh yes....GAPET......

I'm so happy that you played 3 sports in HS and 2 in college. I'm sure that you would be considered to be an expert in this matter! I'm not sure what age you are, but in my "days" long ago.... most sports "ended" and were "finished" until the next season. In this thread---that is what most of the posters were saying....Whatever happened to the "season" being over---it seems that basketball goes on, and on, and on. If you played 3 sports in high school, then I would consider that awesome! I don't know many athletes who could do that as well as 2 in college! Good for you!

This particular coach in the post above is an awesome coach! I only spoke the truth about her being "burned out" in high school; she has admitted that to me in the past as well as to several people. Nothing wrong with that--but she was VERY dedicated to her sport and probably regrets not playing in college. It is ONLY my opinion that she "pushes" too hard--similar to her old coach (in fact most people familiar with that--believe it to be true as well)-but I am not saying that she is not a good coach! I have even recommended her camp to some younger players' parents as recent as this past Monday. Her camps are phenominal and young players really respond to her.

Most of the subject of this thread and most of my comments were actually "directed" at an AAU coach who said that no one that played for "him" or "her" would be allowed to play any other sports during the AAU season. All of the comments on this thread are related to playing "multiple sports" and most of the posters agree that some "basketball" coaches don't like it when their players participate in other sports or they have them in the school "conditioning" and they are too tired to play softball, volleyball, etc. There was also much discussion about burn-out, (and he said there is no such thing--it only means a player isn't "dedicated")---well I know for a fact, in her situation--that was not true; thus my comment about her high school situation.

Now, personally the coach the you are referring to, did indeed tell my daughter on numerous occasions, whether it was tennis or golf---that if "she had time to be hitting a tennis ball or golf ball" then she should be shooting hoops instead". I'm glad that since she is at Riverdale now; she has changed her thoughts on participating in other sports! Good for her!

Your posts will not get to me to say ugly things. If that is the way that you want to continue this year---go ahead. I believe it is very childish.

Let's move on and be positive and support our coaches, players and each other! Just because we disagree on certain "things", doesn't mean we cannot act responsibly on message boards. If you would like to email me or phone me, to discuss your "hatred" towards me, then please do so. I know that you know who I am and I'm sure you have my phone number or you can get it from Coach.

You tell em "Smokey". I played 4 in high school but dat don't make me an expert, and, got my whole education paid in college playing as well. And DAT don't make me an expert. The key dat "chia-pet" is missin in dis whole thread is the fact dat coaches use their position to corral kids into "their" sport. That is da problem. If a coach is encouraging them to play them all...THAT is a good coach. If they don't...they is selfish. Every coach worth their salt will push kids to be dar best. But, "Chia" dat ain't da point. The point is if dat coach is encourgaing a player to be dar best in the sport THEY coach.

That is the point of did thread. All da mean stuff should be left in da locker room. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Here is an idea. Go to school during school time, and practice after school like some schools have to do. Let's make it a level playing field for all. Then, you get rid of this problem. I agree that if a girl wants to play softball, she should not have to (or even be allowed to) play basketball during that time. There is a flip side to this. While this girl is playing softball and the "basketball only" girls are playing AAU to get better and dedicating all of their time to basketball, the two sport athletes may lose a couple spots on the depth charts.