Time to Revisit the 'Limbaugh Plan' again

davidlimbaugh

This plan is fine and dandy until you consider that (except for a few rare cases) pretty much ALL smaller Single A teams are lucky to have JUST one very good pitcher.

So pretty much what you are saying is with this plan is the if you are a Public Single A school with, say 300-250 kids or lower, you should pretty much not even play baseball...

Correct me if I am wrong.

I'd say you are wrong because Single A plays against Single A and double vs. double and triple vs triple. I've seen triple A schools make it to the state championship game with one Ace and one near Ace before.

Overall I like the plan. Instead of having two important games to get to state after district, there would be what 3 or 4?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This plan is fine and dandy until you consider that (except for a few rare cases) pretty much ALL smaller Single A teams are lucky to have JUST one very good pitcher.

So pretty much what you are saying is with this plan is the if you are a Public Single A school with, say 300-250 kids or lower, you should pretty much not even play baseball...

Correct me if I am wrong.

Your are wrong - LOL!!!!!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Mikie Minor and Drew Hayes are great examples of what I am talking about. The biggest crowd at the state tournament that year? SINGLE A Forrest vs McKenzie at MTSU for the finals with Minor vs Hayes. They are playing at some little school in Nashville last time I checked /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Riverdale has been hosting A spring fling since it moved to the Boro and I have seen some great games with some great kids! I will miss seeing 'Boog Powell' at FCS /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I'd say you are wrong because Single A plays against Single A and double vs. double and triple vs triple. I've seen triple A schools make it to the state championship game with one Ace and one near Ace before.

Overall I like the plan. Instead of having two important games to get to state after district, there would be what 3 or 4?

Well I believe every round SHOULD be double elimanation as well. But because baseball should be. Not because of the whole one pitcher deal...

True, 1A playes 1A, 2A plays 2A. and 3A plays 3A, but in 1A you have a WHOLE lot more disparity as you do in the other classes... In Single A, you have schools playing school 3, almost 4 times their size, in their own disrtict. An example: District 4A Oliver Springs- 460 students; Sunbright- 154 students. Or District 12A Summertown- 436; Frank Hughes- 103. Or District 2A Cosby- 483; J. Frank White- 60.

I just believe it is unfair to demand the a school with 150 students to have more than 1 good pitcher. Its unreal... Small public schools have more than one good pitch only once in a blue moon... Only ones I can think of off the top of my head is Coalfield in '98 and the reacent Lookout Valley teams.

Your are wrong - LOL!!!!!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Mikie Minor and Drew Hayes are great examples of what I am talking about. The biggest crowd at the state tournament that year? SINGLE A Forrest vs McKenzie at MTSU for the finals with Minor vs Hayes. They are playing at some little school in Nashville last time I checked /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Riverdale has been hosting A spring fling since it moved to the Boro and I have seen some great games with some great kids! I will miss seeing 'Boog Powell' at FCS /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Yes I know, I was there. I was actually on the same side of the bracket as Minor....

And McKenzie has over 400 students, And Forrest has over 475. They are both in the top quarter of enrollment in Single A.

Enrollment doesn't have anything to do with it in my opinion. You have to have a 2nd pitcher at least to get through the district and state. Why shouldn't it be the same at region? If it's double elimination, there's at least some strategy involved. As it is, pitch your stud in the elimination games and your off pitcher in the ones for seeding at regional. Still gotta have 2 pitchers when you get to state. I mean, it's a double elimination tournament there.

It's stupid to have up to 3 different formats for the 3 tournaments. It smells like we're making up the rules as we go. Best TEAM should win state anyway. Not best PITCHER.

Let's face it, EVERY team is lucky to have one good pitcher.

David -

The only reason I don't like this plan is because you could have two teams playing each other 6 times in the district and regional tournaments.

I do suppose that is better than the current format though.

I still say modify the district tournament where the top 2 teams in the regular season advance to the region and have a single elim tournament to get teams three and four. Then have an 8 team double elim regional tournament played at both #1 sites until it gets to the final six and then play it at alternating regions #1.

David -

The only reason I don't like this plan is because you could have two teams playing each other 6 times in the district and regional tournaments.

I do suppose that is better than the current format though.

I still say modify the district tournament where the top 2 teams in the regular season advance to the region and have a single elim tournament to get teams three and four. Then have an 8 team double elim regional tournament played at both #1 sites until it gets to the final six and then play it at alternating regions #1.

Baseball is a series game - a head to head more than once game - survival of the fittest in your neck of the woods /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well I believe every round SHOULD be double elimanation as well. But because baseball should be. Not because of the whole one pitcher deal...

True, 1A playes 1A, 2A plays 2A. and 3A plays 3A, but in 1A you have a WHOLE lot more disparity as you do in the other classes... In Single A, you have schools playing school 3, almost 4 times their size, in their own disrtict. An example: District 4A Oliver Springs- 460 students; Sunbright- 154 students. Or District 12A Summertown- 436; Frank Hughes- 103. Or District 2A Cosby- 483; J. Frank White- 60.

I just believe it is unfair to demand the a school with 150 students to have more than 1 good pitcher. Its unreal... Small public schools have more than one good pitch only once in a blue moon... Only ones I can think of off the top of my head is Coalfield in '98 and the reacent Lookout Valley teams.

crazy' I don't understand your argument at all? I am not 'demanding' a team have a good pitcher. Just the opposite. I am trying to solve a problem where (as you say most teams that don't have a dominant #1) don't have a chance to go to spring fling because they are in the same proximity and classification as a team with a great #1. I am trying to give a school that has 3 or 4 #3's a shot /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Baseball is a series game - a head to head more than once game - survival of the fittest in your neck of the woods /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

As long as you include a provision that at the end of the regions if the 2 teams are tied at 3 games a piece in the districts/regions they get to play a 7th game to decide who goes. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

As long as you include a provision that at the end of the regions if the 2 teams are tied at 3 games a piece in the districts/regions they get to play a 7th game to decide who goes. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Ah! But on baseball, it isn't how many you win or lose, but WHICH GAMES ya win or lose /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ah! But on baseball, it isn't how many you win or lose, but WHICH GAMES ya win or lose /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I love this idea of double elim. it is much more baseball than this current win monday win friday mess. I have a slightly alternate proposal though... what if we were to play the region tournies as you propose in double elimination format and then use the sub state match-ups as a collegiate super regional substitute. Have the two teams play a three game series? To me it is much more exciting to see teams get rematched it adds a little drama and excitement because every game is different. Look at the 7-AAA touney... Blackman and Siegel played three times and produced some very very exciting games.

I agree that right now TSSAA is way too much 1 and done in baseball. It elimimates any room for an off or once in a lifetime performance. Look at baseball at any level the best teams ALWAYS lose to worse teams its a game of multiple performances and right now TSSAA doesn't account for that.

And David I hope we bring a good show Monday night. We need the bats that showed up against Lebanon!!!

GO BLAZE!!!

I have discussed the 'Limbaugh Plan' with my friends at TSSAA several times over the years and their main argument is that a lot of A and AA schools are scattered pretty far apart and hard to get them together for a regional tournament.

How about we ask TSSAA to give each REGION their choice of the current Mon Wed Fri format or a Region tournament format? Keep in mind the Limbaugh plan eliminates the 'sub state' game, i.e. every region gets 1 team in the state tournament, while the current Mon Wed Fri format pits region vs region on Friday and a region can get 0, 1 or 2 teams in the state tournament. So we give a region the choice of a double elimination tournament or a single elimination tournament to get their representative to the state tournament, i.e the current Mon Wed has no Friday game for regions that want to go single-elimination.

What do ya think?