Preseason Top 10 in 5A?

92Dragon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Coachfoozeball....you seem to know the Patriots pretty well.....although.......I should bring to your attention that the reason Henry County "petitioned" along with Morristown West was to bring to THEIR (TSSAA) attention that BOTH schools were 5A when the enrollments were set in October. However, based on the CHOICES of Memphis Mitchell and Clarksville West Creek, both HC and M'town West changed classifications for the post season. The statement was made before the governing body that HC will play whereever the board deems neccessary....however.... understand that when the enrollment figures were announced, both teams were 5A. The Board unanimously agreed that no school should be moved based on the "choice to play up" by another school. I think we would ALL agree to the fairness of that decision. Most in Paris would have no problem playing 6A if the TSSAA mandates that HC, due to its numbers, should play 6A postseason.....but....those aren't decisions that we make.

I too was at the Hillsboro game and still to this day wish we had 2 plays back. One being the Burros first play from scrimmage the other being the play where HC was penalized for a "chop-block"...these 2 plays proves costly for the Patriots. But, I believe that HC will be very strong and a little deeper in 2009 than they were in 2008. Good luck to your team in the upcoming season and hope to bump into you down the long playoff road!!

The only two things that I know about the "Patriots" are that they have been pretty darn good and that their fans get on here and act like they are the best thing since the New England Patriots! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> other then that I really do not know much about you at all.

I do wonder if you had been put in 6A and then got bumped down because of moving schools if you would have asked to stay in 6A? I doubt it /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

All I was saying was the guy who first said you would not make the playoffs must have thought you were being put in 6A. He did not know what he was talking about. Like I said before, the district would still be the same and you would still make the playoffs.

Check history. I love Tennessee high school football and I look things up all the time. Many teams that excelled in 4A struggled in 5A. Many teams that excelled in 3A struggled in 4A and I could go on. You pushed to be put in 5A playoffs because of better chance to win come playoff time. I don't blame you or your school, but don't sit there and say "we will play whoever or wherever" when that is not what you did!

Oh and on the Hillsboro game. That was one heck of a game. You'lls QB was awesome. I was not so impressed with the big Fullback. Hillsboro won because they had the better overall speed looked like to me. It was a great game and good luck this coming year.

The only two things that I know about the "Patriots" are that they have been pretty darn good and that their fans get on here and act like they are the best thing since the New England Patriots! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> other then that I really do not know much about you at all.

I do wonder if you had been put in 6A and then got bumped down because of moving schools if you would have asked to stay in 6A? I doubt it /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

All I was saying was the guy who first said you would not make the playoffs must have thought you were being put in 6A. He did not know what he was talking about. Like I said before, the district would still be the same and you would still make the playoffs.

Check history. I love Tennessee high school football and I look things up all the time. Many teams that excelled in 4A struggled in 5A. Many teams that excelled in 3A struggled in 4A and I could go on. You pushed to be put in 5A playoffs because of better chance to win come playoff time. I don't blame you or your school, but don't sit there and say "we will play whoever or wherever" when that is not what you did!

Oh and on the Hillsboro game. That was one heck of a game. You'lls QB was awesome. I was not so impressed with the big Fullback. Hillsboro won because they had the better overall speed looked like to me. It was a great game and good luck this coming year.

Surely you jest, you don't mean ALL the Fans?

Someone can clear me up on this but had HCHS stayed in 6A would they not have to travel to Nashville or Memphis for about half the games? Those are long trips for players and fans. Even though it seems we are playing the Gateway to the South every week at least all the other sports programs are too.

I look at the "we will play whoever or wherever" like this. Pats used to be NW TN Region then Middle TN then NW Middle TN region then West TN Region now back to NW Middle TN region. (May have missed one or two) Geographical they have played in Regions spanning the majority of State. I guess that is what they get for being located where they are. But it is a good place to be.

GO PATS !

Well come to a game in Paris sometime and you will see that we are pretty "darn good" and our fans are awesome! Where else can you come to a packed house and see Hank Jr. bring out the game ball from a helicopter? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Where ever it is you coach, then call up Coach Gaddis and I'm sure he'd be happy to schedule a game with your team.

As far as top 10 in 5A I'm not for sure what teams are in there for sure but here is some that will be in the running.

Henry County -- of course

Melrose

Hillsboro

Hendersonville

Gallatin

I know nothing about east TN football so I won't even try to put a name on here.

Guest Advisor

Someone can clear me up on this but had HCHS stayed in 6A would they not have to travel to Nashville or Memphis for about half the games? Those are long trips for players and fans. Even though it seems we are playing the Gateway to the South every week at least all the other sports programs are too

Yes.....I can clear this up for you......it doesn't matter which "post season classification" HC had been placed in....in 2009, Henry Co. would still compete in District 10AAA.....the same district as they compete in for basketball, baseball, soccer, and many other sports. The only way any Nashville or Memphis teams would be on the schedule is if a team from either city would have elected to play HC in a non-district game. Keep in mind that District 10AAA is a 9 team district resulting in 8 district weeks. That only leaves 2 other games for non-district play.

Puzzling to say the least, why would anyone care about traveling to either city for a district game?......over the last 4 years, Hardin Co., Munford, and Brighton have all been in our region.....each of which are further away than nearly all Davidson Co. schools that we might consider playing with the exception being Antioch which is located in the Southeast corner of Davidson Co. Even if it were the case.....who cares.....we played the Metro-Nashville region all through the 90s and had very good success against Hunters Lane, McGavock, Hillsboro, Hillwood, and Whites Creek. Travel is a non-issue.

Someone can clear me up on this but had HCHS stayed in 6A would they not have to travel to Nashville or Memphis for about half the games? Those are long trips for players and fans. Even though it seems we are playing the Gateway to the South every week at least all the other sports programs are too

Yes.....I can clear this up for you......it doesn't matter which "post season classification" HC had been placed in....in 2009, Henry Co. would still compete in District 10AAA.....the same district as they compete in for basketball, baseball, soccer, and many other sports. The only way any Nashville or Memphis teams would be on the schedule is if a team from either city would have elected to play HC in a non-district game. Keep in mind that District 10AAA is a 9 team district resulting in 8 district weeks. That only leaves 2 other games for non-district play.

Puzzling to say the least, why would anyone care about traveling to either city for a district game?......over the last 4 years, Hardin Co., Munford, and Brighton have all been in our region.....each of which are further away than nearly all Davidson Co. schools that we might consider playing with the exception being Antioch which is located in the Southeast corner of Davidson Co. Even if it were the case.....who cares.....we played the Metro-Nashville region all through the 90s and had very good success against Hunters Lane, McGavock, Hillsboro, Hillwood, and Whites Creek. Travel is a non-issue.

I know the TSSAA in their infinite wisdom had ya'll play some of those West Tenn schools but I have always thought due to location that the Clarksville schools were a better fit. I agree that Henry Co is kinda on an island geographically due to school size. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, it seemed like Henry County and Dickson Co were always the representatives from District 10. Every once in awhile Clarksville would sneak in there but HC and DC were the main ones that I remember. Gaddis is a good coach. He handed Gallatin a few big losses while he was at Oak Ridge. He prepares his teams well and is always a tough competitor. It appears he has turned Henry County back to some success since Counce left a good while back. I was curious when he took the job but starting with the kid who went to TSU, McNall I think was his name, he turned the program into a power. I have a feeling with this new playoff grouping that Gallatin and Henry County could get a meeting earlier than either one of us want. However, if that does happen should be a great crowd and atmoshere. Lot of football to be played before that could happen though.

I haven't picked a top ten in this class yet and probably won't but Henry Co would be in it. I like seeing some of these East staters pick all these teams from around their area because of the unknown about middle and west football.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't figure out the Mitchell over Ridgeway picks.

Mitchell is probably one of the top teams in the state. Maybe even number 2 or 3. Im not sure. They are from the inner-city memphis area and they are big, fast and athletic. Catholic had their hands full with them last year at state. The only weakness on their team was probably quarterback, and the QB they played was pretty good, he just had a rough day and too many passes were called. They return most of their team from last year-and thats scary. Artavius Gibson? I think his name is will dominate in their running game next year. Maybe one of the best backs I've seen in high school. And of course their start WR will be back. Thats all I know about mitchell,but let me tell you they are a serious state contender.

Mitchell is probably one of the top teams in the state. Maybe even number 2 or 3. Im not sure. They are from the inner-city memphis area and they are big, fast and athletic. Catholic had their hands full with them last year at state. The only weakness on their team was probably quarterback, and the QB they played was pretty good, he just had a rough day and too many passes were called. They return most of their team from last year-and thats scary. Artavius Gibson? I think his name is will dominate in their running game next year. Maybe one of the best backs I've seen in high school. And of course their start WR will be back. Thats all I know about mitchell,but let me tell you they are a serious state contender.

Thanks for the information. You obviously have seen them and I haven't. My concern if I was a Mitchell fan is the huge step up in competition at this level. White Station, Whitehaven, Mem East, and Melrose all in the same district could spell trouble. Ridgeway has been very good playing against this same competition was the reason I asked. Mitchell might be that good even in this classification but I have to think that the athletic curve is going to rear its head. Big difference in competition between those schools and Frayser, Hillcrest and Sheffield.