Dobyns Bennett Football History

I think it is interesting how many opinions there are as to whom will be good or why D-B hasn't won it all and yet those who want to down D-B for having won the state titles they have won as somehow the titles aren't legit because they were chosen by the opinions of the voters...???...opinions are like something else that everyone has - it is an old saying...

D-B hasn't won, because they were beaten and or lost - outcoached, outplayed, outprepared, weathered...whatever...in that given game...a play brokedown...a bad play was called...an official blew a call...a pass was dropped...a tackle missed... a turnover happened because an opponent made a play...a monsoon hit...but regardless, the Indians were there...and South and Science Hill fans, they were still beating your team...and Knoxville area teams - Bearden, Karns, South-Doyle, Blount, Heritage, Mo East, Jeff County, Sevier County, and all the other Big East Conference teams - D-B has a winning record against you, as well...and Oak Ridge, D-B has a Coach Clark winning record against you, too...but no state title...the Tribe have an even record against MBA, winning record against Red Bank...and everybody else they have played...

regular season opponents don't matter in the playoffs...it comes down to that game and a variety of issues decide a game...but again, for the Indians there is a proven track record of being in the playoffs...

and just to add to the mix - in basketball D-B has the most state tournament appearances, wins, and losses...nope, no state titles...but a real chance virtually every year...everyone says that; D-B lives it...and earns it...in all sports

Roll Tribe Roll

i agree ,when you talk highschool sports in TN . D.B. is one of the first ,evryone knows about D.B. and it's proud tradition . (D.B. is also rank in the top 1400 U.S. highschools in education by a national mag.) Sports and education you can't beat'm

To be completely fair, nobody really knows how many championships DB would have won if it had been played on the field. But at the same time, detractors can't blame the players or the school for those championships either. I'm sure those teams would have liked to have settled it on the field. It wasn't their fault that there was not a playoff system in place before 1969. It's kinda like saying that all the college football national championships voted on by the media (AP and UPI) before their was a BCS were not valid either. Are you trying to say that national championships like UT, Alabama, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Oklahoma were all illegitimate before 1998? That too would be silly.

Never said they did not deserve it as that was the way it was done then. I also agree with you that the kids would have loved the playoff format we use now. I know I would have. The playoff system has a way of shutting folks up as to how good some teams are and are NOT.

• 8 years later...
39 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Anybody living in NET will find this thread from 8 years ago interesting reading.      Take a few moments to check it out.....   has anything changed since 2009?      Or are we going to see something special happen in the next 4 weeks?

Nothing's changed brother. No disrespect to DB though, Knoxville and now Murfreesboro just have a different caliber athlete than even DB or SH can produce. Blazer, did you realize that EVERY Knoxville team that made the playoffs won Friday night? A lot of which were lower seeds and had to travel. 

58 minutes ago, KennyPowers55 said:

Nothing's changed brother. No disrespect to DB though, Knoxville and now Murfreesboro just have a different caliber athlete than even DB or SH can produce. Blazer, did you realize that EVERY Knoxville team that made the playoffs won Friday night? A lot of which were lower seeds and had to travel. 

No kidding, the Knoxville teams cleaned house.

I wonder if it's all athletes though, could Knoxville and middle TN have better coaching too?    Maybe they are more 24/7 serious about football than we are in NET in terms of off season conditioning and so forth..

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

No kidding, the Knoxville teams cleaned house.

I wonder if it's all athletes though, could Knoxville and middle TN have better coaching too?    Maybe they are more 24/7 serious about football than we are in NET in terms of off season conditioning and so forth..

Maybe, but you see tons of kids from middle TN going to major D1 schools year in and year out, Other than Swafford and Foreman 4-5 years ago, who else from NET has went major D1?

4 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Anybody living in NET will find this thread from 8 years ago interesting reading.      Take a few moments to check it out.....   has anything changed since 2009?      Or are we going to see something special happen in the next 4 weeks?

I think Greeneville will at least play for a gold ball.  Cloudland may make some noise if they survive this week.  North may make the 3rd round, which is a real accomplishment.  That's about it.

IMO, what hurts NET teams are:

A.)  A lack of overall speed, which is more due to the population demographics than anything else.  This is compounded by almost every team in the area trying to run a spread offense now that isolates players in space--that can work out both ways.

B.) Politics/relatives and "we've always done it this way" have more to do with coaching hires than anything else.  In bigger districts like Knox County you don't have as much nepotism going around for something as small as an assistant coach job.

C.)  Poor passing attacks and pass defense.  Let's face it: nobody east of Knoxville really throws the ball that well, even when they throw it around a lot.  Johnson County and Greeneville are the only teams I can think of who do it well.  Crockett and Cherokee aren't afraid to sling it, but they're not very efficient when they do and they throw way too many INTs and incompletions.  In general, the passing game is coached better on the MS level in middle TN than it is at the HS level in NET.  Spread offenses that can't throw the ball aren't going to work against equal talent.

Sullivan North plays to their talent better than anyone in the area with their Double Wing offense and emphasis on fundamentals, but that's not a sexy offense to run because it's not on TV.

Funny that The Knoxville area high school teams have some fine players and coaches ,then you look at the University of Tennessee located in Knoxville .They are going to spend 340 million on upgrades to Neyland stadium .I've not read the news and don't know if anything has changed today but shouldn't they first fire a coach or fire the whole lot of them and rebuild a football program that will bring back the fans and get the top players.Now if Alabama wanted to spend a billion on a new football stadium or whatever,that would be understandable for goodness sakes because they have a football program.

24 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

I think Greeneville will at least play for a gold ball.  Cloudland may make some noise if they survive this week.  North may make the 3rd round, which is a real accomplishment.  That's about it.

IMO, what hurts NET teams are:

A.)  A lack of overall speed, which is more due to the population demographics than anything else.  This is compounded by almost every team in the area trying to run a spread offense now that isolates players in space--that can work out both ways.

B.) Politics/relatives and "we've always done it this way" have more to do with coaching hires than anything else.  In bigger districts like Knox County you don't have as much nepotism going around for something as small as an assistant coach job.

C.)  Poor passing attacks and pass defense.  Let's face it: nobody east of Knoxville really throws the ball that well, even when they throw it around a lot.  Johnson County and Greeneville are the only teams I can think of who do it well.  Crockett and Cherokee aren't afraid to sling it, but they're not very efficient when they do and they throw way too many INTs and incompletions.  In general, the passing game is coached better on the MS level in middle TN than it is at the HS level in NET.  Spread offenses that can't throw the ball aren't going to work against equal talent.

Sullivan North plays to their talent better than anyone in the area with their Double Wing offense and emphasis on fundamentals, but that's not a sexy offense to run because it's not on TV.

North always gets a few DB players and few people know it but a bunch of DB's top players thought about going over there but decided to play it out for DB.Great coach at North and had that happened, they might have won it all instead of doing better then most local NET teams.Greeneville without a question has done very well and proves with the right coaches and program,any NET team could compete on any given year.Starts with the head coach and staff around him.Add a great strength program and you can see the results.No NET other then Greeneville has ever played in 3 straight title games.Matter of fact without looking it up,very few schools in the state have ever played in 3 straight title games.Maryville and Alcoa jump out as the best ever but then it gets slim to the team's that have accomplished that.