• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the MBA website:

7/31 vs. Riverdale

8/4 vs. Goodpasture

8/7 @ Smyrna

8/13 vs. Wilson Central

It's hard for me to understand why the TSSAA lets practice start so early now. A scrimmage in July?!

Roll Red!

That was my initial thought as well. If there's a scrimmage on 7/31, when is the first day of practice?

That was my initial thought as well. If there's a scrimmage on 7/31, when is the first day of practice?

First day of practice is one week from this Mon. (July 27th) Also playing into the mix is a new heat index policy. Games/practices/scrimmages cannot be held if heat index is 104 or higher. Scrimmages will probably be scheduled later in the day than in the past. Could prove complicated for practices during hot weeks. Imagine teams will schedule evening practices instead of after school during weeks where higher heat index is expected.

First day of practice is one week from this Mon. (July 27th) Also playing into the mix is a new heat index policy. Games/practices/scrimmages cannot be held if heat index is 104 or higher. Scrimmages will probably be scheduled later in the day than in the past. Could prove complicated for practices during hot weeks. Imagine teams will schedule evening practices instead of after school during weeks where higher heat index is expected.

The head index rule is just another reason that football practice should not start until around 08/15 each year with the first regular season game played the Friday after Labor Day. Starting football practice in July is more than stupid it is asking for trouble.

The head index rule is just another reason that football practice should not start until around 08/15 each year with the first regular season game played the Friday after Labor Day. Starting football practice in July is more than stupid it is asking for trouble.

For years and years up until about '74, practice started 10 august. It worked quite well. most schools had 2 weeks of two-a-days, and then started school. Obviously, that needed to be changed.

Honestly, as long as the coaches aren't over doing it, practices could be left to their discretion. Keep everyone hydrated and have a decent amount of breaks and no one will pass out. And I didn't really mind practice starting so early. I mean, that first game can really set the tone for a season so I think it's better to be over prepared in that sense.

Correct.......and they will not play that game if the HI is 104 or higher.

Oh and the wimpification of America continues. Everyone gets a trophy (8 classes) and dear golly, if it's too hot outside lil' Johnny shouldn't be forced to be outside. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />