Game 3 (1) MORRISTOWN WEST v. (8) SOUTH DOYLE 6:00

Game 4 (2) JEFFERSON COUNTY v. (7) CHEROKEE 7:30

FRIDAY (Feb. 19)

Game 5 Game 2 winner v. Game 3 winner 6:00

Game 6 Game 1 winner v. Game 4 winner 7:30

MONDAY (Feb. 22)

Consolation Game 5 loser v. Game 6 loser 6:00

Championship Game 5 winner v. Game 6 winner 7:30

I would have thought that as a reward for being the number 1 and 2 seeds, that they would play Monday, and have the 4 days of rest for Friday's game. I understand that, in theory, they have the easier games, and thus should not be as stressed as the the 3-6 seeds, but I still think there should be some reward for being the 1 and 2 seeds.

I would have thought that as a reward for being the number 1 and 2 seeds, that they would play Monday, and have the 4 days of rest for Friday's game. I understand that, in theory, they have the easier games, and thus should not be as stressed as the the 3-6 seeds, but I still think there should be some reward for being the 1 and 2 seeds.

Absolutely....

In previous years, the top two seeds have gotten rewarded by a bye - which was an automatic bid to the region tournament.

This year, with an extended conference schedule that comprises nearly 60 percent (14 of 24 games allowed by the TSSAA), the reward is playing on one days rest if you make the semifinals, which is the most important game of the year since the winners receive a home region game.

Some reward there.... Really, with the nearly two-third regular season schedule comprising of conference games, I think they should've went with the staggered bracket that puts the one and twos in the semifinals. Otherwise you're saying the regular season is meaningless.

The real loser may be Jefferson County. They will get a steadily improving Cherokee team that played them within 5 one meeting this year and lost by five at Seymour on Saturday. If they get by them, they will then get either Cocke County or Sevier, who both beat them this year, on three days rest.

Absolutely....

In previous years, the top two seeds have gotten rewarded by a bye - which was an automatic bid to the region tournament.

This year, with an extended conference schedule that comprises nearly 60 percent (14 of 24 games allowed by the TSSAA), the reward is playing on one days rest if you make the semifinals, which is the most important game of the year since the winners receive a home region game.

Some reward there.... Really, with the nearly two-third regular season schedule comprising of conference games, I think they should've went with the staggered bracket that puts the one and twos in the semifinals. Otherwise you're saying the regular season is meaningless.

The real loser may be Jefferson County. They will get a steadily improving Cherokee team that played them within 5 one meeting this year and lost by five at Seymour on Saturday. If they get by them, they will then get either Cocke County or Sevier, who both beat them this year, on three days rest.

I also agree with you guys. This bracket and setup is ridiculous. Next year when the coaches meet to discuss tournament formats, dates, times, etc....they need to take a long, hard look at how district 4 does their bracket (which I think is what SportsWriter is referring to).

But in that format, the bottom four seeds play to face the 3 and 4 seeds in the quarterfinals. Meanwhile, the 1s and 2s get byes all the way to the semifinals.

I agree that the 1 and 2 should be assured a semifinal berth. And if I have it figured right, it doesn't add any time to the schedule...

Monday : Girls 5-8 play

Tuesday - Boys 5-8 play

Wednesday - monday winners vs 3 and 4

Thursday - tuesday winners vs 3 and 4

Friday - Wednesday winners vs 1 and 2

Saturday - Thursday winners vs 1 and 2

Monday - Seeding games

Tuesday - Seeding games.

The only question I have...does the bracket stay solid once it is designed, or does the # 1 seed face the lowest seed left in the semis?

Boys #1 and #2 may have put themselves into a corner with these brackets too.

If the tournament gets pushed back a day due to winter weather, I can imagine that Saturday would turn into semifinal day with four semifinals... a day after the boys #1 and #2 seeds play on Friday night.

PTS - I think they have until the 24th to resolve a winner. So a one day weather delay would not force back to back nights. Girls region starts Friday the 26th, Boys on Saturday the 27th. If the schedule got pushed back a day, then the teams making regions would still have 3 days between the District Finals and the start of Regions.

And usually because the District one area's weather is rougher than ours, a weather delay potentailly causes more problems in District 1 than in District 2.

Looking at District 1's schedule, they are playing the girls on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Monday. Boys are play Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Tuesday. At least there is only a one day difference from quarters to finals...

And, maybe more importantly, the brackets halves are playing on the same night...1, 8, 4 and 5 are playing Monday, 2,3,6,7 are playing Tuesday, so the survivors playing Friday have the same amount of rest.

Absolutely....

I also agree with you guys. This bracket and setup is ridiculous. Next year when the coaches meet to discuss tournament formats, dates, times, etc....they need to take a long, hard look at how district 4 does their bracket (which I think is what SportsWriter is referring to).

But in that format, the bottom four seeds play to face the 3 and 4 seeds in the quarterfinals. Meanwhile, the 1s and 2s get byes all the way to the semifinals.

The reason they got a bye into the semis was that there were only six teams. And if you give 1 & 2 a bye to the semis, how is that fair to the team that had the same record as the number two team. And if 1 or 2 is not good enough to beat our own 8 or 7 teams, what's the point of them getting to the region in the first place?

The reason they got a bye into the semis was that there were only six teams. And if you give 1 & 2 a bye to the semis, how is that fair to the team that had the same record as the number two team. And if 1 or 2 is not good enough to beat our own 8 or 7 teams, what's the point of them getting to the region in the first place?

I have heard this argument before, and my rebuttal question has never been answered....if you are a 7 or 8, you have likely been swept by most of the teams. I say likely, especially the 1 and 2. So what makes the 7 or 8 worthy of another shot to knock off the 1 or 2? I say you make them earn it. District 4's format does this. I keep hearing it is not a fair format. Neither is the current one where the top 2 seeds have NO protection and NO reward for their finish.

We were okay with the two teams getting byes when it was a 6 team league before. District 4 has had 8 or 9 teams in it for years, and they still prefer that bracket. If those coaches agree to it, can it really be that bad? Is it not worth it to at least look into it?