New IMAC

littlerock

But when you struggle with a bad Jeff Co team and lose to MEHS then you are now considered mediocre-looks like Seymour could be #2 in the IMAC what does that tell you?

Well, according to the scoreboard, Sevier County beat Seymour by 14 last night. I'm not certian of remaining games, but I don't think there is a clear favorite for 2nd right now.

Does anyone know how the conf touney will be set up? Will all 8 teams play the first night, or is there a stepping stone effect that guarantees the 1 and 2 seed a spot in regions? I know the KIL districts used to use that style tourney format.

PTS, do you know?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSSAA leaves it up to each district to set up the district tournament. In the Big 8, it is a regular 8 team tournament with no byes. Your reward for finishing first is that you get to play the #8 team. Last year, #2 D-B was upset on their home floor by #7 Sullivan South. I have no idea how the new IMAC is going to do it but I would guess it will be the same. A few years ago, they put byes in for the District 1 tournament and the top teams ended up with a really long layoff and were really rusty when they did finally play. Upsets happen at tournament time, it's the nature of the beast.

The IMAC is playing under the following format in the district tournament: Everybody has to win a game to make the region, and all games will be at Morristown East (no satellite games in first round). District standings are pretty jumbled because few teams have played the same number of district games due to snow. Every team has at least two district losses with the exception of West, who is undefeated. Some teams have played each other twice, while others have not played each other at all yet. As of right now, these would be the seeds.

1. West (7-0)

2. Cocke County (5-2)

3. Jefferson County (5-2)

4. Seymour (4-3)

5. Sevier County (5-4)

6. East (5-5)

7. Cherokee (1-7)

8. South-Doyle (0-9)

#1 v. #8

#4 v. #5

#2 v. #7

#3 v. #6

Then getting the # 2 seed will become vitally important. Cherokee and South Doyle are terrible, so not having to play in the 3-6 group would be a huge advantage.

Saying that, it was only 5 years ago when a 1-23 Cocke County upset Jefferson County to qualify for regions, so nothing is impossible.

Part of me likes this format (all 8 teams playing on opening night) and another part of me says it would be a shame if West was hit with a flu bug, and somehow got upset in the first round, and therefore missed out on the state tourney. I bet they stick with this format until some # 1 team gets beat by an 8 seed, and then they will rework the process.

By the way, anybody from Cherokee wish to discuss whether there is any rumblings about how the team is doing post Coach Price?

The IMAC is playing under the following format in the district tournament: Everybody has to win a game to make the region, and all games will be at Morristown East (no satellite games in first round). District standings are pretty jumbled because few teams have played the same number of district games due to snow. Every team has at least two district losses with the exception of West, who is undefeated. Some teams have played each other twice, while others have not played each other at all yet. As of right now, these would be the seeds.

1. West (7-0)

2. Cocke County (5-2)

3. Jefferson County (5-2)

4. Seymour (4-3)

5. Sevier County (5-4)

6. East (5-5)

7. Cherokee (1-7)

8. South-Doyle (0-9)

#1 v. #8

#4 v. #5

#2 v. #7

#3 v. #6

I think yoiur standings are at least one game off. Jeff County has 3 losses, and I think everyone has played at least 8 games.

You're right on Jeff County now that I look back. My mistake. I may be wrong on some others as well, but I thought those were accurate. I'm the coach at Seymour, so I know we are 4-3. We didn't play Cocke County on a night when everyone else in the district did play, so that game is set for Feb. 9. We haven't played Jeff County or Cherokee yet, but we've played East and Sevier twice each.

Standings (according to CoachT results, and they look like they are accurate):

West 8-0

Cocke 7-2

Jeff 6-3

Seymour 5-3

Sevier County 5-5

East 5-6

Cherokee 1-8

South Doyle 0-10

West remianing games: Cocke 2, Jeff, Seymour, Sevier County (2)

If you count those all as losses, then Cocke, Jeff and Seymour would all be tied, loss wise. Jeff and Seymour have 2 games left, and Cocke County has 1 gane with both Jeff and Seymour. Sevier County(7 losses after West ganes) would be out of contention for 2nd, and East would need a lot of help to get to 2nd. The loss Jeff suffered to Sevier County at home is likely going to haunt them, unless they sweep the ganes with Cocke County and Seymour.

Any word when the Seymour/ Jeff game that was snowed out will be made up?

Cocke County, Ever saw a AAA team held to just 8 points in a Half? Thats what Cocke County did to Sevier County Friday night. Talk about stepping up you defense Depew was great must have had 20 rebounds maybe one of the top three players in State. I know Buda is out but this team certainly rallied without her with some of the best defense I have ever saw in 30 years of watching. Pruitt and Sprouse also really picked thier game up. And who said no ball handlers, Lane and Walker looked just fine handling the ball and the small girl I think her name is Ray came off the Bench and looked like Buda spreading it around and also great defense. New girl to dont rememeber her # maybe 15 havent saw her before but she also came in and gave some quailty minutes. I dont htink this is a one horse race if these girls keep playing like they did Friday. And I hear Buda maybe back in 3 weeks.

Saw that game them girls really turned on the d. Depew girl is best all around player i have ever saw fron East Tn. Even in the JV game the girls looked alot better my neice is playing alot better since they got the new Coach they just got a few girls that need to toughen up and listen to the Coach instead of their parents in bleachers. I think this team is going to State also they are like UT play good against adverse times.

Cocke County, Ever saw a AAA team held to just 8 points in a Half? Thats what Cocke County did to Sevier County Friday night. Talk about stepping up you defense Depew was great must have had 20 rebounds maybe one of the top three players in State. I know Buda is out but this team certainly rallied without her with some of the best defense I have ever saw in 30 years of watching. Pruitt and Sprouse also really picked thier game up. And who said no ball handlers, Lane and Walker looked just fine handling the ball and the small girl I think her name is Ray came off the Bench and looked like Buda spreading it around and also great defense. New girl to dont rememeber her # maybe 15 havent saw her before but she also came in and gave some quality minutes. I dont think this is a one horse race if these girls keep playing like they did Friday. And I hear Buda maybe back in 3 weeks.

I would be careful about putting the cart before the horse. Sevier is not exactly cream of the crop in the conference.

And to answer your question, yes I have seen that done. Morristown West led Cherokee 33-7 at halftime in Rogersville. They led Seymour 26-9 at halftime at Seymour. They held a solid Jefferson County team to 17 points in a game! Shut them out 6-0 in the 4th quarter. They have routinely held their opponents below 20 points in the opening 16 minutes all year.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cocke County's team. Definitely one of the top 5 in Region 1. Depew, Sprouse and Pruitt combine to make a great inside presence. However, they have only seen a team with the speed and athleticism of West once this year, and that didn't turn out well against Mt. Juliet. I will be very interested to see how CCHS' new ball-handlers handle the press that West brings and the constant pressure it comes with.

I also think Depew is a great player, but (arguably) there may be one or two better in the same district, speaking of Goins and Hall.

Just some food for thought to chew on.... ;)

Easttnfan, Depew still best all around player of the three. I not saying Cocke County can win this game without Buda but they are rallying without her. What would West do without one of their two stars Goins or Hall out ? Both good teams sad their in same District. And any team can have a bad day (Mt.Juilet) and I dont think West can beat Mt. Juilet either they are more than likly your State Champs.