Bearden at William Blount

GovMan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on a good game:

* WB's much-maligned defense played a heck of a game. You couldn't have asked much more of the young squad ... they defended a "very short end" of the field the entire second half. What was really encouraging was the play of 3-4 sophomores that really grew up during the game. Got another #43 lb named Cole ... this one is Cole Henry. He might be in the same league as the last Cole!

*Bearden's coaching staff did a great job of adjusting their d at half-time. I believe our inability to get anything going in the second half had a lot to do with the fact that our Coach has had such a limited time to get in his offense. It also had a lot to do with the fact that Bearden had some monsters on the defensive side of the ball ... big, strong, and fast. Each week we see a little more and a little more of what this offense is capable of ... it just kind of caught up with us I think this week that it is still a work in progress.

*Devrin Young lived up to his billing. He is super slick, has great field vision, and incredible speed. I really thought WB did a fairly decent job of containing him, but he's gonna get his at some point I think ... regardless of who the defense is.

*WB kicker Grayson Beeson's long field goal at the end of the first half was either 48 or 49 yards, depending on who you talk to. From the box, the ball was spotted right in the middle of the 38 and 39. Either way, in all my years at WB, I don't remember one any longer. Seems like someone else (maybe the Van Pelt kid) hit a 48 ... but that is unofficial. Anyway, good to have Beeson's leg as a weapon.

*Sorry to end on a negative ... but must mention, the wrenching, sustained, obviously intentional, face mask tackle that the Bearden defensive lineman put on WB's Matt Hassenstaub was one of the more disturbing things I've seen in a high school game--not saying he intentionally grabbed the face mask but after he realized he had it, he obviously was intentional in using it to throw the young man to the turf. It's is hard to believe that all this merritted was a 15 yd penalty. The official was quoted as saying he couldn't eject the offending tackler because he never "threw a punch." It was good to see the Bearden coaching staff take the player out of the game for a few plays, but he did return to the contest later. Hopefully, after watching the film, this young man will learn from this mistake and do better in the future. It was a scary and ugly moment.

The G-men look great, had no breaks and made mistakes that young teams make, It was a great game and they will win more games. Of course, TP should go to school get a degree to teach, LEARN , how to coach and then find a job so he can call the plays for some team. Maybee then he would understand that his input on play calling really matters, your a joke and WB football will never rise with your slander on coachs--They need your support!!!!!! Good job for your support, That gives your kid confidence in his team and coach. Be proud play caller :thumb:

GO G-Men

To Mr Poole I have coached with Coach G and am very familiar with that offense, I can assure you with that offense "if" the middle of the field were open, G would have taken advantage of it. Any coach worth a grain of salt can make an adjustment but the good ones make the adjustment against your weakness as to what you are not good at or they are better at(sounds like what Bearden did). That offense is designed to have pretty simple answers to most adjustments any defense can make, its just that sometimes the other guy may be better there. Do you think that offense has had time to go over every look they are going to get???? Heck at this point I would think the entire coaching staff has done an outstanding job just being able to run the offense with any timing at all! Get behind Gregory and be supportive of the coaching staff, G and his staff will make WB competitive. I will guarantee you the kids are starting to believe. I would imagine some of them read these threads. GO GOVS!!!!! :flower:

This is from an article in the Maryville-Alcoa Daily Times:

Gregory expects William Blount to be back at full strength after widespread illness that closed Blount County Schools late last week prevented dozens of players from practicing.

He's more worried now about the mistakes that led to Friday's loss. Some of those, he said, were his own fault.

"Offensively, we looked good in the first half, and then (Bearden) made some big adjustments at halftime," Gregory said. "I kind of got away from the game plan (in the second half). I think I let them get me away from it. I should have stayed with what we do best. I didn't do a good job there."

I don't know if he was talking about the middle of the field or not, maybe TP is a better observer than some on here think. :flower:

Random observations:

LowKee: I can certainly understand your "defensiveness"of the coaching staff. And I assure you, I'm not going to come on here and try to second guess Coach Gregory, you, or any of the other coaches. But in his defense, that is all that TPoole did ... second guessed. He "slandered" no one as far as I can see in his post. You, on the other hand, called him a "joke" and questioned his support of WB football. I would think you, of all people, would know the amount of time, energy, sweat, and resources he has put into the WB program. If you--or any other coach--wants to "call him" on questioning coaching strategy, that is well within your rights ... but you can do it without "slandering" him I would think.

DrDave: Everytime I read your posts, I feel better and better about our program. You obviously are quite familiar with Coach Gregory--the kind of person he is and what he wants to build in to our young men--I appreciate your strong support of him.

I am impressed with the fact that Coach Gregory is a "buck stops here" kind of coach. His comments after the Bearden game show that he is willing to take the heat, especially if that means drawing it away from the kids and/or other coaches. Dang ... we led the fifth ranked 6A team in the state 10-0 at the half, and despite their good adjustments, still had to "shoot ourselves in the foot" in order for them to take back over the game and eventually win. I'm not a huge fan of moral victories but this certainly could be viewed as one as far as I'm concerned.

Can't wait till Friday night. Jefferson County comes to "the Mike". Very winnable game for the Govs. Should be a great game.

I think the Reb is trying to stir the pot and then set back and smile. dry.gif It was not a shot at TP. Just an opinion. Some will try to divide and conquer, I guess that's what Alcoa did to the Rebs. :D

Actually Dr. Dave, I will never root against the GOVS since I played on their first 3 teams. My kids go to Maryville so I support that program. I usually drag my kids to one non-Maryville WB home game each year.

I Just thought it was a little off base that some other posters were calling TP out like that. I Wasn't addressing you. My comment was very topical and was a quote that was in the local paper. Is the local paper dividing and conquering. Can we not discuss football without blind obedience to the coach and without snarky comments. I think the Tornadoes would.... nevermind I won't stoop to your level.

GO GOVS :lol:

Well...

I seemed to have stirred up a hornets nest. Wasn't my intention but I was extremely frustrated and called it like I saw it. There is alot I don't know but some things I do. I'm sorry if someone thinks I don't fully support this program. I have supported it physically and financially while many just sit and watch and say that something should be done. To all that have addressed me personally. My name and phone# is in the book and if you would like to talk to me give me a call.

I've watched and supported this program closely for the last eight years. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Dr. Dave

In spite of what you may think I've been very impressed with what he's done in such a short time. His team is disciplined. He runs his offense well and I've actually enjoyed this wing / veer hybrid. You are obviously a close aquaintence of his and are defending him. All I said is what I saw with my previously mentioned "limited intelligence" and said "beats the heck out of me" . I sorry if that offends you.

Some other posters told me I basically should shut up. Well I can and will do that if they think that will help this team and program. I'll continue to read so feel free to bash me if you like.

tpoole12

For the last time I'll say

GO GOVS