Best/Worst Stadiums

UpNorth

Just wanted to give this thread a shot. I am from Ohio and get down to Tennessee quite often. I was curious to hear/see what everyones opinion were on the best and worst high school stadiums were down there.

I can say this, I have been to Scott County High School, Oneida High School, York Institute as well as Alcoa. I have not been impressed with any of them.

Scott County has no atmosphere at all within the stadium maybe because they are on again off again with their teams.

Oneida has a nice little stadium and a good fanbase but I believe could use more seating.

York is just terrible. I was there for the Scott-York game and yes I know the state is not being nice with the funding but what about a booster club for the football program?

Alcoa- For as much tradition as this program has why not a nicer stadium? I was not impressed with the bleachers or field at all.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please take this in the spirit that it was intended:

There was a well known Southern writer and humorist named Lewis Grizzard who was born and raised in Moreland Georgia - just West of Atlanta, he attended the University of Georgia, and worked for a long time at the Atlanta Journal Constitution as a writer and editor. He was also a best selling author, writing over a dozen best selling books. Lewis passed away in 1994, but his memory, not to mention his brand of Southern humor and logic still lives on in a big way in the South.

Lewis used to do a bit in his stand up routine about his time as an editor with the Chicago Sun-Times, and his experience in dealing with "yankees", both the northeastern and midwestern "tribes" of yankees.

Grizzard's line was, and I am paraphrasing, but it's pretty close to how he used to say it, was "everybody is welcomed to come to the South. We will get along with you, accept you even thought you aren't from around here, and treat you well. However, the one thing we don't want to hear from you is how you did things back at home. The bottom line is that we don't care. You aren't in Ohio any longer. If you don't like us, our home, and our way of life, Delta is ready when you are and will have you back in Cleveland by sundown".

The point I am making is that you don't go in to somebody else's house and immediately pee on the carpet. This is our house. I mean no offense, but we really don't care how nice you believe the stadiums in Ohio are in comparison with those here. I've been to Ohio many times. My companies home office is in Columbus and I go there quite often. Ohio is no different from Tennessee. There are some very nice high school stadiums, and there are some that aren't so good. It's like that everywhere you go.

We live where we do because we like it. If you don't like our high school stadiums, then don't go to one, but don't tell us how great things are elsewhere. We get around, too. :thumb:

Please take this in the spirit that it was intended:

There was a well known Southern writer and humorist named Lewis Grizzard who was born and raised in Moreland Georgia - just West of Atlanta, he attended the University of Georgia, and worked for a long time at the Atlanta Journal Constitution as a writer and editor. He was also a best selling author, writing over a dozen best selling books. Lewis passed away in 1994, but his memory, not to mention his brand of Southern humor and logic still lives on in a big way in the South.

Lewis used to do a bit in his stand up routine about his time as an editor with the Chicago Sun-Times, and his experience in dealing with "yankees", both the northeastern and midwestern "tribes" of yankees. Well you just shot my quote to s---. Thats OK. I agree with you 100%. For some reason the last several days I been going out of my way to be nice to people on here. Well, i'm going back to my old ways. Stay home you d--- yankee!

Grizzard's line was, and I am paraphrasing, but it's pretty close to how he used to say it, was "everybody is welcomed to come to the South. We will get along with you, accept you even thought you aren't from around here, and treat you well. However, the one thing we don't want to hear from you is how you did things back at home. The bottom line is that we don't care. You aren't in Ohio any longer. If you don't like us, our home, and our way of life, Delta is ready when you are and will have you back in Cleveland by sundown".

The point I am making is that you don't go in to somebody else's house and immediately pee on the carpet. This is our house. I mean no offense, but we really don't care how nice you believe the stadiums in Ohio are in comparison with those here. I've been to Ohio many times. My companies home office is in Columbus and I go there quite often. Ohio is no different from Tennessee. There are some very nice high school stadiums, and there are some that aren't so good. It's like that everywhere you go.

We live where we do because we like it. If you don't like our high school stadiums, then don't go to one, but don't tell us how great things are elsewhere. We get around, too. :thumb:

Just wanted to give this thread a shot. I am from Ohio and get down to Tennessee quite often. I was curious to hear/see what everyones opinion were on the best and worst high school stadiums were down there.

I can say this, I have been to Scott County High School, Oneida High School, York Institute as well as Alcoa. I have not been impressed with any of them.

Scott County has no atmosphere at all within the stadium maybe because they are on again off again with their teams.

Oneida has a nice little stadium and a good fanbase but I believe could use more seating.

York is just terrible. I was there for the Scott-York game and yes I know the state is not being nice with the funding but what about a booster club for the football program?

Alcoa- For as much tradition as this program has why not a nicer stadium? I was not impressed with the bleachers or field at all.

Those are four rather small schools.

I can only speak for the stadiums that I've physically been to (Cookeville, Cumberland County, Cleveland, East Ridge, Bradley Central, Austin-East, Bearden, Carter, Farragut, Fulton, Gibbs, Grace Christian, Hardin Valley, Karns, Knox Catholic, Knox Central, Knox Halls, Powell, South Doyle, TSD, Knox Webb, Knox West, Morristown East/West, Jefferson County, Maryville, Alcoa, Heritage, William Blount, Sevier County, Seymour, Kings Academy, Anderson County, Clinton, Campbell County, Oneida, Union County, Hampton, and Happy Valley). My personal favorites are Sevier County and Anderson County.

McCallie (Chattanooga) and Tennessee High (Bristol) also have excellent stadiums.

Best place to watch a high school football game in Tennessee hands down. Home of the Rhea Co. Golden Eagles.

Home Side:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2hyh0tu.jpg

Away Side:

http://i28.tinypic.com/5v6nvp.jpg

Well, maybe I'm biased. :roflolk:

I love the atmosphere of Maryville. They could use a little more visitor seating though.

Yes we do have a great stadium and a great game day atmosphere to go with it, but besides Rhea Co. Some of my favorite stadiums to visit. Sullivan South, McCallie, Morristown East/West, Baylor, Tennessee High, Sevier Co. and Bradley Central.

Now Maryville the atmosphere is great but the visitor side seating is too small. I'm looking forward to seeing Warren Co. stadium I have heard it is a pretty nice place to play.

I followed the clinton dragons up to Dobyns Bennet last week to watch them play and was very impressed with their stadium, they have a really nice field of turf and their home side is top notch, looks like a small college on that side, the visitors side could use some more seating and improvement. Clinton also has a nice, newly renovated stadium although its a little small its filled full and very loud and features seating on all four sides so it feels like a college or pro stadium, the only place ive seen thats almost as good as DB though would have to be sevier county.

I want to mention McMinn County... Nice place.. Good People...

DB has a beautiful stadium but the visitor side stunk the last time I was there.. They wouldn't put the bleachers on their precious turf. The vistors had to sit at one end of the field.........

For the most part I am not a fan of both teams fans having to sit on the same side but many were built that way to save money... Although Heritage is one of them, it has the best View of any I've seen......................

tpoole12