Best/Worst Stadiums

UpNorth

Alcoa- For as much tradition as this program has why not a nicer stadium? I was not impressed with the bleachers or field at all.

I don't understand this comment?? Alcoa has 545 students and will hold 6000-7000 thousand people in the stands. Its probable one of the biggest stadiums for the size of the school in the whole state. The field is really nice and your about 10 yards from the field. I think its one of the nicest places to watch a game but I'm a little biased. I can't understand what you want from a school this small. Also there was quite a few posters from different schools attend the Alcoa - Maryville game. The ones I talked to enjoyed the atmosphere and the stadium. Maryville has a nice stadium as well but the visitor stands could use an up grade.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the clinton dragons up to Dobyns Bennet last week to watch them play and was very impressed with their stadium, they have a really nice field of turf and their home side is top notch, looks like a small college on that side, the visitors side could use some more seating and improvement. Clinton also has a nice, newly renovated stadium although its a little small its filled full and very loud and features seating on all four sides so it feels like a college or pro stadium, the only place ive seen thats almost as good as DB though would have to be sevier county.

Well put about J Fred in Kingsport.I like the view at Sevier County as well.On up the road from Kingsport is Tennessee High,it is real nice to look at { The Castle }but could allso use some updates in the seating.

I followed the clinton dragons up to Dobyns Bennet last week to watch them play and was very impressed with their stadium, they have a really nice field of turf and their home side is top notch, looks like a small college on that side, the visitors side could use some more seating and improvement. Clinton also has a nice, newly renovated stadium although its a little small its filled full and very loud and features seating on all four sides so it feels like a college or pro stadium, the only place ive seen thats almost as good as DB though would have to be sevier county.

Well put about J Fred in Kingsport.I like the view at Sevier County as well.On up the road from Kingsport is Tennessee High,it is real nice to look at { The Castle }but could allso use some updates in the seating.

I love the Stone Castle but those concrete stands will eat your butt up....obviously had plenty of pea gravel in the mix when they were poured....I would have to mention Burley Field in Greeneville....although since the new turf went down the lights need to be repositioned.

Please take this in the spirit that it was intended:

There was a well known Southern writer and humorist named Lewis Grizzard who was born and raised in Moreland Georgia - just West of Atlanta, he attended the University of Georgia, and worked for a long time at the Atlanta Journal Constitution as a writer and editor. He was also a best selling author, writing over a dozen best selling books. Lewis passed away in 1994, but his memory, not to mention his brand of Southern humor and logic still lives on in a big way in the South.

Lewis used to do a bit in his stand up routine about his time as an editor with the Chicago Sun-Times, and his experience in dealing with "yankees", both the northeastern and midwestern "tribes" of yankees.

Grizzard's line was, and I am paraphrasing, but it's pretty close to how he used to say it, was "everybody is welcomed to come to the South. We will get along with you, accept you even thought you aren't from around here, and treat you well. However, the one thing we don't want to hear from you is how you did things back at home. The bottom line is that we don't care. You aren't in Ohio any longer. If you don't like us, our home, and our way of life, Delta is ready when you are and will have you back in Cleveland by sundown".

The point I am making is that you don't go in to somebody else's house and immediately pee on the carpet. This is our house. I mean no offense, but we really don't care how nice you believe the stadiums in Ohio are in comparison with those here. I've been to Ohio many times. My companies home office is in Columbus and I go there quite often. Ohio is no different from Tennessee. There are some very nice high school stadiums, and there are some that aren't so good. It's like that everywhere you go.

We live where we do because we like it. If you don't like our high school stadiums, then don't go to one, but don't tell us how great things are elsewhere. We get around, too. :thumb:

Yankees are just like a hemorrhoid, if they come down and go back, they are not to bad. But if they come down and stay they are a pain in the butt! :thumb:

Please take this in the spirit that it was intended:

There was a well known Southern writer and humorist named Lewis Grizzard who was born and raised in Moreland Georgia - just West of Atlanta, he attended the University of Georgia, and worked for a long time at the Atlanta Journal Constitution as a writer and editor. He was also a best selling author, writing over a dozen best selling books. Lewis passed away in 1994, but his memory, not to mention his brand of Southern humor and logic still lives on in a big way in the South.

Lewis used to do a bit in his stand up routine about his time as an editor with the Chicago Sun-Times, and his experience in dealing with "yankees", both the northeastern and midwestern "tribes" of yankees.

Grizzard's line was, and I am paraphrasing, but it's pretty close to how he used to say it, was "everybody is welcomed to come to the South. We will get along with you, accept you even thought you aren't from around here, and treat you well. However, the one thing we don't want to hear from you is how you did things back at home. The bottom line is that we don't care. You aren't in Ohio any longer. If you don't like us, our home, and our way of life, Delta is ready when you are and will have you back in Cleveland by sundown".

The point I am making is that you don't go in to somebody else's house and immediately pee on the carpet. This is our house. I mean no offense, but we really don't care how nice you believe the stadiums in Ohio are in comparison with those here. I've been to Ohio many times. My companies home office is in Columbus and I go there quite often. Ohio is no different from Tennessee. There are some very nice high school stadiums, and there are some that aren't so good. It's like that everywhere you go.

We live where we do because we like it. If you don't like our high school stadiums, then don't go to one, but don't tell us how great things are elsewhere. We get around, too. :thumb:

No offense taken because I was not saying how great the Ohio stadiums are or anything....... Just commenting on the ones I have been to for games. Matter of fact not once did I mention how great Ohio high school stadiums were or anything of that nature??

THE WAVE YARD @ GALLATIN IN MIDDLE TENNESSEE HAS APOX 5,000 SEATING CAPACITY ....2500 ON EACH SIDE....MATTER OF FACT THE VISITOR SIDE MAYBE A LITTLE BIGGER THAN THE HOME SIDE...LOCKER ROOMS FOR BOTH TEAMS ON EACH SIDE OF THE STADUIM...AND THE LOCKER ROOMS ARE ONLY USED AS LOCKER ROOMS...

That stadium has alot of tradition and game time atmosphere which is made up of the fans. I think the stadium is OK but wouldn't put it in a best stadium catagory.

Now I will post a couple of pics for you guys to see some of the good ones up here and some of the not so good. Believe me I am not tooting Ohio's horn at all.

This is Huron Tiger Stadium, nice place to watch a game. Lucky for them a huge indoor waterpark resort donated $650,000 to the project and thus a new field for the Tigers.

http://www.hurontigers.com/stadium/2008stadium.JPG

Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium is where Massillon Washington High School plays, but also where 3 Divisions of State Championships are held every year. I have also posted their new indoor practice facility thanks to a deep pocket alumni.

http://doclehman.files.wordpress.com/20 ... tadium.jpg

http://blog.cleveland.com/hs/2008/10/la ... sillon.jpg

Canton Fawcett Stadium. Home to numerous Canton public and parochial schools as well as two small colleges I believe. The other 3 divisions in football state championships are held here just up the road from Massillon. The picture can you fool you though, this place is not fun to watch a game unless its for a state championship.

http://www.gossipcraze.com/_mm/_d/_ext2 ... dium01.jpg

Parma Byers Field - Home to numerous high schools and playoff games. This place is a total dump and I would not be sad one bit to see a bulldozer go right through the place

http://www.internationalssoccer.com/images/byers3.jpg

Steubenville Harding Stadium- Now I have never been to this place but everyone raves about it and from the pictures I can see why. I do know that Steubenville loves their football and has a great tradition.

http://www.hsfootballweb.com/bigredsky.jpg

Sandusky Stroebel Field, Home of the Sandusky Blue Streaks. Very very very old stadium. I could not find a picture of the home side. This place is very outdated but has a ton of history within the walls.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/281 ... da.jpg?v=0

The Pit home to Cincinnati Elder. Never been here but I like the horseshoe shape pretty unique.

http://www.elderphotos.com/albums/ThePi ... 052005.JPG

Martins Ferry Alumni Stadium - Home to the Martins Ferry Purple Riders. This place is probably my all time favorite and I have not even been to the place. I love the setting in the hills of Southern Ohio.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff12 ... fs0042.jpg

These are just a few good ones and bad ones. If you guys have pics please please please share them.

Alcoa- For as much tradition as this program has why not a nicer stadium? I was not impressed with the bleachers or field at all.

I don't understand this comment?? Alcoa has 545 students and will hold 6000-7000 thousand people in the stands. Its probable one of the biggest stadiums for the size of the school in the whole state. The field is really nice and your about 10 yards from the field. I think its one of the nicest places to watch a game but I'm a little biased. I can't understand what you want from a school this small. Also there was quite a few posters from different schools attend the Alcoa - Maryville game. The ones I talked to enjoyed the atmosphere and the stadium. Maryville has a nice stadium as well but the visitor stands could use an up grade.

I was at the game last Friday, and Alcoa's turf looked awesome. It was a really fast track. Even Dane McCoy looked fast running on it. I also like how you can walk down from the top on the home side. Disabled persons get a good seat at Alcoa, with this design.

Well, I havent been to any in east TN, or many in Middle Tn. But in west TN, as far as stadiums go, Martin Westview plays thier games on the UTM Skyhawks Stadium, so it's pretty nice. Hardin County has a really nice place. I am biased, but Henry County has made several renovations/additions that have them moving up such as new bathrooms, renovated consessions stand, new enlarged press box, bleachers in the endzones, playclocks on the each end of the field, new sound system, and last but not least is our new $100,000 score board with video capabilities. As far as the view, I would prefer to sit in the home section of Henry County than I would anywhere else except maybe Martin. Good elevation, not too far from the field. Although our visitor's section desperately needs to be next on the "to do" list. Small and shabby to say the least.

Now if we are talking about atmosphere, there is one and ONLY ONE place that comes to my mind, and that has to be......Orange Mound. Absolutely Incredible. Great people, great food, great time, great games everytime I've been. For those who dont know, thats home to the Melrose Golden Wildcats.

I guess I went in expecting to much when I went there years ago. Not trying to be critical at all just thought it would be more. The high school is gorgeous though when was that built?