Cascade @ South Pitt

FridayMainEvent

South Pittsburg by whatever they want. Jasper was probably the only bump in the road. Unless they play boyd this year. This was a rivalry game do not read much into it either way. I am sure both teams are glad it is over. Cascade have a safe trip.

We do play Boyd!!

Don't assume Central will be a total cake walk. They are 2-0 and could field a lot of players.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say Spread belongs on crackers. If Vic wanted to spring a new offense, why something that is as common as McDonalds. Bring out the old side saddle single wing. That would flip out everyone. :thumb:

I think if Sp would go empty with their QB, and run their QB like a tail back, absolutly, teams would have to pick their poison. They would expand the defense and would be able to run everything they pretty much run, w-out playaction. Vic knows what he has and will do whatever he needs to do to get the most out of the talent he has, he has not forgot how to coach overnight, go to bed wake up tomarrow and go fishing and let him do his job.

I think the biggest thing that hurt the Pirates last night was being over confident. That is dangerous when you play a rivalry game. They will need to step it up and practice hard this week to beat a good Cascade team. Execution will be key on offense. I am not a fan of the spread because it is not a physical offensive attack, but if the coachs believe in it, we need to give it a little more time. The defense is definitely ahead of the offense at this point so hopefully we will get on track in the next couple of games on offense. I expect this week's game to be another good one. We at South Pittsburg welcome the folks from Cascade!

I think the biggest thing that hurt the Pirates last night was being over confident. That is dangerous when you play a rivalry game. They will need to step it up and practice hard this week to beat a good Cascade team. Execution will be key on offense. I am not a fan of the spread because it is not a physical offensive attack, but if the coachs believe in it, we need to give it a little more time. The defense is definitely ahead of the offense at this point so hopefully we will get on track in the next couple of games on offense. I expect this week's game to be another good one. We at South Pittsburg welcome the folks from Cascade!

I'm not a fan of the spread either but I am fortunate enough to know what is supposed to be happening when a play is run and how close we have been to breaking big plays....oh so close...just one block or hitting the hole a yard over....or running the right route...or making the right read...so close. You can't have 1 or 2 or even 3 players going the wrong direction or blocking the wrong man and have the offense work....even a Wing T or a Power I won't work when that happens. Just need more reps.

BTW...JV game at jasper 6 PM Monday...young guys and players that don't start getting some reps

I'm not a fan of the spread either but I am fortunate enough to know what is supposed to be happening when a play is run and how close we have been to breaking big plays....oh so close...just one block or hitting the hole a yard over....or running the right route...or making the right read...so close. You can't have 1 or 2 or even 3 players going the wrong direction or blocking the wrong man and have the offense work....even a Wing T or a Power I won't work when that happens. Just need more reps.

BTW...JV game at jasper 6 PM Monday...young guys and players that don't start getting some reps

You mean there finally going to play a JV game against us. Are you sure it hasn't been canceled lol?

Okay, first of all I hate it that I will miss the SP and Cascade game but I will be relaxing on the beach. I will be back for the Signal game though. Alright, Now I want to talk about the Jasper game. This was the first time I had seen SP since last years Trousdale game and it looked very similar. I think I- formation and wing-t is the formations for the talent we have and I sat next to a living legend coach last night who thought the same thing. Use the spread when needed but as a primary offense it is not very good. There were several times last night that SP could have gotten a first down by running a quick trap play up the middle. That living legend that I sat with last night even said that he needs to have a talk with some offensive coaches and he just may do it. SP's defense is very good and appears to be one of the better defenses SP has had in their history. But, we can't afford to get any more key people hurt. These are my opinions and observations and if the offensive problems are not corrected it will be hard to beat Boyd and Signal for sure and possibly Chatt Central and Polk. I would hate for a good defensive team like SP has lose some games that they shouldn't lose. I hope SP wins Friday but I am concerned with the play of the offense.

Zone, I understand what you are saying....if we could have picked up some blocks or gave Terrell more time last night, the score would have been different. I have confidence in him because he stepped up last year at Tyner and delivered when they shut down the run. I think all us former Pirates are just stuck in the past with the power football...but like you said, it will not work if the boys don't execute. I guess myself remember when we always set up the pass with the run game. Most teams have always lined up defensively against SP and tried to make us beat them with the pass and with the spread we have kind of reversed the role on everyone. Defensively, I don't think SP can play much better than they are now, but against a good, solid team like Cascade, we will have to be more effective on offense. I have heard Cascade has something like 20 seniors on the team??? Can you confirem that?

Zone, I understand what you are saying....if we could have picked up some blocks or gave Terrell more time last night, the score would have been different. I have confidence in him because he stepped up last year at Tyner and delivered when they shut down the run. I think all us former Pirates are just stuck in the past with the power football...but like you said, it will not work if the boys don't execute. I guess myself remember when we always set up the pass with the run game. Most teams have always lined up defensively against SP and tried to make us beat them with the pass and with the spread we have kind of reversed the role on everyone. Defensively, I don't think SP can play much better than they are now, but against a good, solid team like Cascade, we will have to be more effective on offense. I have heard Cascade has something like 20 seniors on the team??? Can you confirem that?

I think the number is more like 15 or 16. We only have 3 juniors and about 19 sophmores. Starting lineups on both sides of the ball are mostly seniors with one junior and a few sophmores sprinkled into the mix. Our starting QB is a sophmore with only 3 starts to his credit. Very talented with a live arm. Still gaining experience, but he should be a special player after a few more starts.

We also are looking very forward to this matchup. After beating our biggest competition in District last night, we are now in the drivers seat so hopefully the kids will continue to play loose. I finally saw the team last night I had expected to see all year. We'll see if we can ride the momentum and provide you guys with some competition Friday.