Macon Co @ Smith Co

glover

I don't know CPA. There are Fr.and Soph. playing more than some Sr.and Jrs..Last night a fr. played 3 quarters at RG. #3 is a soph. that starts. #4 plays a lot as a soph. #8 last night is a fr..That's just a few examples. The 2nd string OL has 3 fr. I personally think ability takes the field before grade. And position is a factor also.I feel like the coaches are of the same feeling. I don't buy the "Maynord doesn't believe .." thing. There was many younger players on the field last night than most realize.

Well, you know the players and classes better than I do, but my point is (and this applied to any team) that the more you can involve the younger players in a game (without giving up a win) and have them feel they are competing for playing time, the more motivated everyone will be to work hard, practice hard, and play hard when they get in. I just find it hard to believe that out of about 40 fresh and soph. on the team, you can't get more playing time for more than 4-5 of them in a 35-14 game.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know CPA. There are Fr.and Soph. playing more than some Sr.and Jrs..Last night a fr. played 3 quarters at RG. #3 is a soph. that starts. #4 plays a lot as a soph. #8 last night is a fr..That's just a few examples. The 2nd string OL has 3 fr. I personally think ability takes the field before grade. And position is a factor also.I feel like the coaches are of the same feeling. I don't buy the "Maynord doesn't believe .." thing. There was many younger players on the field last night than most realize.

Well, you know the players and classes better than I do, but my point is (and this applied to any team) that the more you can involve the younger players in a game (without giving up a win) and have them feel they are competing for playing time, the more motivated everyone will be to work hard, practice hard, and play hard when they get in. I just find it hard to believe that out of about 40 fresh and soph. on the team, you can't get more playing time for more than 4-5 of them in a 35-14 game.

SC has and does play a lot of young players. There were several in the game last night. SC also does a very good job of developing underclassmen. There are at least 7 new starters on each side of the ball this year. The youngest players will get to play in games that aren't close. Every game this year has been pretty close.

Couldn't help but think of your comparative score scenarios last night. Sycamore beat East Lit. 24-20...that's the same Sycamore team that beat Macon 19-18 last week. CPA lost to East Lit. by 1. By comparison...shouldn't Macon be about even with CPA? :shock:

SC has and does play a lot of young players. There were several in the game last night. SC also does a very good job of developing underclassmen. There are at least 7 new starters on each side of the ball this year. The youngest players will get to play in games that aren't close. Every game this year has been pretty close.

Couldn't help but think of your comparative score scenarios last night. Sycamore beat East Lit. 24-20...that's the same Sycamore team that beat Macon 19-18 last week. CPA lost to East Lit. by 1. By comparison...shouldn't Macon be about even with CPA? :shock:

Yes, only looking at those results they should be. As I said last week, check with me after the playoffs about the strength of 8AA. Good luck to SC the rest of the year. Should finish 8-2.

Well, I will say that the Hole looked better than I expected. If you read facebook and all the Gville crying you would think that SC bought 2 choppers to use randomly to dry the field. Having a younger player, I will say that the Owls are playing JV games weekly and the preseason was heavily devoted to the younger kids. With that being said, many young ones are getting to play. The ones that deserve to play are. CPA, you need to realize that out of the 80 about 40 of those are just happy to be wearing black and gold. Football players they are, but getting meaningful reps never. I thought last night that several more players played than usual. We are not world beaters by no means, but the Owls coaching staff does a great job of getting the best out of what they have. I have seen them turn boys into men!!!!!!!! A thriving private school we are not, but a public school with a big heart and hard working kids we are. The owls just may get on a roll, and surprise you. The owls have seemed to be able to be more balanced the last two weeks. Maybe even a little run heavy. Maybe just maybe both will start clicking before long and Owls will be the team that you want them to be. They are what they are, but they are my SC Owls. I am proud of them no matter what. 99% of them are playing their tales off and doing it the right way. I would of said 100%, but boys will be boys and they ain't perfect.

Yes, only looking at those results they should be. As I said last week, check with me after the playoffs about the strength of 8AA. Good luck to SC the rest of the year. Should finish 8-2.

Thanks...and we should. I really don't think either district is going to make much noise this year. CPA and Goodpasture have been Jekyll and Hyde teams also.

Couldn't help but think of your comparative score scenarios last night. Sycamore beat East Lit. 24-20...that's the same Sycamore team that beat Macon 19-18 last week. CPA lost to East Lit. by 1. By comparison...shouldn't Macon be about even with CPA? :popcorneater:

Thanks...and we should. I really don't think either district is going to make much noise this year. CPA and Goodpasture have been Jekyll and Hyde teams also.

I predicted early in the year on CoachT that CPA would really struggle this year, especially against a big line and a good running game. They will always get the most out of their players. Antwan, you should see them - they probably average 190-200 on the line with about 42 healthy players (18 freshmen) and it is incredible that they beat GP and hung with Maplewood. i never would have guessed that.

They lost their first game badly to the 2 time defending Ky. 2A state champs (the best team they have played) and lost the next 2 games because they didn't convert a 2-pt conversion on the last play of the game. A CPA / SC game would be a good one. SC would have to be able to run, I believe, and score 28-30 to win. Maybe they could do it.

GP should be tough the rest of the year. They have a lot of talent, and should win at least 2 playoff games. CPA's loss to East Lit. could cost them the playoffs.

Well, I will say that the Hole looked better than I expected. If you read facebook and all the Gville crying you would think that SC bought 2 choppers to use randomly to dry the field. Having a younger player, I will say that the Owls are playing JV games weekly and the preseason was heavily devoted to the younger kids. With that being said, many young ones are getting to play. The ones that deserve to play are. CPA, you need to realize that out of the 80 about 40 of those are just happy to be wearing black and gold. Football players they are, but getting meaningful reps never. I thought last night that several more players played than usual. We are not world beaters by no means, but the Owls coaching staff does a great job of getting the best out of what they have. I have seen them turn boys into men!!!!!!!! A thriving private school we are not, but a public school with a big heart and hard working kids we are. The owls just may get on a roll, and surprise you. The owls have seemed to be able to be more balanced the last two weeks. Maybe even a little run heavy. Maybe just maybe both will start clicking before long and Owls will be the team that you want them to be. They are what they are, but they are my SC Owls. I am proud of them no matter what. 99% of them are playing their tales off and doing it the right way. I would of said 100%, but boys will be boys and they ain't perfect.

I agree Mafia.....80 dress out. About 40 are or will be players. I've heard Coach Maynord say that SC is a public school....he will not cut anybody. If they try to do what the coaches ask, they will be on the team. Most that are just "on the team" need football a whole lot more than football needs them anyway.

Hey........we didn't buy those choppers???

Couldn't help but think of your comparative score scenarios last night. Sycamore beat East Lit. 24-20...that's the same Sycamore team that beat Macon 19-18 last week. CPA lost to East Lit. by 1. By comparison...shouldn't Macon be about even with CPA? :popcorneater:

I predicted early in the year on CoachT that CPA would really struggle this year, especially against a big line and a good running game. They will always get the most out of their players. Antwan, you should see them - they probably average 190-200 on the line with about 42 healthy players (18 freshmen) and it is incredible that they beat GP and hung with Maplewood. i never would have guessed that.

They lost their first game badly to the 2 time defending Ky. 2A state champs (the best team they have played) and lost the next 2 games because they didn't convert a 2-pt conversion on the last play of the game. A CPA / SC game would be a good one. SC would have to be able to run, I believe, and score 28-30 to win. Maybe they could do it.

GP should be tough the rest of the year. They have a lot of talent, and should win at least 2 playoff games. CPA's loss to East Lit. could cost them the playoffs

I saw most of the Maplewood game. CPA hung in with a much better team. They throw the ball well...and are fundamentally sound...as always.

As for the playoffs...CPA will have to finish higher in the district than East Lit. The loss to them hurts.

I think there will be as many as 9 wild card teams in 3a. I don't think district 14 will have a 3a team to qualify. CPA's over all record will not help either. East Lit. still has some tough district games left...as does CPA.

It's really a moot point to say who would win between SC and CPA. We just very well could see each other in the playoffs. It's too early to tell what the quadrant lines will be. DCA going to DII could move CPA...East Lit...or GP or all 3 eastward. It really will depend on who the wild cards are. It does not appear that many 3a teams west of the river will qualify.

Good post CPA....I think one of the things that affected the pass rush and LB's play was that a lot of inexperienced players on the field a lot. With some of the usual starters being sick all week, they were given a lot of rest because most play both ways.

I thought the fumble was where he reached over the goalline...TD?? Fumble??

Silva....100% effort every play........ Both Johnstons...solid.

In my opinion, the SC staff makes a mistake having about 60 players on the sideline and not utilizing them better to give the younger players some game experience.

Do they not play JV games every week for that?

I have observed that there are a lot of opportunities for SC to build for the future with the young guys and they don't do it. That is why, IMO, they don't show dramatic improvement from year to year.
Obviously you don't know much about SC's past. They make a run in the playoffs EVERY year and have made 2 appearances to the semi-finals and 2 to the quarterfinals in recent years. I think they get the improvement from year to year.
I know they are not all great players yet, and i am not suggesting mass substitution, but when your freshmen and sophomores enter the next season as Soph. and Jr. and they have barely played, you have to redo your team every year, and rely too much on SR's.

Rely too much on seniors? What are you supposed to do with seniors. If any team doesn't rely on seniors in small country high schools with 600 total kids, I want to see it.

One or two injuries to starters and the young guys with little experience get relied on to do something they have never had to do.

That's part of high school football. It happens.

I have heard SC fans make the comment "Maynard just doesn't believe in playing Fresh. and Soph". IMO, that tells these young players that no matter how hard they work, they don't have a chance to play.

Not to be rude, but those fans don't have a clue. The best man plays! It's just that simple.

Now that we got that out of the way. Don't know who you are. By the way it sounds, you might have a relative on the team. Since you are giving out all this advice. I have some for you, take it or leave it. Don't be that guy. Your relative will have his time one day and be on the field when he is deserving I suppose. And if he never sees the field and plays meaningful minutes, well he will have learned a lot just being a part of the SC football team. Regardless, I'm sure he understands the situation better than you. Chill out, it will be ok.

SC will not "out-athlete" any good team on our schedule. We aren't blessed with super athletes this year. In the past, we have been able to use our superior athletes and win games with ease. Now, this year we have blue collar workers that will work their tail off. If the coaches tell them to run thru a brick wall, I guarantee you they will break their neck trying. What we have is what we have. We are blessed to have the type athlete that will take coaching and try their best to apply what they are taught. No, we aren't going to look like some tems of past but you will see 110% effort given by each player. Also, you see improvement in the running game - pre-season was thought not to exist. This shows line blocking has improved. CPA, you guys always have a good competitive team. We appreciate your attendance at some of our games and welcome your criticism, good and bad. Yes, we have many younger players playing and atheltes are on the horizon for SC football. To be 4-1 at this point is good for a team that lost so much last year/injuries hurt us bad also.

Another Homecoming come and gone....Congratulations to the Owls for the victory...Great game Jose...I love you!...Henry...I'm so sorry that you were sick this week and couldn't participate...

THANK YOU SCHS for honoring the alumni before and at the game...it's always a good thing to look back and remember...SCHS football is built on tradition...and it was good to see the "old guys" back on the field...and really good to see #77's jersey...thank you for remembering a great guy...

GO OWLS!!!!

SC will not "out-athlete" any good team on our schedule. We aren't blessed with super athletes this year. In the past, we have been able to use our superior athletes and win games with ease. Now, this year we have blue collar workers that will work their tail off. If the coaches tell them to run thru a brick wall, I guarantee you they will break their neck trying. What we have is what we have. We are blessed to have the type athlete that will take coaching and try their best to apply what they are taught. No, we aren't going to look like some tems of past but you will see 110% effort given by each player. Also, you see improvement in the running game - pre-season was thought not to exist. This shows line blocking has improved. CPA, you guys always have a good competitive team. We appreciate your attendance at some of our games and welcome your criticism, good and bad. Yes, we have many younger players playing and atheltes are on the horizon for SC football. To be 4-1 at this point is good for a team that lost so much last year/injuries hurt us bad also.

#13 is the perfect example of that he had to work his butt off! So is #44!