District 14 A

volfan007

14A is still a strong district, 14A and 7A are the two best districts in the state year in and year out. Lake County was the best team in 14A last year and they are even better this year. Lake County added another good group of freshmen to go with their very young team. TT Flowers was the best player in the district last year and is even better this year. Lake County is one of the best teams in Tennessee.

There are not 8 teams like last year who could win on any night in 14A but the top four teams can play with anybody in the state and in my opinion the top four teams are Lake County, Humboldt, Bradford and Greenfield. (no particular order)

I personally hate to see Gleason move out of our district because they are a quality team and they would make our district stronger. Gleason would be pushed in 14A but in their new district they will beat every team by 20 every night and some teams by 50.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14A is still a strong district, 14A and 7A are the two best districts in the state year in and year out. Lake County was the best team in 14A last year and they are even better this year. Lake County added another good group of freshmen to go with their very young team. TT Flowers was the best player in the district last year and is even better this year. Lake County is one of the best teams in Tennessee.

There are not 8 teams like last year who could win on any night in 14A but the top four teams can play with anybody in the state and in my opinion the top four teams are Lake County, Humboldt, Bradford and Greenfield. (no particular order)

I personally hate to see Gleason move out of our district because they are a quality team and they would make our district stronger. Gleason would be pushed in 14A but in their new district they will beat every team by 20 every night and some teams by 50.

I agree with everything you said..This district is going to be strong again this year..Greenfield and Bradford will be tough games for Lake Co for sure.I know Humboldt had a couple really good players back..the one girl was very quick..wasn't sure how many players they lost..And I'm not sure about Union City..I remember they had one girl that is very good..Believe she was a sophomore last year..Lake Co has thier best shooter back,at least in my opinion in Mariah Matthews..the girl that hit about 5-5 from 3 point range in the state tournament.Along with T.T and Carnation Hart..believe Carnation is coming off knee surgery though..The Phelps girl is back as well as the Mendez girl,who usually came off the bench if Lake Co needed a 3 point shot.. I look for Shamon Pearson,a freshman come in and puch for a starting job..May help on the shooting..When T.T. drives..can kick the ball out to Mariah or Shamon this year.They had 2 girls on the middle school team that I thought were excellent players and were going to be in high school..but found out that they were only 8 graders this year..I believe the girls names are Butler and Yancey..The Butler girl was very good last year..The Yancey girl looks to be a younger version of T.T. or at least speed wise..or at least the few times I saw Lake co middle school last year..I'm glad in a way..Come in as freshmen next year while T.T.,Carnation and Shamon are juniors and a sophomore and keeps the talent level fro dropping off all at once..Going to be some exciting games..

District 14A

1. Lake County - Flowers makes this very athletic, and deep (something Lake County has never really been), team go. However, with a trip to the State Tournament last year also comes a bulls-eye on the back of your jersey. Everyone in 14A will be looking to knock off the Lady Falcons, and in a district where fundamentals, tough defense, and tons of athleticism reign supreme, Lake County's road back to Murfreesboro will not be easy.

2. Greenfield - The Lady Yellowjackets return just about everyone, including do-it-all guard/forward Jordan Galey. Surrounding her is a whole slew of capable, and finally, experienced players who should lead Greenfield back to the top of 14A. They lack the athleticism of some of other teams in this district, but in terms of basketball IQ, most of these girls have it in spades. If everyone stays healthy this year, they should be near the top of this very competitive district.

3. Bradford - This spot is a toss-up between the Lady Red Devils and Humboldt. Wallsmith is back (best player in district along with Flowers of Lake County), as is Combs, who is a solid player in her own right, but they alone cannot carry this team. A strong freshman class will aid new coach Larry Eddings, as he looks to put yet another competitive Bradford bunch on the floor. In my opinion, the play and maturation of the freshman girls will determine how far Bradford goes.

4. Humboldt - Athleticism and an in-your-face, push-you-around attitude will have Humboldt around the top of this district. They are a very unpredictable group, but with Hubbard still there, as well as some other capable guards and high-jumping posts, you can bet that their athleticism and speed will cause problems for everyone else in the district. Underestimating Humboldt (like some did last year) could prove very costly to some teams.

5. Union City - Suiter will have this team in contention for a spot in the top four this year, and one can bet that they will not be an easy win for anyone in the 09 - 10 season. They are not the most talented team in this district, and in all reality, they did lose alot last year in graduating seniors Ross and Strayhorn, as well as losing Ward before the District Tournament. Those three made up the majority of their offensive scoring, so Suiter will have to find someone to take over some of the offensive production. If he can find some offensive production, and have these girls playing as one unit (which they haven't done for a long time), they will find themselves battling for a Region 7A spot.

6. Trenton Peabody - The Lady Golden Tide should challenge Union City, but finishing any higher than 5th in this district would be an acheivement for them. They do have Hudson, who will carry them as far as she possibly can, but they need an inside presence, and someone who is capable of consistently knocking down outside shots. They should really focus on their defensive intensity and schemes, because for them to have any chance in this district, they will need to keep the score of their opponents as low as possible. They just are not capable of putting up high number offensively.

7. South Fulton - South Fulton's biggest problem is that they just don't have the numbers to compete night-in and night-out with the other teams in this district. When you can only field a girls team consisting of 7 to 9 players, none of which are great athletes or basketball super-stars, you will struggle in a district such as this. This group will play hard though, but that just won't be enough, and the score at the end of many of their games will indicate that.

8. Halls - Year-in and year-out, the girls from Halls find themselves at the bottom of this strong district. They have loss around 60 games in a row (their last victory came in January of 2007), which may be the most of any team in Class A (it is definitely top 3).

District 14A

1. Lake County - Flowers makes this very athletic, and deep (something Lake County has never really been), team go. However, with a trip to the State Tournamnet last year also comes a bulls-eye on the back of your jersey. Everyone in 14A will be looking to knock off the Lady Falcons, and in a district where fundamentals, tough defense, and tons of athleticism reign supreme, Lake County's road back to Murfreesboro will not be easy.

2. Greenfield - The Lady Yellowjackets return just about everyone, including do-it-all guard/forward Jordan Galey. Surrounding her is a whole slew of capable, and finally, experienced players who should lead Greenfield back to the top of 14A. They lack the athleticism of some of other teams in this district, but in terms of basketball IQ, most of these girls have it in spades. If everyone stays healthy this year, they should be near the top of this very competitive district.

3. Bradford - This spot is a toss-up between the Lady Red Devils and Humboldt. Wallsmith is back (best player in district along with Flowers of Lake County), as is Combs, who is a solid player in her own right, but they alone cannot carry this team. A strong freshman class will aid new coach Larry Eddings, as he looks to put yet another competitive Bradford bunch on the floor. In my opinion, the play and maturation of the freshman girls will determine how far Bradford goes.

4. Humboldt - Athleticism and an in your face, push-you-around attitude will have Humboldt around the top of this district. They are a very unpredictable group, but with Hubbard still there, as well as some other capable guards and high-jumping posts, you can bet that their athleticism and speed will cause problems for everyone else in the district. Underestimating Humboldt (like some did last year) could prove very costly to some teams.

5. Union City - Suiter will have this team in contention for a spot in the top four this year, and one can bet that they will not be an easy win for anyone in the 09 - 10 season. They are not the most talented team in this district, and in all reality, they did lose alot last year in graduating seniors Ross and Strayhorn, as well as losing Ward before the District Tournament. Those three made up the majority of their offensive scoring, so Suiter will have to find someone to take over some of the offensive production. If he can find some offensive production, and have these girls playing as one unit (which they haven't done for a long time), they will find themselves battling for a Region 7A spot.

6. Trenton Peabody - The Lady Golden Tide should challenge Union City, but finishing any higher than 5th in this district would be an acheivement for them. They do have Hudson, who will carry them as far as she possibly can, but they need an inside presence, and someone who is capable of consistently knocking down outside shots. They should really focus on their defensive intensity and schemes, because for them to have any chance in this district, they will need to keep the score of their opponents as low as possible. They just are not capable of putting up high number offensively.

7. South Fulton - South Fulton's biggest problem is that they just don't have the numbers to compete night-in and night-out with the other teams in this district. When you can only field a girls team consisting of 7 to 9 players, none of which are great athletes or basketball super-stars, you will struggle in a district such as this. This group will play hard though, but that just won't be enough, and the score at the end of many of their games will indicate that.

8. Halls - Year-in and year-out, the girls from Halls find themselves at the bottom of this strong district. They have loss around 60 games in a row (their last victory came in January of 2007), which may be the most of any team in Class A (it is definitely top 3).

Pt.Guard..Looks like you've done your homework again..Looks like an excellent post and I agree about Lake Co..Teams will be gunning for them and Greenfield and Bradford will be tough games..But..just based on what I knew..pretty well had the teams about like you have..Wasn't sure about Union City and Humboldt..Knew Trenton had Lorna Hudson back and she gives everything she has..just not going to be enough by herself basically..But..good post.!

but the question is who can stop TT flowers...and those lady falcons :roflol:

STREET FROM BRADFORD IS AS FAST AS ANYONE IN 14A

I dont think she can stop TT, it will take more than being fast. I would love to see a one on one matchup with Wallsmith and TT, TT will win that matchup most of the time. In fact I'd love to see TT and Butler go at it. I'm not comparing TT and Butler just yet but remember TT was a freshman last year, won region MVP and carried her team on her back to the state tournament.

Stopping TT will be a challenge for every team every night.

My question is.... Has TT developed a left hand dribble yet? Stopping TT isn't as hard as it sounds unless she has developed the capability to dribble with her left hand. As of the end of last year, she dribbled right handed continuously and never left handed. Don't get me wrong, she's a great player and an amazing athlete. I just know that in order to be an elite player, you need to be able to dribble with your left hand. At this point in time, Butler would dominate TT. Butler is just as quick and is more fundamental.

I dont know why you have a hard time giving TT credit. And yes, she can dribble with her left hand. If TT had played for Gibson County then you would have a much different opinion of her.

And my point is TT would have dominated Heather as a freshman. There's no question who was a bigger impact player as a freshman. Lets compare apples and apples, not a Freshman and a Junior.

Heather has developed into a Division 1 player but she wasnt one as a Freshman. And TT will have to improve her game to be a Division 1 player but she has three more years to work on it.

I believe Gibson Co had a heralded freshman last year also.Maybe let T.T. go against her..Doesn't matter Greenfield..A lot of people didn't or haven't given T.T.any credit..Scored about 21 points in her only state tournament appearance but wasnt good enough to make the Sportswiters all state team..didnt even have her in the top 15 in Single A..And some of those were freshmen and about 3 were on a 4th plave team..That's the ones that should be ashamed..We know there's things T.T. needs to work on..I know she's the fastest player I saw last year..I don't think Street can stay with her one one one..Molly is a good player and ,has a lot of basketball knowledge and savvy..she would do ok but once T.T. decided to go around her..would get in foul trouble.T.T. needs to learn on some of her drives to pull up and pass or take the little jumper and not pick up a charge..I'm hoping with Shamon and Mariah Matthews shooting from the outside ..will give Lake Co and inside -outside presence..And with Carnation hopefully improved..Another thing is her outside shot..If she gets to be a better shooter.or could shoot like Molly..be hard for Single A teams to play her 1 on 1 with her speed.

If you read my post, you'd see where I said TT is a great player and an amazing athlete! I saw TT 3 times last year and never once saw her continuously use her left hand if she needed to and that was against competitive teams for Lake Co. last year. She went with her right hand almost every time in all 3 games. I'm not the only one who has seen it. She's a great player like I said! She can score, there's no doubt about it. She may have developed that left hand over the summer, which will make her just that much more tough to guard. TT will definately wind up D1 barring any injuries! Good luck to her throughout her HS career!

As for GC's Freshman from last year... Her name is Courtney Haynes. She is every bit as quick as Jeniqua Jennings that played for GC last year. Courtney was the second best shooter for GC last year behind Butler. Haynes shot 7-11 from 3 pt. range against a solid Henry Co. team last year in her first game as a Freshman. No, I'm not saying she's better than TT, bigster just mentioned her and I through in my 2 cents.