BGA at MBA

BGAballer

I'm not surprised that you're having difficulty not cursing, since your post suggests you aren't articulate enough to comment sensibly.

Following your logic, the Div 1 A, AA, and several of the AAA champiosnhips should be played midweek, and the top level Div II championship should be a Friday night game. I realize it's a burden to have to deal in facts, but the TSSAA's figures for those classifications don't bear out your prejudice. Whole towns aren't turning out for those games. Or alternatively, since they're on different weekends, why don't we try to see to it that both the Div I and Div II games are as well attended as possible (i.e., Friday night or Saturday games), since, as you say, it's all about money?

And looking to common sense (bad idea on my part, but try to follow, I'm using mostly one and two syllable words)...you're not going to get a really good crowd in middle Tennessee on a week-night if you have teams who have to travel. It's an inconvenience for the Nashville area teams, but for the Memphis teams it's even worse. And i suspect Cookeville will be less appealing, as it's really no closer for anybody.

Burn :flower: lol

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see that game, which I'm told has been moved from the vacant field behind the Triune first Baptist Church to the Lower Algood Elementary School playground, as the latter site is considered more inaccessible.

That is the first thing I read this morning because we didn't get the paper for some reason and I just died laughing. What is the excuse for sticking what is essentially the best game in the state of Tennessee every year on a Thursday? I've never heard of the reasoning.

It started last season when the Div II games were played midweek due to an MTSU homegame. If it continues through next year, I think you'd have to say that it's simply done to marginalize the Div II schools even further. "Big Red Big Blue" I beleive threw out the idea of doing away with the playoffs, since in a league this size they're all rematches, and it's such a small league to begin with. His idea was to crown a regular season champion and play a big rivalry game on Thanksgiving.

I suppose that for the other sports, it makes sense to stay within the TSSAA, but you have to question what exactly Div II is getting from the TSSAA in terms of football.

Would Div II schools still be able to schedule regular season games vs. Div I schools if it exits the TSSAA? If so, I am all for leaving.

Great win for BGA last night! Coach Johnson said he had never been more proud of a team as he was last night. I think MBA thought this would be an easy win and was not ready to play. They made a nice run in the second half but the two fumbles killed them. It would be great to see BGA win 2 of next 3 to finish .500. Considering the number of freshmen and sophs playing key roles (5 fresh/sophs started on defense the 2nd half), the future looks bright.

Would Div II schools still be able to schedule regular season games vs. Div I schools if it exits the TSSAA? If so, I am all for leaving.

I don't have a definitive answer, but I would guess so. TSSAA schools play non-TSSAA routinely in out of state games. MBA has left the TSSAA previously and to the best of my knowledge continued playing TSSAA member schools. Other states have complete splits, but I'm not really sure how they do it.

Of course, I suspect the TSSAA would take as vindictive a stance as at all possible, so I wouldn't count on inter-association competition. Since there's no really good justification, I could also see litigation if the TSSAA tried to prohibit such games. It would be messy, but I can't see it as being any worse than the current situation.

Great win for BGA last night! Coach Johnson said he had never been more proud of a team as he was last night. I think MBA thought this would be an easy win and was not ready to play. They made a nice run in the second half but the two fumbles killed them. It would be great to see BGA win 2 of next 3 to finish .500. Considering the number of freshmen and sophs playing key roles (5 fresh/sophs started on defense the 2nd half), the future looks bright.

I would disagree with the statement that MBA thought that this would be an easy win. Nothing has come easy for MBA this year, and they're acutely aware of how many points they're giving up. In a nutshell, the defense is just not very good. This means that the offense has to be perfect or nearly perfect. Two red-zone fumbles will cost MBA any chance of a win in any game this year.

Simply put, BGA forced MBA's offense into a less than perfect game, and that translates to a loss.

Best game in the state........I'm trying so hard not to cuss. Whine, whine, whine, and more whine. What is it that you two don't understand about numbers? Whole towns turn out for public school games and that doesn't happen in Division II. Money and numbers. Handle it.

I just thought I'd throw this out there, but this is the second time you have dipped into the DII boards and seemed like an (insert whatever clever explitive you would like here). But it's really great to have you back here champ; can't wait to see what you have to contribute.

Speaking for MUS supporters, we are disappointed with the Thursday night venue and location. Having lived in Nashville for 12 years, I know that it's really not that much further to Cookeville, but a lot of us exhausted ourselves on Tuesday last year because or work responsibilities. The almost 600 miles RT to Cookeville is too much, especially since many, like myself, might have to traverse Nashville during rush hour. If they ever finish I-840, that would help. At least with a Thursday night game, we could simply take Friday off and maybe stay for Preds-Wild and/or Vandy-DePaul on Saturday. That's something I might do.

KWoodroof - I too laughed heartily over your "Triune" and "Allgood" comment. By the way, did you watch the Aquinas-Byrnes game? If so, let me know if you saw the uncalled "face mask" on Lattimore's 2nd fumble with a little more than 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. In real time, something seemed unusual. Then on the first replay, from the same sideline camera, I noticed what was unusual was that right before the ball came out, Lattimore's head spun around so that we were seeing the BACK of his helmet rather than the side. Sure enough, one end-zone camera showed the Aquinas defender to his right reach around the blocker and grab Lattimore's face mask. Lattimore reached up with his free (left) hand and grabbed the defender's forearm, trying to pull it away. That's when he was hit from behind and coughed up the ball. This all happened very fast. I watched it in SLOMO to be sure. A game changer for sure, since rather than having the ball 1st down on the 20 and likely scoring, Aquinas has the ball on the other end and DOES score - a 14 point swing. This could be seen ONLY from one end zone camera, which is why nobody on the sidelines saw it. I would have hoped that at least one ref was in position to see it and call it. Do you know if there has been anything in the media about it? I'm going to check out the SC press.

A big win for BGA. Did ANYBODY actually pick them to win???

As far as Blue Cross Bowl attendance, if the weather were nice, I would bet that many football fans NOT affiliated with MUS and Ensworth would show up (if they meet, which seems all but certain). Two nationally ranked teams teams in Tennessee is so rare, much less playing each other. But I'm afraid that bad weather, such as rain or cold (not at all uncommon in Cookeville in December), especially at night, could lower attendance.

I don't have a definitive answer, but I would guess so. TSSAA schools play non-TSSAA routinely in out of state games. MBA has left the TSSAA previously and to the best of my knowledge continued playing TSSAA member schools. Other states have complete splits, but I'm not really sure how they do it.

Of course, I suspect the TSSAA would take as vindictive a stance as at all possible, so I wouldn't count on inter-association competition. Since there's no really good justification, I could also see litigation if the TSSAA tried to prohibit such games. It would be messy, but I can't see it as being any worse than the current situation.

Woolsworth, I know you are in a bad mood because of the loss MBA took to a less than great BGA team but you will have to suck it up. Why don't you and little a.p. battleax use your vast influence and have the Division II schools get out of the TSSAA now. It is hard to read about grown men, or as in the in the case of little a and p, almost grown men cry.

Best game in the state........I'm trying so hard not to cuss. Whine, whine, whine, and more whine. What is it that you two don't understand about numbers? Whole towns turn out for public school games and that doesn't happen in Division II. Money and numbers. Handle it.

I just thought I'd throw this out there, but this is the second time you have dipped into the DII boards and seemed like an (insert whatever clever explitive you would like here). But it's really great to have you back here champ; can't wait to see what you have to contribute.

Hey old get in the game when they are won and done. These are not my words but the words of someone who played with you or against you when you were playing. How's it going? Good to hear from you and thanks for you kind invite to participate in this lofty section of coach t. Congradulatons on BGA beating MBA Friday night.

Woolsworth, I know you are in a bad mood because of the loss MBA took to a less than great BGA team but you will have to suck it up. Why don't you and little a.p. battleax use your vast influence and have the Division II schools get out of the TSSAA now. It is hard to read about grown men, or as in the in the case of little a and p, almost grown men cry.

Well I have to admit, you have added a little wit to your comments this time around. Congrats on taking that Intro to Writing class in community college since the last time we saw you. It's done you well. And KW has not once complained or whined about the loss. If anything, he has been 100% unbiased about MBA and has always given equal time to both the positives and negatives of the team as well as the school. Anyone involved with a DII school is sick of how the TSSAA has treated these schools over the past 10+ years, so that is an attitude you will find runs consistently on this part of the board.

Hey old get in the game when they are won and done. These are not my words but the words of someone who played with you or against you when you were playing. How's it going? Good to hear from you and thanks for you kind invite to participate in this lofty section of coach t. Congradulatons on BGA beating MBA Friday night.

And oh dear, we have addressed this subject. I started in three games my sophomore year at NT, missed one to injury, and in the other six, I was the first LB and D-O lineman off the bench. My junior year, I started week zero at Guard and then missed the last nine games due to the same injury as previously mentioned. My Senior year I started the last three games at LB, missed one again due to that cute little broken back that I have had since Sophomore year, and then rolled in the entire game the other seven at O-D Line. I never made all-region anything, but I got to play for and with some of the best coaches and players in the state while I was at BGA, and always did what they asked of me (eh at least at LB, I sucked badly against Briarcrest on offense). And yes, I played with whoever it was that said that, but as I said before, he, as well as you, get to hide behind some bushleague name and say whatever you like. I decided to take some measure of responsibility for what I say on here, which I hope adds a little poignancy to my comments, as I loved being able to play for BGA and against the best competition and in some of the best environments in the state.

On to whatever God forsaken point you are trying to make...The last game of the college and pro seasons are games between the two best teams. Well here in Tennessee, the two best teams hands down in the state are being boned by having to play on a Thursday night. We simply were discussing what the reasoning behind this is. No whining. No going over to the 6A board saying that Oakland and Riverdale suck. A few people who have ties to the one or more of the twelve teams that comprise the best conference in the state were simply curious as to why the TSSAA would essentially hide their best product.

Seriously, get over this little fetish you have of having to show us the light. You seem like a sad little man without much going for you. I'm 19 and in college, and in the free time I have between parties and class, I get to jump on here for a bit and talk about something I am passionate about, all while getting a rise out of some exceptionally enlightened and educated boys like you. Cherrio chap and I look forward to your response :wacko: xoxo <3 <3

Where do you get that I'm in a bad mood? I'm disappointed for an MBA loss, but it doesn't have any sort of adverse effect on my day. I'm delighted to get the chance to watch them play, and they've done nothing to embarrass me. They're just not a particularly good football team right now. Put another way, watching a bad MBA game on a tiny screen on the internet is still an enjoyable way to spend a Friday evening, and better than almost anything else, except sitting out at MBA with men I've known since I was a 12 year old. Though I'm not fond of the rug.

I'm also not sure where you get "crying." Yes, we feel wronged that we were consigned to the pariah division despite the fact that no one has ever proven that we've violated any rules. We're forced to travel more than other schools, and then we get stuck with a mid-week night for our champiosnhip, despite the fact that the TSSAA's own figures show that our championship is as well or better attended tanh the Div I A, AA, and AAA games. Given that that the size of our division means we play one less playoff game, there's no reason that our championships, one week prior to the Div I championship, can't be played on a Fri. or Sat., which would be more convenient for our supporters, and bring in more money to the TSSAA.

So with all that, your comeback is nothing more than ad hominems (that means name-calling). Frankly, I'd have been more impressed if you'd replied with something a bit wittier and more intellectual, like "Oh yeah!"

I hope your son's team is having a good season. We have no animosity towards you or the schools you hold dear. Speaking just for me, I don't understand why you have so much for us and ours.