BGA at MBA

BGAballer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was obvious that BGA came out on the field mentally more ready for this game. After a shocking sack-fumble-recovery for MBA on the first play of the game, BGA systematically ran through and passed through a more than a step too slow MBA defense.

Injuries are part of the game, but the loss of Colbert is proving to be crippling for MBA. For a young man that had just two starts under his belt, who will ever know how good he would have turned out this year. It certainly is a tough spot for the junior East. He looks completely out of sorts. It doesn't help that his foot speed leaves him running for his life on most pass plays. The MBA offense has become extremely limited and predictable.

I know that the Lassing kid is beat up, but I remain amazed that they wait so long in a game to begin to use him. You would think his bruising style would be an essential ingredient to wearing down a defense. He carries the ball 2 times in the first half. Interesting that those two carries would also equal MBA's total number of first downs. They come out in the second half and hand the ball the majority of times to Lassing and guess what - a perfectly executed TD possession. Plus his carries made the path easier for the other backs.

The two red zone fumbles looked like a poor handoff to Lassing and then just an inexperienced sophomore error. They had their chances but give BGA a lot of credit. They slowly tortured the MBA defense both by air and ground. Most of MBA's stops were assisted by penalties or turnovers. It could have been worse. I really enjoyed watching the BGA sophomore quarterback - very impressive. He has a great arm. Their tailback is also extremely quick. Looks like there are good times ahead for BGA football.

For MBA, there are a lot of tough questions to answer. Bad scheme or just a lack of talent? Do they work with East and hopes he goes the way Spencer Wise did? Or move to an even younger quarterback? The Simonis kid apparently was unstoppable as a freshman quarterback. The coaching staff obviously understand their limitations offensively and that's why they needed to resort to an onsides kick (failed), a fake punt (failed) and numerous 4th down attempts (all failed). On defense, when you can't stop either the run or the pass, what do you do? Tough times on the hill for sure. Perhaps adversity will pull them together.

It was obvious that BGA came out on the field mentally more ready for this game. After a shocking sack-fumble-recovery for MBA on the first play of the game, BGA systematically ran through and passed through a more than a step too slow MBA defense.

Injuries are part of the game, but the loss of Colbert is proving to be crippling for MBA. For a young man that had just two starts under his belt, who will ever know how good he would have turned out this year. It certainly is a tough spot for the junior East. He looks completely out of sorts out there. The MBA offense has become extremely limited.

I know that the Lassing kid is beat up, but I remain amazed that they wait so long in a game to begin to use him. You would think his bruising style would be an essential ingredient to wearing down a defense. He carries the ball 2 times in the first half. Interesting that those two carries would also equal MBA's total number of first downs in the half. They come out in the second half and hand the ball the majority of times to Lassing and guess what - a perfectly executed TD possession. Plus his carries made the path easier for the other backs.

The two red zone fumbles looked like a poor handoff to Lassing and then just an inexperienced sophomore error. They had their chances but give BGA a lot of credit. They slowly tortured the MBA defense. Most of MBA's stops were assisted by penalties or turnovers. It could have been worse. I really enjoyed watching the sophomore quarterback - very impressive. He has a great arm. Their tailback is also extremely quick. Looks like there are good times ahead for BGA football.

For MBA, there are a lot of tough questions to answer. Bad scheme or just a lack of talent? Do they work with East and hopes he goes the way Spencer Wise did? Or move to an even younger quarterback? The Simonis kid apparently was unstoppable as a freshman quarterback. Tough times on the hill for sure. Perhaps adversity will pull them together.

You make some good points. This MBA team is not especially strong in terms of talent, and two key injuries didn't help at all. That said, MBA's defense was porous before Griscom's injury, and while they'd certainly be better with an experienced QB and team leader at the helm, I don't think East has lost them any games. He's been a pretty serviceable replacement, given the fact that he started a JV game the Monday before he came in against Ensworth.

What it seems to boil down to here is that MBA's offense has to execute well enough to compensate for a defense that will most assuredly give up points. MBA's great teams have not necessarily won on talent, but they have always executed well, and limited mistakes, while forcing an opponent to eat his mistakes. When they're on form, it works well (Maplewood, Baylor, McCallie). When it doesn't, the results are ugly (BGA).

I'm not sure I'd agree witht he characterization "tough times." I've followed MBA football for a lot of years, and it's a lot like the economy in a three year cycle. Generally speaking you see a pretty good team that's heavy on talented juniors, followed by an outstanding team with a lot of seniors, followed by a team that has a wide mix, but is mostly sophomore and junior dominated, and they have a rough season. I think we've been a little spoiled over the last few years because we've skipped that dip. Rutledge's last year was painful, and probably wasn't going to be a great year anyway, but the number of injuries was catastrophic. You had to go back to the '75 team to find an injury situation anything like that.

The play-offs will be interesting. I see very little difference between MBA, McCallie, Baylor, and BGA (based on watching them play MBA-statistically we'd call that a small sample). I'm not sure what to make of Ryan, and I'd much rather this MBA team play them at home rather than over there. Losing a rivalry game there will be something like Dante's third ring, because you're going to stuck there for a while as they clear traffic. BA is also an unknown quantity (for me) and seems a bit inconsistent this year.

I think everybody's playing for 3rd place except Ensworth and MUS. Ensworth is the best team I've seen this year (While I haven't seen MUS this season, I've seen Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and the Titans. I stick by my assessment). I'd love to see that game, which I'm told has been moved from the vacant field behind the Triune first Baptist Church to the Lower Algood Elementary School playground, as the latter site is considered more inaccessible.

I'd love to see that game, which I'm told has been moved from the vacant field behind the Triune first Baptist Church to the Lower Algood Elementary School playground, as the latter site is considered more inaccessible.

That is the first thing I read this morning because we didn't get the paper for some reason and I just died laughing. What is the excuse for sticking what is essentially the best game in the state of Tennessee every year on a Thursday? I've never heard of the reasoning.

I'd love to see that game, which I'm told has been moved from the vacant field behind the Triune first Baptist Church to the Lower Algood Elementary School playground, as the latter site is considered more inaccessible.

That is the first thing I read this morning because we didn't get the paper for some reason and I just died laughing. What is the excuse for sticking what is essentially the best game in the state of Tennessee every year on a Thursday? I've never heard of the reasoning.

It started last season when the Div II games were played midweek due to an MTSU homegame. If it continues through next year, I think you'd have to say that it's simply done to marginalize the Div II schools even further. "Big Red Big Blue" I beleive threw out the idea of doing away with the playoffs, since in a league this size they're all rematches, and it's such a small league to begin with. His idea was to crown a regular season champion and play a big rivalry game on Thanksgiving.

I suppose that for the other sports, it makes sense to stay within the TSSAA, but you have to question what exactly Div II is getting from the TSSAA in terms of football.

It started last season when the Div II games were played midweek due to an MTSU homegame. If it continues through next year, I think you'd have to say that it's simply done to marginalize the Div II schools even further. "Big Red Big Blue" I beleive threw out the idea of doing away with the playoffs, since in a league this size they're all rematches, and it's such a small league to begin with. His idea was to crown a regular season champion and play a big rivalry game on Thanksgiving.

I suppose that for the other sports, it makes sense to stay within the TSSAA, but you have to question what exactly Div II is getting from the TSSAA in terms of football.

I understand the concept of not having the playoffs, but I think it is vital to the whole nature of high school football. And seeing as there is no real reason to place that game on a weekday, I have to agree it is an attempt to relegate DII to a secondary status. I mean, it really wouldn't be difficult to put the DII championships on the same weekend as DI (1A, 2A, and A on Friday; 3A, 4A, 5A on Saturday; AA, and 6A on Sunday) ans to have ALL OF THEM on T.V. It is sickening that the programs that have kept Tennessee nationally legitimate are discriminated against.

Best game in the state........I'm trying so hard not to cuss. Whine, whine, whine, and more whine. What is it that you two don't understand about numbers? Whole towns turn out for public school games and that doesn't happen in Division II. Money and numbers. Handle it.

Best game in the state........I'm trying so hard not to cuss. Whine, whine, whine, and more whine. What is it that you two don't understand about numbers? Whole towns turn out for public school games and that doesn't happen in Division II. Money and numbers. Handle it.

Well the DII-AA championship game well usually pit the two best teams in the state against each other (or at least the best and then a top 10 team). So if you want the best representation of Tennessee high school football, the PRIVATE SCHOOL Super Prep Conference Championship is just that.

Now on the issue of attendance...yes, all of Lincoln and Trousdale Counties, and South Pittsburgh come out to cheer on their teams. But in most towns, there are multiple schools. Just in Franklin, there is Franklin, Page, Centennial, and BGA. Now, BGA has only 400 students, but easily had more than 3000 people a game last year. So if you go on enrollment to attendance ratio, DII takes the win on this one. So in the regular season, outside of those handfull of small town big schools, the attendance is probably equal from DI to DII. Now, in the state championship, your arguement loses all steam. The two teams are usually from different parts of the state. Obviously, when a team has to make the treck arcoss the state, be it from Memphis, Knoxville, or Chattanooga, not everyone can go. So the state championship, regardless of it is DI or DII, will not have the same attendance as a regular season/play-off game.

So yea, puting what this year will be a game between two of the top 25 teams in the nation on a Thursday is not based on money or logic or anything legit. It is a blatant jab at DII.

Oh and EHS beat Oakland and the only two teams White Station has lost to, are (drum roll please) MUS and CBHS!!! Go DII :flower:

I'm not surprised that you're having difficulty not cursing, since your post suggests you aren't articulate enough to comment sensibly.

Following your logic, the Div 1 A, AA, and several of the AAA champiosnhips should be played midweek, and the top level Div II championship should be a Friday night game. I realize it's a burden to have to deal in facts, but the TSSAA's figures for those classifications don't bear out your prejudice. Whole towns aren't turning out for those games. Or alternatively, since they're on different weekends, why don't we try to see to it that both the Div I and Div II games are as well attended as possible (i.e., Friday night or Saturday games), since, as you say, it's all about money?

And looking to common sense (bad idea on my part, but try to follow, I'm using mostly one and two syllable words)...you're not going to get a really good crowd in middle Tennessee on a week-night if you have teams who have to travel. It's an inconvenience for the Nashville area teams, but for the Memphis teams it's even worse. And i suspect Cookeville will be less appealing, as it's really no closer for anybody.