Big Games in Memphis ... Week 7

kwc

I have too. You must have been watching a different team than I was. But just keep doubting them. It's worked for them for the first 7 games of the season. And it's getting old hearing about how they haven't played anybody. Yeah, they played some cupcakes, but everyone has. Bolton is a good team and it's not exactly their fault that Bartlett and Collierville fell off the side of the earth. Do you also want to tell me that the jury is still out on Craigmont after beating Briarcrest?

No Doubt Craigmont gets the automatic qualifier for 5A in District 14 but my question for you is how do you think they will do against the other Good 5A teams in the city when playoffs start. I would imagine that East, Melrose and possibly Mitchell would all get in as qualifiers or wildcards? Do they have a chance to make a run and get out of West TN. Are there any other 5A teams that would be in their POD that would have a chance other than who i have already mentioned. I guessing District 13 or District 15 have no real contenders?????

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the very reason. Rain will make a team one-dimensional. Cordova "D" is pretty good against the run. And those rushing yards were gained when mixed in with a leathal passing game. Take that away and Cordova can focus on stopping the run. Plus a sloppy field will even hinder the running game.

Not to mention what a wet football will do to the turnover stats!

The Cordova I saw was one that struggled against the run, and that was in the rain. They key is to get outside of them or trap them. Running straight at them will not get it done.

Gochiefs and doug,

The cordova I saw I thought did a good job against Millington's run, at least until they started wearing down in the 4th quarter. Yes, I know millington forced all those turnovers, but without them it would have been a much closer game. Three of the turnovers gave millington the ball deep in cordova territory and directly lead to td's. That is 21 points right there. Remember that it was going to be 7-0 at the half without that late turnover with like a minute and a half left in the half. Gave millington the ball on like the 10 yard line and millington was able to punch it in for the 14-0 halftime lead.

Doug, think back. How many 10+ yard runs can you remember?

Cordova is big up front and I give them more credit than you guys I guess....

talking about turnovers... well we can go back to the CBHS game.... We had 4 fumbles which 2 were inside Millingtons 10 yard line.... Then 2 funbles else where and i do beleive all lead to TD's. Now minus those and the score would of been diff... but that is part of playing football. Now the cordova game still would have amounted in a bigger score. We moved the ball on Cordova. Cordova only had 3 or 4 1st downs to our 14 or so... Cordova struggled. Now if Millington had the starting QB in which Coach Hawkins seems to have confidence in him passing well that would had possibly made it worse than it was.

That is the very reason. Rain will make a team one-dimensional. Cordova "D" is pretty good against the run. And those rushing yards were gained when mixed in with a leathal passing game. Take that away and Cordova can focus on stopping the run. Plus a sloppy field will even hinder the running game.

Not to mention what a wet football will do to the turnover stats!

The Cordova I saw was one that struggled against the run, and that was in the rain. They key is to get outside of them or trap them. Running straight at them will not get it done.

Gochiefs and doug,

The cordova I saw I thought did a good job against Millington's run, at least until they started wearing down in the 4th quarter. Yes, I know millington forced all those turnovers, but without them it would have been a much closer game. Three of the turnovers gave millington the ball deep in cordova territory and directly lead to td's. That is 21 points right there. Remember that it was going to be 7-0 at the half without that late turnover with like a minute and a half left in the half. Gave millington the ball on like the 10 yard line and millington was able to punch it in for the 14-0 halftime lead.

Doug, think back. How many 10+ yard runs can you remember?

Cordova is big up front and I give them more credit than you guys I guess....

First not alot of 10 yd runs but a whole lot of 5 and 8s. Second the only thing that kept the score down early were the Millington penalties.Almost 300 yards rushing between 3 ball carriers. The 4th qtr. was mostly or number twos on the line and in the backfield. The o line and d line totally dominated the Cordova lines. I could be wrong but I just did not see the stout d from Cordova.

244 is correct. Trojans had 7 plays of at least 10 yards or more. They had 24 of their 55 rushing plays go for at least 5 yards or more. That game was all about our defense and the job they did on Cordova. Cordova had 17 rushing plays in the game. 1 for 30 yards, 1 for 78 yds (TD) and 15 others for -14 yards. Baker was 1-12 passing for 15 yards and 2 INT.

Halftime stats were:

Rushing

Millington-24 carriers for 118 yds 1 TD

Cordova-8 carries for 32 yds

Passing

Millington 2-2 for 27 yds 1 TD

Cordova 1-7 for 15 yds and 1 INT

First passing play of the game for Cordova was an interception by Bradford Wilmer.

First passing play of the game for Millington was complete then fumbled.

First passing attempt of the 2nd half by Cordova was tipped and intercepted by Carl Payne.

This game could have been a lot worse then what it was. Trojans had their share of fumbles plus 9 penalties for 60 yds. Cordova only had 3 first downs on the night and 2 of those came in the first half.