Big Games in Memphis ... Week 7

kwc

CBHS wins 24-14

I think most folks went with CBHS ... except for wstnballer ... we all knew who he was pulling for!

The CA's version of what happened is below.

Purple Wave outlast pesky ECS

I went. It was a good game. Questionable officiating on back to back plays helped CBHS with their second score. From what I saw and what the people around me said, ECS wastes Harrison Jones. They don't throw to him and they don't run behind him. It just doesn't make any sense. I left with 3 minutes left in the game and he had 1 catch for like 6 yards.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went. It was a good game. Questionable officiating on back to back plays helped CBHS with their second score. From what I saw and what the people around me said, ECS wastes Harrison Jones. They don't throw to him and they don't run behind him. It just doesn't make any sense. I left with 3 minutes left in the game and he had 1 catch for like 6 yards.

BMack:

That's interesting to hear. I didn't look at the stats in the paper on that game but you would assume that a player rated as high as he is on the recruiting sites who has verbally committed to play for a SEC school the caliber of Alabama would be utilized more. I'm surprised to hear that. But ... now that I think about it, I don't ever remember seeing him have a lot of receiveing yards in the CA. Then you say that they don't run behind him either. I'm baffeled myself. Maybe there is more to this then meets the eye because it doesn't add up to me either.

It's like Buffalo ... why have Terrell Owens if you aren't going to throw the ball his way on a consistant basis?

CBHS wins 24-14

I think most folks went with CBHS ... except for wstnballer ... we all knew who he was pulling for!

The CA's version of what happened is below.

Purple Wave outlast pesky ECS

Yeah, KWC, no doubt who I'm for, lol. BMack, you're right about those calls. ECS should have won that game, they ran it down CBHS's throats in the 1st half. Couldn't do much the 2nd half. Regarding Harrison Jones, it's disappointing this year. Everyone had high expectations out of him and they really aren't using him. His blocking really isn't that strong, they do have a strong interior line, so they are using that wisely and with success. As far as throwing to him, he's fine on balls thrown over his shoulder. He certainly has all the tools physically, I'm at a loss as to why they don't throw to him more as you can design plays that fit his strengths. He's a great kid and I wish him well at 'Bama but at this rate he won't be ready for the transistion.

Greetings from the HAVEN!... first off thanks for the shout out! Yes we will be playing Sheffield for Homecoming thursday and let's just say I hope I can see some of My Freshmen and Sophs get some REPS :thumb:

BlackHavenSenator:

26-8? .... Really? Then I look in the paper to see the stats of the game and I see only 10 first downs, 78 yards net rushing and 76 yards net passing. I know it was homecoming ... but still ... I didn't expect this type of performance. Mitchell, East, and Melrose will demand better.

TCB!

Marcus Rogers has an awesome football mind. I tried my best to hire him at Mitchell as an assistant head coach. Has football in his blood, his father Glen Rogers Sr coached at Southside for years and is now a principal in Mississippi, his brother Glen Jr played at Memphis and in the CF. Marcus signed with UT out of high school but transfered to Jackson State. He is highly respected in the coaching circles.

Millington wins 7-0 in overtime!!! My hats off to Boltons defense!!!

Final: White Station 35 --- Melrose 34. Overtime!

Gritty come-back win by White Station..... Melrose let (another) one slip away.

---------------------------------------------

After a ho-hum 1st-half featuring lots of penalties and a little scoring, both offenses woke up in the 2nd half.

To cut to the chase, Melrose clung to a 28 -21 4th qtr lead with appx 3 minutes remaining in the game. White Station was backed up to near mid-field @ 4th down and 20! Melrose went into a prevent defense.

Bad move!

White Station picked up 21 yards or so via a pass play and picked up the 1st down, to miraculously get themselves off life support! Melrose then proceeded to pick up 3 successive penalties, eventually moving White Station deep inside Melrose's red zone with appx 1 1/2 minutes remaining....White Station eventually scored on a TD pass and kicked the PAT to tie the game, with appx 1 minute left.

New score: White Station 28 -- Melrose 28.

Melrose received the kickoff and, after a series of clutch runs and passes (and WS penalties), found itself on White Station's 3 yard line, with .08 seconds remaining in regulation and a chance to win the game! To win the game, all Melrose needed to do was KICK......

I'll stop there and say this: $100,000 Monopoly dollars (and Boardwalk) go to all CoachT posters who are able to figure out in a nano-second, just what happened to Melrose next...

Hint: The final score is irrelevant!

--------------------------------------

Flash Back: Melrose never attempted an extra-point the entire game. They have no kicker, obviously.... They converted two 2-pt conversions, I believe.

Fast Forward to the .08 seconds remaining... Melrose actually attempted to kick a 23-yard FG (i.e. extra point distance). They missed badly! The football didn't even go anywhere into the direction, distance or height of the goal posts. It wasn't even an end-over-end kick. It resembled more of a weird, out of control spinning-top, if you can imagine that! It was "U-G-L-Y, you-aint-got-no-alibi" ugly!!

Somehow, I suspect that EVERY CochT poster who reads this got the correct answer: Melrose missed the extra-point-like field goal!!!

That's right--Melrose remained 100% true to their achilles-heel, spanning many, many years of football woes in close games...

CoachT posters: Forget $200. Everybody pass GO. Get out of Jail free. Collect $100,000! Take Boardwalk.... The Melrose Golden Wildcats players will trade it all for a real life kicker!

Overtime, here we come!

On the very 1st play in OT, Melrose's QB tossed his 5th (or 4th) TD pass of the night, this time to Darrius Poole--who might have had 2 or 3 TD catches on the night. 2-pt conversion failed.

On 3rd-down, White Station scored on an option. Extra-point good.

Game over!

-------------------------------------

Final thoughts:

1) Melrose needs a kicker...this has gotten so beyond OLD news, that it's now STALE news!

2) White Station -- if they are the best Public School team in the area (as some speculate), then...I'm sorry (no disrespect intended, WS fans) -- that is indeed a very BAD sign!

3) White Station's ACE "Mr. Everything," #4- Burton, left the game (late 3rd-qtr, I think) with what appeared to be a very bad left arm/shoulder/elbow/wrist type injury. He never returned.....I sincerely hope that the young man is OK.

4) W.S fans.....What's the word on Burton's injury?

We won a dogfight tonight at Arlington 22-6. Cordova is a tough team. I know they were 3-3, but they have some good players and are pretty physical. Tough going for both teams tonight and costly penalties really hurt the Wolves all night. I dont think we had a great night offensively, but the defense carried us again. Right now I think our defense is playing as well as anybody and we are going to need them next week against Craigmont. The good thing is we clinched a playoff berth tonight, so everybody who has been counting us out, count us in now!!! Go Tigers!!

Gritty win by the Tigers tonight. I was very pleased that Arlington did not turn the ball over. A key play in the game was when Arlington was punting on 4th and 10 from their own 20. The snap was fumbled by the punter (starting WR) and he avoided the first Cordova defender, made his way to the sidelines and earned a first down that allowed the drive to continue.

Our Qb did have 2 TD passes but did not have a great night statistically (10-24 for 116 yds, 2 TDs 0 Ints.) but he didn't turn the ball over and our defense played lights out for the 2nd week in a row. Cordova played hard and aggressive and the wet field, while limiting our passing game, probably hurt Cordova in getting their speed backs out on the edge. Playoffs, here we come!

Sounds like Millington and Bolton played a slugfest. I really thought the Trojans would handle them, but give Bolton credit. This sets up a 6A showdown in 3 weeks between Millington and Arlington - Hope it is a good one.

Craigmont is next up for the Tigers. I beleive that this may be our toughest test to date. We played them in 7-7 at Briarcrest in the summer and I was very impressed with the physical nature and speed of the secondary. Our offense will have to be clicking on all cylinders and the defense continuing thier play to beat the Chiefs.

Congratulations to all who won. Hope no one had any serious injuries. Finaly get a chance to see Millington play and man what a defensive battle. Field conditions were bad and fumbles ruled the night. Exciting overtime win by the Trojans. Both teams showed alot of grit and heart. Not sure if it was play calling or just that #7 was just overwhelmed but dang what was he doing on some of those plays. One word of advice to the Trojans we had better get #11 back on the field quick. From what my friends say who get to go to more games than I do he seems to stay pretty calm. It was ugly but we will take it.

Millington wins 7-0 in overtime!!! My hats off to Boltons defense!!!

Final: White Station 35 --- Melrose 34. Overtime!

Gritty come-back win by White Station..... Melrose let (another) one slip away.

---------------------------------------------

TraderB,

I agree with your comments here, but I agee 1000% with your comments in the CA about Mitchell. This isn't the NFL or college where you need some pass/rush balance. At this level, when you've got the big dogs up front, you win by pounding your opponent into submission. I wonder if some of it is trying to push some touches the way of his WR since he's heavily recruited? If so, I can respect his desire to help his kid out.