Tennessean: Ensworth Star May be Next John Henderson

TheBigRedDog

big red big blue - I think a big part of the problem occurred because the father had already pursued the issue of eligibility when his son transferred as a 7th grader and had a letter from the TSSAA stating that his son would not lose a year of eligibility - period. Otherwise, he would have not have had his son play 7th grade football at MUS the year he transferred. This all occurred when the definition of "junior high" was being modified to fit the new "middle school" concept of 7th and 8th grade only, but I don't know if that played a part. Previously, this public school had an "lower" school grades 1-6 and and an "upper" school grades 7-12. Then they built a separate "middle" school grades 7-8 and the old school became the "high school" grades 9-12 with freshmen, JV and varsity teams. They ultimately honored the original decision but meanwhile the boy didn't play football or basketball as a 9th grader. In any case, the principal had no reason to pursue this other then "sour grapes" and years later admitted to his successor that it was not fair to the boy and he should not have done it. Nonetheless, he never apologized to the boy's father.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big red big blue - sorry, I had to go to a doctor's appointment and didn't finish my earlier response.

Originally, the boy's parents had argued to the TSSAA that their son was transferring for academic reasons on the advice of his public school principal (and had a letter documenting this) and therefor their son should not be in effect punished athletically for transferring. This is why the TSSAA had decided in his favor. The HS principal had enough clout to get the issue reopened two years later under the circumstances I already have described. Moreover, even if there had been an established rule like you described, the boy had played only football at the public school. The principal wanted him barred from all sports for the entire year.

Anyway, all's well that end's well. The boy got his "learning problem" corrected at MUS and has prospered. Dad is now a multimillionaire who generously supports his son's alma maters. He still lives within "walking distance" of the public school which caused the problem and has nothing to do with them, though he has run into the MS principal who directed his son to MUS and expressed his thanks for that phone call he got years ago.

Big red big blue - sorry, I had to go to a doctor's appointment and didn't finish my earlier response.

Originally, the boy's parents had argued to the TSSAA that their son was transferring for academic reasons on the advice of his public school principal (and had a letter documenting this) and therefor their son should not be in effect punished athletically for transferring. This is why the TSSAA had decided in his favor. The HS principal had enough clout to get the issue reopened two years later under the circumstances I already have described. Moreover, even if there had been an established rule like you described, the boy had played only football at the public school. The principal wanted him barred from all sports for the entire year.

Anyway, all's well that end's well. The boy got his "learning problem" corrected at MUS and has prospered. Dad is now a multimillionaire who generously supports his son's alma maters. He still lives within "walking distance" of the public school which caused the problem and has nothing to do with them, though he has run into the MS principal who directed his son to MUS and expressed his thanks for that phone call he got years ago.

Sounds like Germantown and Ernest Chism.

Things would probably run along much more smoothly if everybody kept in mind the idea that schools exist to educate children, and that they have athletic programs as a recreational way of imparting and enhancing some important lessons. It's unfortunate when supporters lose sight of this distinction. When educators and administrators do, it's unforgivable.

I was writing what the student said about the student body makeup of Ensworth. And I am pleased to hear that Mt. Pleasnt feels they have lost a good young man . . . because the nature of what I was reading sounded more like people were sad about losing a good athlete. As for "where was Ensworth" when he couldn't play as a kid because he was too big . . . huh? You think Ensworth should have sent someone down to talk to a kid in middle school? What should EHS have done? I'm just happy that he's happy . . . or at least states that he is.

LIke I said earlier I wish Antonio the best in what ever happens to him. He has alot that most high school kids will never have. I hope he gets a great education at Ensworth along with an education he will get once he gets to college. Everyone knows he will go somewere because of his size. He was a great kid on the field and in the class room at MPHS. I remember seeing Antonio at the Jeff Fisher show one night in Nashville and he made L. White look like a midget and Antonio was only a freshman at the time. E George could not hold a candle to the size of Antonio.

It would have nice to have seen Antonio stay at MPHS his last three years. He would make lots of centers and defensive linemen friday nights horrible in class 1a ball. I remember a story about the week before mTp played Huntland. The coaching staff at Huntland would line there starting nose guard up at center and then place the smallest freshmen on his shoulders. That starting center was told that is what you will be playing aganist friday night with Antonio. My nephew played with Antonio and was a preseason and post season all midstate lineman in 1a ball. He would tell big Antonio if he lined up on the opposite side of him that he would buy him a gatorade every day after practice. Now my nephew was abig kid at 6' 280, but Antonio was a giant lined up on the other side of the ball.

Now lets get down to the good stuff. Does anyone here know were and how Ensworth spotted Antonio? Antonio was at UT Knoxville for a freshman football camp when he was first noticed by Ensworth. With that being said, a dare officer at Mt Pleasant drove Antonio to Knoxville for this camp. He paid for everything the drive up, meals, gas and all. Now Antonio's dad went along for the ride. Did he pay anything? No. Just like Tigerfan said, we all know his Dad and we all know how much he was in Antonios life before all this happened. Antonio lived with is Mom and little brother while his dad did his thing. All that I an going to say there. Because I would rather not put it on here. Tigerfan know what we did for him at MPHS basketball games........

Antonio is going to get a great high school education and he will attend the college of his choice. LIke I said before I wish him the best in all that he does. I know for a fact that Tim McGraw and Faith Hill came to MPHS asking the principal to sign a letter saying that Antonio went for academics and not for football. We all know that it was for football and I am not sure if I would have signed the letter myself. If he has signed this letter he would have been able to play in the playoffs last season.

Now, if Antonio was my son would I have sent him to Ensworth? You can bet your sweet bottom that I would have done the same thing. Does Ensworth give him a better education? You bet they will. Would the same schools be after him if he was still at MPHS? You bet they would, size is all you need. Coaches can coach and teachers can teach him.

I hope he is the next John Henderson.

Any spelling or grammar errors, they are all on me..... :roflol:

LIke I said earlier I wish Antonio the best in what ever happens to him. He has alot that most high school kids will never have. I hope he gets a great education at Ensworth along with an education he will get once he gets to college. Everyone knows he will go somewere because of his size. He was a great kid on the field and in the class room at MPHS. I remember seeing Antonio at the Jeff Fisher show one night in Nashville and he made L. White look like a midget and Antonio was only a freshman at the time. E George could not hold a candle to the size of Antonio.

It would have nice to have seen Antonio stay at MPHS his last three years. He would make lots of centers and defensive linemen friday nights horrible in class 1a ball. I remember a story about the week before mTp played Huntland. The coaching staff at Huntland would line there starting nose guard up at center and then place the smallest freshmen on his shoulders. That starting center was told that is what you will be playing aganist friday night with Antonio. My nephew played with Antonio and was a preseason and post season all midstate lineman in 1a ball. He would tell big Antonio if he lined up on the opposite side of him that he would buy him a gatorade every day after practice. Now my nephew was abig kid at 6' 280, but Antonio was a giant lined up on the other side of the ball.

Now lets get down to the good stuff. Does anyone here know were and how Ensworth spotted Antonio? Antonio was at UT Knoxville for a freshman football camp when he was first noticed by Ensworth. With that being said, a dare officer at Mt Pleasant drove Antonio to Knoxville for this camp. He paid for everything the drive up, meals, gas and all. Now Antonio's dad went along for the ride. Did he pay anything? No. Just like Tigerfan said, we all know his Dad and we all know how much he was in Antonios life before all this happened. Antonio lived with is Mom and little brother while his dad did his thing. All that I an going to say there. Because I would rather not put it on here. Tigerfan know what we did for him at MPHS basketball games........

Antonio is going to get a great high school education and he will attend the college of his choice. LIke I said before I wish him the best in all that he does. I know for a fact that Tim McGraw and Faith Hill came to MPHS asking the principal to sign a letter saying that Antonio went for academics and not for football. We all know that it was for football and I am not sure if I would have signed the letter myself. If he has signed this letter he would have been able to play in the playoffs last season.

Now, if Antonio was my son would I have sent him to Ensworth? You can bet your sweet bottom that I would have done the same thing. Does Ensworth give him a better education? You bet they will. Would the same schools be after him if he was still at MPHS? You bet they would, size is all you need. Coaches can coach and teachers can teach him.

I hope he is the next John Henderson.

Any spelling or grammar errors, they are all on me..... :thumb:

You seem to know a lot about this topic. I am curious as to how the connection was made with Ensworth. You state Ensworth discovered Antonio at UT camp. Do you know how his introduction to the school went down? Did he visit other private schools?