District 7AA

PurpleGrad

Real classy if I must say.

Oh, and here's a little known fact for all you knowledge seekers out there! Did you know? Grundy County was actually the birthplace of "Class"? Yes it's true, the founder of the town, Lester Grundy, was the first Vampire in America to successfully steal a car from a neighboring county and sell it for scrap. Thus giving Grundy the prestigious reputation it still holds today! Thats right! From Post-Game fight attempts to the Grundy Crowds own personal bashing of Daniel Carwright, one of the best Sophomores in the state, Grundy County knows "Class"! And boy are they not afraid to show it!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually sit back and watch the event then look on here to see what people say about the games, however, the whole event tonight was ridiculous. Number one, if a kid from Grundy County gave an unnecessary push in the back...no one would be surprised. Everyone is used to having their way in that gym. The game was great, but the extra activity was embarrassing personally. I didnt see the whole interaction between #10 and the coach from Grundy but if it actually happened he should be ashamed. Basketball is a competetive sport. Yes, I am an SC fan but I do not see anything wrong with a hard foul ever now and again. Frustration gets to players. It happens. Although as the post before said, personally bashing a player is uncalled for. The kid is good. Win or lose I believe night in and night out Cartwright is the best and most complete player on the floor at all times. Credit to Grundy, it is very hard to win on that mountain...but the other things are totally uncalled for. The crowd has no need to be making fun of a kid who seems to be a good kid and is obviously very hard working. His tools are polished. And as a long time student of the game I can tell he has spent time polishing them. I think the chants and signs agianst Cartwright were equally or probably more unclassy and rude than the push in the back. I believe SC will end up winning the 7AA tournament. Losing to Bledsoe and Grundy the past two weeks should "fire them up". Plus, 22 should be motivated to hush the crowd in the teams next meetings. Good luck to the Indians and Coach Smith.

Good atmosphere in this game until the end. The foul was unnecessary, these are high school kids and do get frustrated and sometimes things like that happen. I am not sure though what happened after the push because people started standing up in front of me. Some of the Seq. fans were talking that Grundy's asst. coach pushed a player. What is the penalty for this if he even did or did not?

Sometimes in an "almost-melee" your eyes can play tricks on you depending on point of view. I thought I saw some out of line actions immediately after the game ended but film would be needed to make sure. The foul was hard but I didn't think it was excessive. Excessive would have been an elbow to the head. Excessive taunting in the last minute or two by players, which the referees should have shut up, helped lead to a near-flare up. It continued after the final horn, which didn't help things in the least either.

The game last nite was great, and both teams played with lots of intensity. I felt like the hard foul at the end was totally unnecessary, and a bad ending to a hard fought contest. I think the asst coach was merely trying to seperate everyone and send the fans who were charging the floor back to the stands. I know that in high school, when trying to break up a fight, you just do your best to seperate everyone, and that looked like what he was trying to do. I heard him yell, get back in those bleachers! I wish both teams lots of luck in the district tournament!

I'll say this much about the extra stuff last night with the students. I hope that the folks in charge at both schools keep a closer eye on things if these two meet up again in the tourney. Kids emotions get out of control. Adults are supposed to keep theirs in control and prevent anything bad from happening. If these two play for the district title the emotions will only be higher.

Of course everyone better watch out for Notre Dame because they might just solve everyone's problems by knocking somebody out of the finals.

As for the hard foul that could have just as easily happened with Grundy committing the foul if they were behind. All those boys on the floor on both sides played their guts out and are to be commended for such and outstanding effort.

And I watched a replay on film last night of the issue with the coach. There's a big difference guys in a coach "shoving" a player and _pushing_ them toward their bench and away from a possible fight. If I shove someone I'm shoving them to provoke the fight or to make them cower and walk away so I can look big. (ie- stupid redneck behavior) If I grab a kid around the waist and move them away from the problem and toward their bench and their own coach I'm being a responsible adult trying to prevent a brawl. That same coach grabbed one or two Grundy players and pulled them back toward their own bench before he ever nudged the Sequatchie player in the right direction.

Both coaches should have a long talk with their teams if these two do meet again in the tournament. No sense being in the same situation that Shelbyville and Lawrence County are.

Besides all that.... I can't be prouder for Coach Holt. Coaching boys' basketball at GCHS is the toughest job in the building to be successful at. Last night Coach Holt and his boys did what's only been done one other time in the last 40 years or so.....or maybe more since nobody keeps Grundy records worth a flip.

Congrats Coach Holt and the Yellow Jackets! :thumb: Now lets hope the Lady Yellow Jackets and the Jackets win the tournament!

DL.

^^^ I AGREE^^^

Do I recall when Sequatchie played Marion their student section bashed Marion players about a certain incident? It was okay then, but since it was vise versa it was rude and disrespectful. Personally, it sounds like you are trying to put your fans above everyone else.

It's hard to say that about GC's student section when your own does the same.

What did the signs say? 'Cause as soon as they were getting put up, they were getting torn down by Sequatchie fans.

Bashing a player! You guys must be kidding! People from SC need to stop crying. Have any of you seen a college basketball game. The student section is suppose to get in the heads of the other teams players. Its part of the game. The Grundy student section has done nothing wrong.

Tell that to Lawrence County and Shelbyville. "A part of the game" helped (not entirely the blame) to cause a near-riot from the way it sounded.

^^^ I AGREE^^^

Do I recall when Sequatchie played Marion their student section bashed Marion players about a certain incident? It was okay then, but since it was vise versa it was rude and disrespectful. Personally, it sounds like you are trying to put your fans above everyone else.

It's hard to say that about GC's student section when your own does the same.

What did the signs say? 'Cause as soon as they were getting put up, they were getting torn down by Sequatchie fans.

That was less than 5 students, for a few seconds from what I heard from the other end of the gym. And as unfortunate as it was, it was an incident the Marion players brought upon themselves. Totally different situation. No clue what was on signs. Anything too out of line should have been taken up by your own staff prior to any "sign theft."

Personally, it sounds like you are trying to put your fans above everyone else.

That's hilarious, after seeing you and one or two others put one player above the others in the girls topics at least until there was finally backlash seemingly from your own fans/parents. dry.gif

I still say had the referees put a stop to the taunting especially in the last minute when Grundy had control, it would have helped prevent any more nonsense. That was the most jawing on the court I've seen in years.

Maybe I should just be content Sequatchie didn't lose by 50 as we were told on here Grundy would be wiping out everybody else in the district. Notre Dame didn't listen to that either, and Bledsoe, after a win over Marion can't be overlooked though they have to get past CCS. Should be a good tournament.

I didnt attend the Marion game at Marion because without their two main players I knew it wouldnt have been a very good game. However, I agree with Indian...those are two completely different things. Marions players had brought that incident on themselves, players cannot help the way that they look. By the way, last time I checked...if you are better looking than the opposing teams cheerleaders that is a good thing! :thumb: Im only kidding only kidding.(No cheerleaders take offense to that) But the students werent bashing Cartwrights game they were bashing his looks. I agree that in college games the student sections harass other players "game" or skill saying "you suck" for example but that was not the case in the Grundy Sequatchie game. And like I said I wasnt for sure on what happened between the coach and player. I found out a little more information today but nothing concrete. The only reason I brought up the bashing is because you spoke of class...class is NOT talking so much trash during the game that it ends in a fight....it is NOT bashing players personally...and it is certainly NOT pushing a player when you are a coach(if that happened). Hard fouls accur in games that are intense and close. Its basketball. A competetive sport. Tempers flare.

Cartwright is a heck of a ball player, but the best player on the court that night he was not. I would even go as far as to say he wasn't even the best player on his team that night. The big man for Seq. played great and really impressed me.

As for the the student section, thats nothing more than the things I have seen when these teams meet. That doesn't make it right, but when Grundy, Seq., Marion and Bledsoe play it happens, and has for years.

In my opinion the foul late was fine. I thought the kid fouled right at the buzzer and it was a desperate and hard foul. Nothing wrong with that. The Grundy kids should have celebrated with each other and the Seq players should have went to their bench or locker-room, but emotions were running high. I also thought the Grundy coaches did a GREAT job of breaking things up, as did the Seq assistant. These are 16,17, and 18 year old kids who are on the verge of fighting, you do what you have to do to break it up.

The Grundy kids didn't play their best game, but they are competitors and came through in the clutch. Congratulations to Boo, Butner, Fults, Kreh, Tippy, Colby, and Lanson on bringing the district title back home.

To Coach Holt, who is the best coach around. You deserve it.

The only disappointment all night from Grundy was Coach Newsome putting 6 players on the court and getting T'd up in the JV game. Jesus.