District 11AA

oakwood

I agree with clemlawn on everything that you said. I would like to see a shot clock but since there is not one the you are right you play the game the best way that gives your team a chance to win.As for CreekWood it is still my opinion that if the lose to any team in this district then they simply beat themselves. The officiating in CW vs Harpeth the other night was horendus!! It is amazing to me that players are allowed to have someone by the shirt holding them and a foul is not called. This was done over and over in the guarding of Hyndman and Dotson and it was a no call. However, I will give kudos to Harpeth they came ready to play and played much tougher defense then I have seen them play all year.This team definately improved as the season went on and that is huge. I think a lot of defenders have the mindset of if we can't stop them just just hold them or take our chances fouling them to death. However, they know this is going to be an issue and great players find a way to play through that and help get their teammates involved even more. Coty Crowe stepped up and played a great game when we had some in foul trouble and once again this was a team effort to win the game!! Redhawks play team ball and find a way to win when it gets tough and that is what good teams do they do not make excuses!! I can assure you that no one on the Redhawks bench was pleased with how they played the first half of that ballgame. These players have got to make a commitment to crashing the boards and getting put backs when they are not shooting well or when your best rebounders are sitting on the bench. That was a huge difference in the first half of the game for sure.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Montgomery Central on there win over Waverly. Great game plan and execution. I thought Waverly made a good run and had a chance to get back in it. hale made some good plays toward the end. Every time Waverly loses papatiger has something bad to say about the other team and if it is Creek Wood he has something bad to say about them even when they win.Sometimes you just get beat. I realize not all Waverly fans are like Papatiger, But for someone who has seen as much ball as he says he has, he has not said anything that I have read that would lead me to believe that he knows anything about the game. Until there is a shot clock in high school a coach would be foolish not to play a game in the way that gives his team the best opportunity to win. The game was decided onthe court and Central won. Maybe if they do like the NBA and allow 6 fouls Vogel would not have fouled out. Maybe if everything was on T.V. you would not need radio announcers.

First of all, I never said Waverly would have won the game. Montgomery central did beat the Tigers and used the rules to their advantage. But this is not the only game that I have seen like this and many not involving the Tigers and going to a four corner is not (coachrop) playing. Let them duke it out and play and see who wins. Montgomery Central likely would have won anyway the other night but we will never know will we?

As far as knowing basketball, clem, pretty sure I've forgotten more than you will ever know.

Papa sorry you have a problem with your memory. Maybe you can get some meds. Most all scores in the tourney are below teams average. because the games mean more than a regular season game. The game was decided on the court, how you do not see that is beyond comprehension. I am sure you watched the game, but maybe you forgot. Good luck against Harpeth should be a good game.

Papa sorry you have a problem with your memory. Maybe you can get some meds. Most all scores in the tourney are below teams average. because the games mean more than a regular season game. The game was decided on the court, how you do not see that is beyond comprehension. I am sure you watched the game, but maybe you forgot. Good luck against Harpeth should be a good game.

Clemlawn, you and I would get along great, I have the feeling. Most people don't realize that the shot clock was only put into place because of MONEY, first in the pros and then in college.

High school is the only place where the game is played as it was originally intended. Four corners is part of strategy and defending is as well. Boring? Maybe. Don't get down and give the other team the opportunity to go into a stall offense. IMHO, take the dang three-point line off the court as well.

IMHO I think that a good coach can adjust his game plan to the personel that he has. Montgomery Central spreads the floor and uses the clock because Trevor Moore is one of there weapons. I dont think anyone in the district can dribble in pressure the way he does. There have been some times this year that MC has pulled the ball out with a lead and it has cost them. I think that Creek Woods success this year is because of the way they play defense. The games they struggle to score, they can still make things happen because of there defense. I think when a team is one dimensional that is when they are in trouble. I have heard crowds boo a coach for pulling the ball out on offense, but the defense stays back in a zone and allows it to happen. It is all strategy and your strategy depends on your personel. I have always taken it as a compliment if a team tried to slow it down because that usually means they dont have the ahtletes to compete at a fast pace. Sometimes the athletes dont have the discipline to play a slower tempo. It is all fun for me to watch because the best team does not always win or they would not need to play the game. But all kidding aside I respect papas oppinion.

I don't understand why the 4 corners was even brought up in the first place...Montgomery Central went to that maybe 3 to 4 minutes out of the ENTIRE game. Which, if I remember correctly is 32 minutes. It's not like Jimmy Young looked down at Waverly and knew he absolutely couldn't win and held the ball from the opening minute.

Teams all the time, EVEN with a shot clock, use the clock to their advantage with a lead late in games. They eliminate the amount of possessions in the game to not give the other team a chance to come back. Some of the greatest coaches in the history of college basketball have used or still use this tactic. Ever heard of Mike Krzyzewski? Dean Smith? Duke still to this day pulls the ball out with 6 to 8 minutes to go with a lead, using the entire shot clock before getting a good shot, eliminating the other team's possessions and running clock. This has been part of the game since the invention of the game of basketball.

Next, you'll want to take out running the ball at the end of football game, because you want to give the other team a shot to comeback and win. I personally think the only reason you brought it up was because your team was down and you wanted to give them a chance. I'm sure if Waverly had done this you would have had no problem with it and commended Coach Rawlings on the smart game plan.

And speaking of that...I'm sure Coach Rawlings has used this tactic before and at the end of games and didn't just go down the court throwing up quick shots and letting the other team back in it. It's just common sense.

Defense does win championships no doubt and Creek Wood plays sound defense. Dotson affects more teams shots whether he blocks them or not. I agree that the extended zone was a good call by Coach Taylor. Kudos to Creek Wood. I do wonder what the shooting percentages were for both teams in the Harpeth game and boy, aren't those Cheatham rims friendly? I thought they were shooters rims from the ones that went in, which weren't that numerous.

I do agree with wblady about the ref(s). I thought 2 called a decent game and one made too many calls, was out of position for quite a few of them and they were a little charge happy on the block/charge calls. I also thought they called it both ways. There was a lot more traveling than was called.

After watching the games on Friday night and then reading all of these posts I am beginning to wonder if some watched the same games or do they just not know much about basketball. In any case, both games were exciting to watch. Montgomery Central controlled the game (by whatever means they had available to them - 4 corners, good defense, ect.). Sanchez was excellent on defense and Moore did his job. Moore may not be one of the best shooters, but he has been stepping up his offensive game of late. Although if they could have hit freethrows it would have been a more decisive victory. Creekwood had a slow start, but they did what they had to in order to win. Their athleticism is incredible. Creekwood has an awesome team and Montgomery Central is going to have to be on their game if they think they are going to get close to winning that matchup. Can't wait for Tuesday! :flower:

Moore for mc is a great ballhandler,if he ever developes a shot he will be very difficult

to guard.He needs to spend hours in gym and he could be special.Waverly never had an

answer for him in any of there three meetings.As for Cw there two post are incredible.

There ability to play above the rim is unmatched in this district.This makes them very

difficult to beat.MC really has to hope CW has an off night or I just dont see them

beating CW. Waverly should be able to handle Harpeth in the under card game.Waverly

has really been playing well other than MC game(s).They just dont match up well

against Mc.Should be some great games tomorrow night.

Come on. Waverly and Harpeth might play their JV to see who gets the privilege of playing Marshall County after their upset loss to Spring Hill. That district, by the way, is done. Played 3 games in 3 nights and are resting at home waiting 11AA. They'll probably be in the gym Tuesday night. Coach Wilson and Coach Rawlings might even flip a coin in the hospitality room and the winner would take Spring Hill. Same for Creek Wood and Montgomery Central. The bracket to sub-state is the one that doesn't include Marshall County. Kedron Johnson is a 6'-4" point guard with offers from Louisville and Tennessee already, as a junior and he's not the one scoring 24 pts a game.