Blackman Blaze vs Riverdale Warriors @ The Reservation

StorkMontgomery

OK, I'm going to be a man, and explain what happened tonight. We got approval to do the Blackman-Riverdale game about a month ago. It had been on our wish list since the season started. We pretty much figured WGNS would be there; Bryan Barrett even said that would be likely at the Smyrna-Blackman game last month. That was OK, since we get along with them, plus we understood the game was likely going to be very big.

A couple of weeks ago, however, we discovered that 104.5 The Zone had also picked the game up. That wasn't a problem, we figured we'd just call the game from the roof. We had done so at the Baylor-Montgomery Bell game last month.

Unfortunately, the weather forecast didn't change. We had been hoping all week that the game would be moved, because a game on either day would've eliminated 104.5 (a Preds game on Thursday, and a Vandy game on Saturday night).

On Wednesday, we established a backup: if the weather was going to be poor, we head to LaVergne. At around 4:50, last night, I left my house for Riverdale. My executive producer was already there, and in the center booth of the press box. While driving down 24, he called me, and said we couldn't set up our stuff in the press box. There would be too many people. So, we had to make a decision: do the game outdoors, and risk ruining our equipment in the rain, or take our lumps, and go to LaVergne. We made the decision to head to LaVergne. Thankfully, their AD kindly allowed us to broadcast their game.

I want to apologize to everyone who tuned in, hoping for the big game. It was just too big of a risk. Our network has no money (those commercials you hear, my exec producer downloads them, because he works in radio; when I worked for Blackman's old network, we'd simply turn down the mics during breaks; when we started MTSN, breaks with dead air were out of the question), and if all our equipment got ruined, we're screwed.

Am I angry at 104.5, even though we were secretly hoping for a move up or postponement so they would have to honor their commitments? No, it was a big game, and everyone wanted in on it?

Am I mad at Riverdale? No, they can't control the weather.

Am I disappointed? Absolutely.

Did we make the right call? Absolutely.

No more football for us this year; we move onto hockey and basketball. We're so happy we get to be indoors for a while. No more outdoors until baseball and softball. Hopefully, we won't see the buckets of rain we saw last Spring when that time comes around.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience that happened tonight. But it was just to big of a risk for us. Besides, WGNS and 104.5 were there, so the game was covered on all corners.

I want to congratulate Blackman and Riverdale on excellent seasons, and wish them the best in the playoffs. The Blaze have proven a lot of doubters wrong, and in the last two weeks, have shown they fear no one. The Warriors are so talented, especially on the ground game. Our first game of the season was their beatdown of Antioch, and they ran all over them that night.

Again, apologies. I hope you understand.

Michael Hackney

Middle Tennessee Sports Network

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know what yall are talking about with the cupcakes but OK

and we are still THE MIGHT RIVERDALE WARRIORS 4 TIME STATE CHAMP!!!that is what i love about some of these blackman people...they win a game and cant act like they have done it before OH WAIT you havent good game both teams played hard you celebrated on our field good luck next week

GO WARRIORS

I know this is twisted, but Bobby Wells never beat Riverdale while a head coach at Blackman. And yet tonight in some strange view he lost again. So Forgive the Blaze after 10 years of zip it felt good to remove the monkey off our backs.

The cup-cakes are what most of the posters from other schools have said about the teams on Blackman's schedule. (It's just that green-eyed Bulldog & Oakweed thing mostly)

and we are still THE MIGHT RIVERDALE WARRIORS 4 TIME STATE CHAMP!!!that is what i love about some of these blackman people...they win a game and cant act like they have done it before OH WAIT you havent good game both teams played hard you celebrated on our field good luck next week

GO WARRIORS

the cupcakes reference is because alot of folks have said that we have played a "cupcake" schedule!

we have not done it...you are right...that is why we are so excited! the bottom line...hardly anyone gave us a CHANCE against yall tonight...which was ridiculous based on common opponent scores...and so some of the blackman folks are responding to that...the other bottom line...Games in our region could go either way depending on the night...but tonight is our night! :bored: and your field was the only field avaliable...but after the game...it really wasn't a field...it was a COW PASTURE AT BEST! (I felt bad for ya'll field...it may never recover with out alot of cash to be poured into it) :popcorneater:

great seeing you tonight! your a good man with a very classy football team !

OK yall sorry bout that had to get it off my chest. First off congrats to both teams who showed why Rutherford County Football is the best in the state. All those young men poured their all into tonights game and they all deserve a big pat on the back. Now as we look ahead playoffs begin and both these teams as well as Oakland will be in the hunt for the Gold Ball. My prediction is as follows,.....With out a doubt the Gold Ball stays in Rutherford County once again. Time for Maryville's Title Reign to come to an end when they meet up with one of these Rutherford County teams. Theres still quite a few games left to be played so everyone stay loud and proud and cheer your team on. By the way on that note IF YA CANT STAND UP AND SUPPORT YOUR TEAM DO US ALL A FAVOR AND STAY HOME. These boys work way to hard for people to just sit there like a bump on a log. Hats off to both teams and nice to see there is some class acts from both schools posting on here unlike some.

..........WE ARE BLACKMAN..........

GO WARRIORS

I know this is twisted, but Bobby Wells never beat Riverdale while a head coach at Blackman. And yet tonight in some strange view he lost again. So Forgive the Blaze after 10 years of zip it felt good to remove the monkey off our backs.

The cup-cakes are what most of the posters from other schools have said about the teams on Blackman's schedule. (It's just that green-eyed Bulldog & Oakweed thing mostly)

I thought coach wells defense played great tonight...you had 1 drive all night 2 plays and about 95 yards for the TD and then in OT the fumble at the 4 or 5 into the endzone yall recovered for the TD other than that they played GREAT but so did your defense which is why going for 2 was in my opinion a very poor choice during the TO I was please kick it please kick it...I am going to be before i type something that i might regret

GO WARRIORS

GO WARRIORS

You can't deny that you played a cup-cake schedule compare to OHS and RHS and SHS. Show me the Ensworth or Farragut on the BHS schedule? Oh yeah, congrats on the win tonight. Good news is it will all come out in the wash during the playoffs. Coacht has Smyrna's schedule ranked #1, Oakland #3, Riverdale #17, and Blackman.....#78...but that gets you the tiebreaker, congrats.

Sorry for the late post, me and the soggy bottom boys were in the mudbog pushing cars out of the slop for the better part of an hour after the soggy bottom boys dressed in all white finished off their

DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY at the Reservation.

WOW! what a football game, I would have loved to have see it played on a dry field, it was a quagmire (an area of miry or boggy ground whose surface yields under the tread; a bog) or (gigade gigade).

Congradulations to so many who made this possibile. The administration, parents, students, all those recuiting trips, the academy and the list goes on and on. But let us not forget the kids on the field..BIG PROPS from the spring workouts, spring pratice, sprints, the scrimage at Bob Jones that left us going duh, why did we drive here, for a half a game, really. Camp, two a days, work, work, work, then the BGA srimmage and we went this could be good. Then the Gallatin scrimmage and we went oh shez this could really be fun. Then opening night Tullahoma, at our place cause their feild wasn't ready. We drop the hammer and as the weeks went on the hammer kept dropping. Then Smyrna, struggle to move the ball. Do just enough to win baby. We continued to win buy not pretty. Really big test, Oaktown defending state champions, and we struggled and never got on track, played as bad as we could have, but with 52 seconds left still a one score game. We lose, and here come mr. doubt creeping in. So then come Brentwood, we get off to a decent start until ole mo shows up on the other sideline. Bumrush and were down 27-7 with 8 minutes left in the game. As easy as mo had been playing for B-wood, he changed sidelines and thank ya Jesus one mo gin we rally for an unbelivable win, trully snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

So here we are tonight, we had to not only defeat Riverdale (a very good team and a class act, sorry Oakland) but HISTORY. Great start, weather gets real funky, stifles both teams. Fumbles all over the place, can't throw it, can't hang onto it. A successful snap form center was the play of the game for both teams. Clock runs out and it's free football. We get the ball first. First play, I'Train up the gut, big hole, he's inside the five and BAM, blow to the helmet and at the same time someone gets a helmet on the ball and it squirts out like a pimple on a 15 year old into the endzone and a young man wearing a dark mud covered suite falls on the ball, MY GOD it's a Blackman kid....TOUCHDOWN!!!

Phur drives home the free one, were up 14 - 7. Now Riverdale gets it, first down, crowd is going nuts on both sides of the field, sweep right, Hunter has'em in the backfield, he shakes lose down to the four, late hit by the 94 kid. Ball goes half the distance, two plays later Touchdown, badguys. They call timeout, come back and go for the win. The plays is a qb sweep right, when a young man that had just got a late hit penalty breaks through the line, drags the qb to the ground and lifts a team to become

7-AAA DISTRICT CHAMPIONS. Fella's it has been such a great ride, and I know it's not over. What you have accomplished here tonight can not be cheapened and never taken away. Fore tonight on October 30 of 2009, let it ring from on high.........

WE ARE BLACKMAN! and YOU ARE DISTRICT CHAMPONS!

GO WARRIORS

You can't deny that you played a cup-cake schedule compare to OHS and RHS and SHS. Show me the Ensworth or Farragut on the BHS schedule? Oh yeah, congrats on the win tonight. Good news is it will all come out in the wash during the playoffs. Coacht has Smyrna's schedule ranked #1, Oakland #3, Riverdale #17, and Blackman.....#78...but that gets you the tiebreaker, congrats.

And the 2 teams you beat out of the tie breaker have a combined ZERO regulation losses...the system makes no sense.

GO WARRIORS

I agree, Yes I agree, But Just because Blackman was stuck with the schedule that the former Coach made in a job saving effort, does not make Blackman a slacker. Blackman played who was on the calendar each week.

Ok I'll give credit to Smyrna for playing Enswoth. But Centennial, Ravenwood and Beech aren't really now or have they ever been year in and year out power houses. Both Blackman & Smyrna played Brentwood one team won and one team lost. But the one of the main reason that Blackman is top seed is that they won the games that mattered in Rutherford County.

I agree, Yes I agree, But Just because Blackman was stuck with the schedule that the former Coach made in a job saving effort, does not make Blackman a slacker. Blackman played who was on the calendar each week.

Ok I'll give credit to Smyrna for playing Enswoth. But Centennial, Ravenwood and Beech aren't really now or have they ever been year in and year out power houses. Both Blackman & Smyrna played Brentwood one team won and one team lost. But the one of the main reason that Blackman is top seed is that they won the games that mattered in Rutherford County.

New schedules were made this year, after your new coach was hired :popcorneater: Beech won their district tonight, and Ravenwood beat a playoff Independence team, and was probably the 1st team left out of the playoffs. Centennial also played for a playoff spot tonight (although in one of those fluke 2 5A team districts). Much better competition than a 1st year program like Cane Ridge :bored: Oakland played and beat Brentwood too. Smyrna doesn't really have a beef with Blackman, they have one with all the wildcard teams that got in ahead of them. The main reason that Blackman is top seed is because Oakland played Ensworth and not Cane Ridge, Wilson Central, or Station Camp. I don't like it, but by the nonsense tiebreakers, Blackman is 1st. All three are #1 though.