ALCOA vs CAK

I kind of hesitate to make this post due to the venom CoachLogan74 showed toward sky1234 in an earlier post. I'll freely admit that I had nothing to do with generating any of these statistics. I'm not repeating them to slam CAK or take anything away from the excellent team they have. Plus, I do have a life away from the computer keyboard that most people would not consider sad.

I just presented them earlier in the week as a set of goals CAK should try to meet in order to win. These will still apply if the two teams meet again in the playoffs.

1. Limit Alcoa's time of possession to 28 minutes or less

This factor trumps all the others. I'm guessing that Alcoa possessed the ball at least 32 minutes.

2. Limit Alcoa's rushing yardage to 200 or less

A total of 200 yards or less implies that Alcoa likely is averaging 4.0 - 4.5 yards per carry rather

than their usual 8.0 - 10.0

Given the fact that Alcoa was able to get off around 50 running plays, CAK did a pretty good job in limiting them to around 6.2 yards per carry. Despite the fact the CAK defense was on the field so long, it didn't break down and allow many long plays.

3. Limit Alcoa's kickoff/punt return yardage to 80 or less

Alcoa has scored a touchdown on a kick return in most of its games this year

CAK did not allow a long kick return during the game

4. Allow no more than one scoring play of more than 30 yards

Forcing Alcoa to run several plays per drive increases the chance of a turnover on a particular drive

CAK did a pretty good job of limiting long scoring plays. The one long play came on a scramble by the quarterback who ended up throwing to a secondary receiver on the play (Tyler Robinson)

5. Force 3 or more turnovers and score at least 10 points off turnovers

This goal is self explanatory

Neither team turned the ball over during the game, the mark of two disciplined and well coached teams

6. Complete at least 55% of its passes for around 225 yards

Given the number of times CAK usually throws per game, a lower percentage than that will

result in some 3 and outs

Due to Alcoa's dominance of the time of possession, CAK was able to attempt only 23 passes in the game, completing 9, for 54 yards. If the two teams play again, this statistic is going to have to improve drastically.

7. Rush for at least 75 yards

Alcoa must be forced to respect the run in order to somewhat slow down the pass rush

CAK was not able to establish the run after the opening drive, making it easier for Darrell Warren, etc. to mount a pass rush.

8. Commit 2 or fewer turnovers resulting in 7 points or less

If CAK is even with Alcoa or worse in the turnover battle, it is likely to lose

The turnover battle was even - no turnovers for either team.

9. Score at least 3 points every time it is in the red zone

CAK squandered some scoring opportunities against Elizabethton and nearly lost as a result

CAK scored a touchdown the only time it reached the red zone.

10. Win the battle of field position

Make Alcoa go the long way for its scores

CAK did not give up any cheap scores. They made Alcoa go the long way for its scores, but in the process, Alcoa chewed up the clock. So, it was kind of a mixed blessing.

In summary, I hope CAK and Alcoa are able to meet again in a few weeks. Last night's game was fiercely contested and cleanly played. It's just what you want in a high school football game.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FBD and GVK you Guys are special! Always enjoy your fellowship! :blush:

I'm very excited for CAK and their draw in the brackets!

FBD, I found a house in Alcoa you might be interested in? :blush: Your Son was taking Alcoa's best shots and He did prove himself to be a WARRIOR! :wacko:

Right back at you BC! Having friends at competitor schools enhances the experience.

Thanks for the kind words about my son. I passed them along to him lastnight and they gave him a brief moment of reprieve for an otherwise bruised, exhausted and disappointed young man. #2 & #61 gave him a few "love taps", but he rolled with it and keep coming back for more. Thanks for the house offer, but once a Warrior always a Warrior (as long as I can afford the tuition, ha). I'm sure the waiting list is long and the vacancy will be filled immediately.

I really do not think the game was as close as the score indicated. Alcoa gained around 400 yards and limited CAK to about 100. You could tell Alcoa wanted to keep the ball and play clock control. Had it not been for a dropped pass on the 1st drive, Alcoa would have scored 30+ on CAK whose defense was supposed to shut down Alcoa's run game. It was a good win but Alcoa looked a little off at times. They can play better and if they meet again they will. The gap is not as close as some CAK fans think. Good effort by their team though. Probably the best competition for Alcoa since the Fulton game.

I kind of hesitate to make this post due to the venom CoachLogan74 showed toward sky1234 in an earlier post. I'll freely admit that I had nothing to do with generating any of these statistics. I'm not repeating them to slam CAK or take anything away from the excellent team they have. Plus, I do have a life away from the computer keyboard that most people would not consider sad.

I just presented them earlier in the week as a set of goals CAK should try to meet in order to win. These will still apply if the two teams meet again in the playoffs.

1. Limit Alcoa's time of possession to 28 minutes or less

This factor trumps all the others. I'm guessing that Alcoa possessed the ball at least 32 minutes.

2. Limit Alcoa's rushing yardage to 200 or less

A total of 200 yards or less implies that Alcoa likely is averaging 4.0 - 4.5 yards per carry rather

than their usual 8.0 - 10.0

Given the fact that Alcoa was able to get off around 50 running plays, CAK did a pretty good job in limiting them to around 6.2 yards per carry. Despite the fact the CAK defense was on the field so long, it didn't break down and allow many long plays.

3. Limit Alcoa's kickoff/punt return yardage to 80 or less

Alcoa has scored a touchdown on a kick return in most of its games this year

CAK did not allow a long kick return during the game

4. Allow no more than one scoring play of more than 30 yards

Forcing Alcoa to run several plays per drive increases the chance of a turnover on a particular drive

CAK did a pretty good job of limiting long scoring plays. The one long play came on a scramble by the quarterback who ended up throwing to a secondary receiver on the play (Tyler Robinson)

5. Force 3 or more turnovers and score at least 10 points off turnovers

This goal is self explanatory

Neither team turned the ball over during the game, the mark of two disciplined and well coached teams

6. Complete at least 55% of its passes for around 225 yards

Given the number of times CAK usually throws per game, a lower percentage than that will

result in some 3 and outs

Due to Alcoa's dominance of the time of possession, CAK was able to attempt only 23 passes in the game, completing 9, for 54 yards. If the two teams play again, this statistic is going to have to improve drastically.

7. Rush for at least 75 yards

Alcoa must be forced to respect the run in order to somewhat slow down the pass rush

CAK was not able to establish the run after the opening drive, making it easier for Darrell Warren, etc. to mount a pass rush.

8. Commit 2 or fewer turnovers resulting in 7 points or less

If CAK is even with Alcoa or worse in the turnover battle, it is likely to lose

The turnover battle was even - no turnovers for either team.

9. Score at least 3 points every time it is in the red zone

CAK squandered some scoring opportunities against Elizabethton and nearly lost as a result

CAK scored a touchdown the only time it reached the red zone.

10. Win the battle of field position

Make Alcoa go the long way for its scores

CAK did not give up any cheap scores. They made Alcoa go the long way for its scores, but in the process, Alcoa chewed up the clock. So, it was kind of a mixed blessing.

In summary, I hope CAK and Alcoa are able to meet again in a few weeks. Last night's game was fiercely contested and cleanly played. It's just what you want in a high school football game.

Very nice break down. I'm glad you followed up with the recap, good job. Bottom line for me is that it was an exciting game to watch. Nice start for CAK, good job by Alcoa of maintaining their composure and responding. I heard a radio recap on another teams broadcast from someone who attended our game. The reporter basically put it like this: "It was like a heavy weight prize fight between 2 undefeated boxers, 1 up and coming challenger & 1 established champion. The challenger came out and punched the champion in the mouth and rattled him & his trainers. But the champion collected himself and then proceeded to show the young challenger that he wasn't ready to be the champion just yet. No knock outs, but a punishing contest."

And I respect that Chauncey. sky's post was one that was made for nothing more than to state how much better than CAK Alcoa is and that very well may be true. I just don't find it necessary. I wouldn't exactly say "venom", but I do find poisonous snakes interesting so I'll take it as a compliment no matter what. Unlike most people on here that are "venom spewers", my venom is directed at an individual and not a team or its players.