Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

I haven't seen Riverdale in a couple of years, and I know they went through a down period after Coach Rankin left in 2005, but it appears that they are back up to form now. From what I get from talking to a coaching friend in Middle Tennessee, Maryville will see Alcoa X 2, in other words speed on defense that closes fast, on offense, Riverdale has a pretty good running game (Wing-T I think) as they racked up a lot of yards against Farragut in mid-season, when they defeated the Admirals at Murfreesboro. Maryville will have to defend against speed as well, and strong lines. Maryville has a good, solid, well coached team, and they are at home, so edges to the Rebels there, but Riverdale will be more like a 6A team then Maryville has seen so far, far more real talent. Turnovers will again have to go the Rebels way for a win. For the most part, 6A on this end of the state was down this year, so they really did not see that type of team. DB is way down, Ooltewah was not as good as thought, Oak Ridge is rebuilding, and Farragut had a good team, but would not have had as many wins in a more up 6A year. AND, As those of us who were in old 5A and now in 6A know, the road to Cookeville goes through the 'Boro teams, you got to beat them to get there. This will be Maryville's toughest test, if they get by this one, they might win it.

Alcoa x 2 .... Hmmm , easy to say when you don't have to play them . Riverdale beats Farragut by 3 on their home field , we beat them by 21 ... yet it sounds like we should just throw up a white flag since now we will finally play a true " Big Boy " ... even though we heard all year how we were now playing the " Big boys " ....

Something tells me that no matter who we beat .... we will never be a " Big Boy " ... :D

yall are the rue big boys we only have 4 state championships...we are lucky to be here and we are looking forward to coming to your place to play I am anticipating a GREAT time win or lose and I am looking forward to the opportunity to watch my WARRIORS battle the rebels on the field...I just hope we can remain respectable against yall

GO WARRIORS

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MHS82...Our team is a solid team we have several D1 prospects mostly on the line right now...

QB is a SR and is the true WARRIOR on this team he is the leader on and off the field and by his actions he is the heart and soul his name is cody west...

RB we are a wing T team (not a fan of but i hope i am proven wrong this year)we have several Rbs that can run it and take it to the house Adam Davenport and Dequinton Sherrill(he has been hurt most of the season and is just now getting back into the flow of game speed)also fullback gaines has been doing a good job

WR I am really proud of this group led by (in my oppinion)Eric Wallin he has several big catches the past few weeks and made a GRET catch last week even being tackled before the ball got there (of course no flag was thrown so glad he caught it official got caught in the play too it was ugly lol)

OL this OL is VERY STRONG they are very good and did a great job against oakland last week and really controlled that line our OL and DL is probably a strength as we are very good in the trenches

DL see above

LBs our LBs are good led by CJ overton...i have seen some good improvments out of this group the past few weeks and that is a good thing

Secondary our pass defense bends but doenst usually break and they have been doing a good job of hitting the reciever after a catch

kicking game Grayson Powell in my opinion got one of the game balls last week as he really kept us in favorable field position all night and he has been consistant all year with both puinting and kickoffs

Thanks...Good info. i watched the Farragut/RHS video last night. Very impressive looking athletes and team. I look forward to seeing how we can matchup.

RiverdaleMan , Believe me , we are excited to be playing you guys too , all the respect In the world and we see Riverdale as a true " Big Boy " ...

Maryville has been disrespected for years by the East Tn teams who have tried to diminsh Maryville's accomplishments by claiming to be the " Big Boys " that Maryville was SKEERED of . The Knoxville media has picked against Maryville all year , Mark Packer wasn't very impressed with Maryville after the Oak Ridge game , maybe that's why every Knoxville media member picked against Maryville when we played OR , Catholic , Bearden , & Farragut . Ya , I've got a chip on my shoulder , so has the Maryville Football team that Is constantly told they're not that good . The All Star teams are just another example of our boys being disrespected ... teams that have long ago turned in their equipment were well represented on that All star team ..... Maryville has zip .

Looking forward to seeing the Riverdale faithful at Maryville. I feel sure you will find the resturant options and stadium accomodations satisfactory.

Let's hear about the Warrior's strengths and weaknesses. Who are the players to watch.

IMO...here is a breakdown of Maryville.

Strengths....

Coaching Staff...not just Coach Quarles, but he is surrounded by great coaches and fine men.

QB...In my opinion, Phillip Juhlin is the best kept secret in TN...He was overlooked by the East-West Team...his regular season stats were 73% completion rate...17 Tds and 1 Int. He is also a great option QB and is very hard to hit solidly.

Receivers- Romberg (tall/good hands) & Horne (fast/great routes)...3 or 4 others will make catches...Juhlin spreads the ball around.

Running Backs - West and Jones - 2 hard nosed runners, block well, can catch the ball out of the backfield. Not flashy

Secondary - Both corners are exceptional. Bristol is the best I can remember at Maryville 9 ints , 3 for tds. He was also overlooked by the E/W Team. Safeties are great defenders and sure tacklers.

Kicker - Sharp has consistantly put it in the endzone...last few games he hasn't been as consistant...maybe poor turf conditions or colder weather.

Weaknesses - OL and DL are considered weaknesses but without doubt the most improved part of the team!!! The O line is young and small but do the job the coaches ask them to do. Not many sacks this year. D-line is banged up...both tackles are hurt but they will give 110%.

We do not have any major D-1 prospects this year, just a group of kids who have bought into a system and believe their coaches will have them ready for their opponents each week.

Just opinions but I believe they are pretty accurate.

I think that is a pretty accurate assessment. However, the real strength of this team is their mental toughness. They can fumble on the one yard line, get stuffed on a forth down, or be down by 14 or 17 points and they won't skip a beat. The only time I have seen them hang their head was after the Alcoa game. And they didn't do that until the last tick of the clock.

Watching MHS is kind of like watching a James Bond movie. He might be hanging from a helicopter skid or jump out of a plane without a parachute, but he never panics. That is why I think this will be a great game. To beat Maryville you will have to beat the entire team for 48 minutes. I am sure Riverdale will do their level best to achieve that on Friday. It should be High School Football at its best. :D

Pep I will assure you that you will be given full respect from us and our fans we fully understand how hard it is to make it to state and then to win ti as many times as you have is TREMENDOUS i do not care what level...I know yall are very familiar with our coach as i watched yalls games on TV before i headed to MTSU for our state championships games so this should be a real interesting game

I can assure you Riverdale fans are excited to be coming to Maryville. After knocking heads with Blackman and Oakland the players are probably looking forward to playing someone they didn't grow up with and played with or against since their Murfreesboro Mustangs or Raiders days. :D

Maryville fans, our football website is http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/football/index.php I hope to have the Blackman and Oakland pictures up tomorrow.

Both team's year so far:

Maryville (6A) (District 4) (12-1)

-----------------------------------------------------

Week 1) Alcoa (3A) (10-0) 24-41

Week 2) Knoxville West (5A) (4-6) 38-17

Week 3) McMinn County (6A) (8-2) 49-6

Week 4) Heritage (6A) (4-6) 35-0

Week 5) Oak Ridge (6A) (7-3) 21-13

Week 6) Bearden (6A) (8-2) 38-0

Week 7) Knoxville Catholic (5A) (5-5) 28-21

Week 8) Farragut (6A) (8-2) 35-32

Week 9) William Blount (6A) (3-7) 30-0

Week 10) Lenoir City (5A) (2-8) 27-14

Round 1) Dobyns Bennett (5-5) 41-0

Round 2) McMinn Co (9-2) 28-20

Round 3) Farragut (10-2) 35-14

Riverdale (6A) (District 7) (11-2)

-----------------------------------------------------

Week 0) Antioch (6A) (3-7) 35-0

Week 1) Hendersonville (5A) (7-3) 27-28

Week 2) LaVergne (6A) (3-7) 42-7

Week 3) Lincoln County (6A) (3-7) 52-7

Week 4) Oakland (6A) (8-2) 13-10

Week 5) Farragut (6A) (8-2) 20-17

Week 6) Smyrna (6A) (5-5) 30-27

Week 8) Siegel (6A) (5-5) 7-6

Week 9) Cookeville (6A) (7-3) 42-7

Week 10) Blackman (6A) (9-1) 13-14

Round 1) Coffee Co (3-7) 48-0

Round 2) Blackman (10-1) 31-7

Round 3) Oakland (10-2) 14-7

Farragut was (10-0) against the rest of the state and (0-3) versus Maryville and Riverdale. The first Maryville win over Farragut was the same three point difference as the Farragut vs Riverdale game. They won by 21 in the rematch in Round 3.

Riverdale lost by 1 to Blackman in regular season finale but won by 24 in the rematch in round 2.

Maryville won 49-6 over McMinn County in regular season but played a much closer 28-20 game in round 2.

Maryville has played seven games against a team with a winning record. Riverdale has played seven games against a team with a winning record.

Maryville averaged 32.5 a game in the regular season. Riverdale 28.1

Defense? Maryville 14.4, Riverdale 12.3

Post-season?

Maryville 34.7 while giving up 11.3

Riverdale 31.0 and allowing 4.7

Everything above seems to point to two pretty good and apparently evenly matched teams playing 48 minutes of fun football to watch. We will find out how well they are matched up Friday. I just hope the Maryville moms cook a lot of turkey Thursday. Maybe some of the linemen will feel a little sleepy Friday night from the tryptophan?

Looking forward to trip. How can a day get better for football than the Iron Bowl and then Riverdale at Maryville?

I haven't seen Riverdale in a couple of years, and I know they went through a down period after Coach Rankin left in 2005, but it appears that they are back up to form now. From what I get from talking to a coaching friend in Middle Tennessee, Maryville will see Alcoa X 2, in other words speed on defense that closes fast, on offense, Riverdale has a pretty good running game (Wing-T I think) as they racked up a lot of yards against Farragut in mid-season, when they defeated the Admirals at Murfreesboro. Maryville will have to defend against speed as well, and strong lines. Maryville has a good, solid, well coached team, and they are at home, so edges to the Rebels there, but Riverdale will be more like a 6A team then Maryville has seen so far, far more real talent. Turnovers will again have to go the Rebels way for a win. For the most part, 6A on this end of the state was down this year, so they really did not see that type of team. DB is way down, Ooltewah was not as good as thought, Oak Ridge is rebuilding, and Farragut had a good team, but would not have had as many wins in a more up 6A year. AND, As those of us who were in old 5A and now in 6A know, the road to Cookeville goes through the 'Boro teams, you got to beat them to get there. This will be Maryville's toughest test, if they get by this one, they might win it.

Alcoa x 2 .... Hmmm , easy to say when you don't have to play them . Riverdale beats Farragut by 3 on their home field , we beat them by 21 ... yet it sounds like we should just throw up a white flag since now we will finally play a true " Big Boy " ... even though we heard all year how we were now playing the " Big boys " ....

Something tells me that no matter who we beat .... we will never be a " Big Boy " ... :D

yall are the rue big boys we only have 4 state championships...we are lucky to be here and we are looking forward to coming to your place to play I am anticipating a GREAT time win or lose and I am looking forward to the opportunity to watch my WARRIORS battle the rebels on the field...I just hope we can remain respectable against yall

GO WARRIORS

FYI...riverdaleman does not mean a word of the above post...i hate to throw him under the bus because i have grown to love and appreciate him over the last few years and i even fed him some chilli before the riverdale vs. blackman game...and to prove my point here is a copy of the text he just sent me... "RIVERDALE WILL SMOKE MURYVILLE, THE DALE BY 20 AT LEAST, THE FORMER 4A BOYS WILL FIND OUT WHAT IT IS LIKE TO PLAY THE BIG BOYS FROM THE BORO"

dont get mad at me...i'm just the messenger

PBD :D

FYI...riverdaleman does not mean a word of the above post...i hate to throw him under the bus because i have grown to love and appreciate him over the last few years and i even fed him some chilli before the riverdale vs. blackman game...and to prove my point here is a copy of the text he just sent me... "RIVERDALE WILL SMOKE MURYVILLE, THE DALE BY 20 AT LEAST, THE FORMER 4A BOYS WILL FIND OUT WHAT IT IS LIKE TO PLAY THE BIG BOYS FROM THE BORO"

To tell you the truth, if I was home this Friday I would be at this game. My crosstown buddies know how much I love my Tornadoes, but I would be at the Blackhole to see this epic battle. Let's go Red Rebels :D

Dissapointing that a Blackman fan is getting on this site trying to stir up trouble when all posts until now have been respectful on both sides. Nice job supporting your county - regarless of how many texts you got and what they said. You are not playing so if you want to just stir things up between what has been a classy and respectful thread then go someplace else.

Dissapointing that a Blackman fan is getting on this site trying to stir up trouble when all posts until now have been respectful on both sides. Nice job supporting your county - regarless of how many texts you got and what they said. You are not playing so if you want to just stir things up between what has been a classy and respectful thread then go someplace else.

diggerdog...i have a dad and don't need another one! unwind a bit, take a nap, get in the hot tub and relax a little...and read my post again...would i put a text on here that a friend of mine sent?????????????? :D before you go into police mode...THINK...THINK...THINK... ur a little tight Ddog...good gracious...it's called messin with riverdaleman...nothing more and nothing less...