Top 25 Juniors in the STATE

gomab2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coincidently, Helton is #33, and Odom is #34....

Both Helton and Odom can really play, and have the potential of moving up the rankings. Both should have huge years this year.

Again, like I said before....the Class of 2004 is Completely LOADED, so a #33 or so ranking is still very, very good. I see D-1 "prospects" into the high 50's rankings (that obviously doesn't mean 50 kids will sign D-1, but those individuals ranked there have the opportunity to play D-1 ball) in the Class of 2004, compared to the Low 30's rankings in Class of 2003. So, TRUST ME, a Taylor at #23 or an Odom at #34, or a Herring at #43 are not knocks at all. These are very good prospects..... :)

Guest joesmart

i was curios where brian skelton ranked on your list. he is a junior at houston county high school that averaged 16.5 points,9 rebounds, and 3assists on the way to a district championship as a sophomore.

Daniel Singleton did impress me with his play this summer for the Tn Travelers. He has good size, but needs to get a LOT stronger. He has a great outside shot, which makes him such an asset. I see some Lee Humphrey in him when I watched him play, and I look forward to seeing his progress and growth...

Brian Skelton is an interesting case, and he does not have a firm ranking right now, and may not until the middle of the Season. I have not seen him play in a year, and I heard he had improved a great deal. I was NOT impressed at all watching him 4 or 5 times the summer before his Sophomore year, but then he came out with great HS numbers, and other people of opinions I greatly respect said the kid can really play, so...........I don't know :confused: . I can't wait to watch him this winter.....

Considering I had Brian Skelton playing for my Clarksville Magic 16u before he had to quit for personal reasons, I've prolly seen him play lately and I would have to say at this point hes a honorable mention to those other guys for the simple fact of him not playing as much as he should be..Those other guys played a whole spring/summer of AAU and went to high school camps with some going to All American Camps as well.

But Brian is a special case because I think as soon as you write him off he comes back strong and does some good things..I think its hard to put him in a position because hes really not that tall and should play PG but his ball handling and running team skills are suspect, his outside shot isnt up to par, and his strength really wont allow him to play the Small Forward but he CAN DEFINITELY PLAY THE GAME OF BASKETBALL. I've heard people say that he doesnt play any tough competition in Single A but it wouldnt matter he still would get his because thats just the type player he is.

Guest cutnoslack

Where do you have Matt Spencer of Morristown West and Rusty Chambers of Unaka listed. I saw both of these kids play this summer. They are outstanding talent. Spencer can score at will and Chambers was quick off the dribble and jumps really well. He too is an outstanding scorer. I have got to see play most of the players on your list and Chambers and Spencer are two of the best in the East Tennessee are for juniors.

Guest cutnoslack

Chambers and Spencer played AAU baseball this summer but did play some basketball in team camps. If Singleton and Odem are in the top 35, I think when you see these two play this winter you will definitely have them in your top 30 before the season end.

To Gomab: Just wondering how many of the players you have seen play high school ball or are the players put on your list because of aau. The ones I saw on your list are good. I don't know some of the players. Jujuan Smith is very very very talented. There is nobody else on his team so he has to do it all. Sometimes that makes him not look as good but sometimes it makes him look even better than he is in the stats because he has to do all the scoring. I think the same thing with Lee Humphreys. He is very good too but his stats are even better because nobody else does much. Wadley and Skogan have to share the points, assists, and rebounds. If you judge by stats, then that makes them not look as good. BUT they did direct their team to a state championship last year. Hare and Pickel-- same story. They got a lot of glory because they were surrounded by great players, but they did not have the impressive stats because they shared with other good players. Again, they directed their teams to a state tournament game. Will they be able to do that this year? When you look at how good a player is look and see how he performs agains the good teams. Not all players play aau. One junior at the AA level that you might want to check out is Evan McGuire. With some exposure, and a chance to prove himself, he can shoot as good as anyone you have on your list. I am not complaining about your list. Just been reading the messages about the top players and your top juniors. There really are alot of good juniors, there are alot of good freshmen too that you will hear about this year. I do like reading your lists. But I disagree that the talent is better in middle tennessee, not better, but maybe just as good.

[Edited by sportsphan on 9-24-02 1:57P]