Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

white station beat a very mediocre brentwood team. oakland gave them a good beat down, so i see maryville doing the same. 35-14.

How would the Brentwood team we played last night fair against Brentwood Academy? Who is the better team? Here in Memphis, the private schools rank a little higher than most of the public schools. Our only two losses this year were to Christian Brothers and MUS. Is it the same in Nashville? Would Brentwood, MBA, and Ensworth beat this team we played last night? Just asking.

Are you going to sing the praises of D-2 schools with every post?

Should be a great game. White Station will be VERY athletic and is typically very well coached. (Last I saw their bball team was #13 in the country.)

This ain't going to be a cakewalk for Maryville. If they don't play well, they they will have trouble.

Couple of questions for the White Station crowd that I have forgotten.

1. Was it Joe Lee Dunn or Tim Thompson that coached there in 07? (I know Thompson lasted about a month wherever it was.)

2. Has a Memphis City school ever won a gold ball in football? Germantown, Collierville, Millington, and Shelby Co. schools don't count.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

white station beat a very mediocre brentwood team. oakland gave them a good beat down, so i see maryville doing the same. 35-14.

How would the Brentwood team we played last night fair against Brentwood Academy? Who is the better team? Here in Memphis, the private schools rank a little higher than most of the public schools. Our only two losses this year were to Christian Brothers and MUS. Is it the same in Nashville? Would Brentwood, MBA, and Ensworth beat this team we played last night? Just asking.

Are you going to sing the praises of D-2 schools with every post?

Should be a great game. White Station will be VERY athletic and is typically very well coached. (Last I saw their bball team was #13 in the country.)

This ain't going to be a cakewalk for Maryville. If they don't play well, they they will have trouble.

Couple of questions for the White Station crowd that I have forgotten.

1. Was it Joe Lee Dunn or Tim Thompson that coached there in 07? (I know Thompson lasted about a month wherever it was.)

2. Has a Memphis City school ever won a gold ball in football? Germantown, Collierville, Millington, and Shelby Co. schools don't count.

Ok, no more D2 talk from me, just very impressed with the MUS team we played this year. Tim Thompson took over at Ridgeway from Joe Lee Dunn. He lasted through Spring Practice as he was using some illegal players. I think Melrose has won a State Title before, in fact I am sure they have. MUS has won several, they are in the heart of the City of Memphis does that count? You have to remember, Memphis is so big that the way the school system is set up there is just to much talent spread out and the city school coaching is not the best.

I meant to ask if Memphis has won a old AAA, 5A or 6A state title. My bad. Let me rephrase my question -

Has a Memphis public city school ever won a gold ball in the largest classification? I know Melrose won one in 3A (I still contend the 96 Melrose team is the best football team I have ever seen.), and that Germantown has won a few as well. Not putting them down, I just honestly don't know.

Thanks for the clairification on Thompson/Dunn. I get White Stattion and Ridgeway confused a lot, and couldn't remember if all that happened at one school or if it was at both.

You have to remember, Memphis is so big that the way the school system is set up there is just to much talent spread out and the city school coaching is not the best.

You have to remember, Blount county is a just a small blip on the map - yet we've managed to dominate to classifications for years.

I doubt any of the posters on coacht have seen both teams play, so predictions on this game don't carry much weight (especially when they come from a disgruntled Ooltewaaaah fan...)

Good luck to both teams but lets finish this wild ride of a season off with a win Rebels!

Solomon, here you go. P= private.

Past State Football Champions from Memphis:

MUS -4 (P)

Evangelical Christian School (ECS) - 4 (P)

Bishop Bryne - 3 (P)

Melrose -2

Briarcrest - 2 (P)

Germantown- 2

Memphis Central - 1

Christian Brothers - 1 (P)

Memphis Tech - 1

Memphis East - 1

Memphis Catholic - 1 (P)

Hillcrest - 1

Ridgeway - 1

St. George's - 1 (P)

also from the West:

Milan - 4

Jackson -2

From the comments on the Memphis Commercial Appeal website:

"I really believe Maryville doesn't have the competition that the teams in West Tennessee have. In Memphis, the teams are so talented and beat up on each other. I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I don't believe they would be going to the state championship game year after year. Good Luck and bring home that gold ball for the city of Memphis".

..........I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I'd probably have to move. :thumb:

Lets see Maryville has beat teams from the west a few times I know in a lessor class, I guess maybe they will move Maryville back down next re-classification cause there is no way they play with the big boys, oh they only beat Riverdale, oh now they wouldn't be able to hang in the west, maybe a little envy for Maryville they just keep beating teams that they are scheduled to play may lose the championship but why not give the guys credit when they were winning 4-A championships everyone said they wouldn't even make it to state let alone win state in the old 5-A beat everyone needed to, to get there now we'll see if they can play with the big boys, my take is they already have played with big boys nothing to prove win or lose a class football team and school

httytddy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:05 pm

From the comments on the Memphis Commercial Appeal website:

"I really believe Maryville doesn't have the competition that the teams in West Tennessee have. In Memphis, the teams are so talented and beat up on each other. I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I don't believe they would be going to the state championship game year after year. Good Luck and bring home that gold ball for the city of Memphis".

..........I believe if Maryville were on the west side, I'd probably have to move.

--------------

Maryville can compete anywhere(except maybe wilco so they say), I have no idea where this quote is from.