Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

it is probably going to boil down to one thing and that is coaching.

Here we go again... more wins by our coaches. Shame we don't have any good players.

If you could pick 1, which coach would you want to suit it up for 1 more game?

Let it go Old Rebel...This is the same guy who is talking smack about their band in the 6A CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL GAME. :twisted:

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oldrebel -you are typical of a whole lot of oversensitive defensive posters who try to find a "negative" in anything somebody says, turn a compliment into a "dig." The guy didn't say you "don't have any good players" - He predicted "Maryville will win" due to superior coaching. Sounds like you're saying that coaching isn't a big factor. That's foolish. Every weekend you can find a better coached team beating a team that is equal or even superior in speed, size, athleticism, whatever. MBA is a classic example.

Here is what you are going to see.

White Station.......a typical Memphis team that is loaded with athletes and a few future D-1 players. Speed...size...and athletes out of the rear.

Maryville.....rather slow....smallish in comparison....average athletes with futures in academics and possibly a few Division 3 kids.

When the teams run on the field for warm ups the look test will force the line to go up significantly in favor of White Station.....never fails.

BTW...if you think Maryville is about "trick plays" then you need to watch a few games. Maryville's so called trick or junk plays are part of the offense and most are not trick plays unless the defense is tricked... It does make a good excuse for the defense though.

I somewhat agree with your post, although you are engaging in a little poor-mouthing. This year more than in years past your coach has, in my opinion, taken a group of good players and helped them to overachieve. However, you can't fairly say that Aaron Douglas (UT), Brent Burnette (MTSU), Tyler Maples (UT) Cade Thompson (USCar.), Tanner Caylor (UT Martin), Tank Baker (Furman) and many, many more excellent football players MHS has churned out in the past are "average" athletes. Maryville has indeed had more than its fair share of very good players.

As for "trick" plays, another MHS poster on another thread made the very good point that what most people describe as trick plays are in reality unconventional plays that Coach Quarles calls at particularly opportune times. I would agree with that. Nevertheless, in common parlance most folks use the terms "trick" play to denote the same thing.

By the way, go Maryville and make East Tennessee proud once again!

it is probably going to boil down to one thing and that is coaching.

Here we go again... more wins by our coaches. Shame we don't have any good players.

If you could pick 1, which coach would you want to suit it up for 1 more game?

Wow you Maryville fans are sensitive bunch. Good luck to you guys. Sounds like High School football might be the highlight of some. Good grief...........

oldrebel -you are typical of a whole lot of oversensitive defensive posters who try to find a "negative" in anything somebody says, turn a compliment into a "dig." The guy didn't say you "don't have any good players" - He predicted "Maryville will win" due to superior coaching. Sounds like you're saying that coaching isn't a big factor. That's foolish. Every weekend you can find a better coached team beating a team that is equal or even superior in speed, size, athleticism, whatever. MBA is a classic example.

I would counter that our run this year isn't based entirely on coaching. Go ask Riverdale's overhyped D-line if the mashing they took (especially our soph. RT continuously overpowering a mr. football finalist) was b/c of duel of wits between coaches...

I'm keenly aware of the super-genius that is GQ & staff, but those guys haven't suited up this year. I also realize the poster didn't say we don't have good players - I just don't want you fellers driving all the way to Cookeville thinking we're bringing scrubs.

I doubt any of the posters on coacht have seen both teams play, so predictions on this game don't carry much weight (especially when they come from a disgruntled Ooltewaaaah fan...)

Good luck to both teams but lets finish this wild ride of a season off with a win Rebels!

I have. You guys are being too generous with your predictions; this game will not be close. I've seen 35-7 and 35-14. I'm going to make all of my Memphis people mad with this, but forget just scoring 35 points, Maryville will win by 35.

I will be there pulling for White Station and hope they can bring the title to West TN, but I think Maryville is going to win this one easily. I'll say 38-17. But, GO SPARTANS!!!!!!

I'm with you, GoChiefs.

Maryville is an OVERWHELMING favorite, easily! This game is truly "David vs Goliath."

------------------------------------

NOBODY is giving Memphis White Station a "snowball's chance in Hades" to defeat Maryville, including me (sorry WS fans--I am pulling for ya'll; I'm just trying to keep it real)! Herein lies the most interesting thing about this matchup:

These two teams still have to play the game. Anything can happen. Strange things happen in football, even to well-oiled/well-coached teams like Maryville! Every (under)dog has his day. Therefore, I won't be shocked if White Station somehow, someway--miraculously defeats the mighty "Goliath" called Maryville!

White Station's coaching staff likely knows that their team is considered the heavy, heavy underdog. They'll likely use that (if they're wise) to help convince it players that they can just relax, have fun and play hard ...they have nothing to lose.

The pressure sits squarely on Maryville in this game, IMO. Practically everybody expects them to blow-out White Station! Maryville is widely expected to cruise to an easy victory over this Memphis team. Maryville's players know this, in their heart of hearts, even if they won't admit it.

One must wonder.... what will happen, psychologically, to the Maryville player's should the unthinkable unfold: White Station actually going toe-to-toe and point-for-point with Maryville...

It is absolutely imperative that the White Station players BELIEVE that they can defeat Maryville!

While I have absolutely no doubt that Maryville will be thoroughly prepared, if they get overconfident and just dismiss White Station.....that's a very dangerous mind-set! Afterall, most football people believe that West Tennessee teams (especially Memphis) are an automatic "W" for Middle and East Tennessee football teams. So, the very moment that Maryville clobbered Riverdale and WS squeaked by Brentwood....Maryville was instantly crowned the 6A State Champion, in the minds of many!

On thing is for certain: An unlikely White Station victory would have to be considered one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) UPSETS in Tennessee's Championship History!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------

Go White Station. Beat Maryville. :D

I don't think anyone from Maryville Is chalking this up as a win yet . This Is a team that went from taking a pretty good whipping the first game of the year to improving every game to get to where they are now . Last year's Hillsboro loss is still too fresh on everyone's mind to be thinking about cruise control . Philip Juhlin , Buddy Jones , Dane McCoy , and all the other seniors have been great leaders for this very young team this year , and I don't think they're going to allow any letup now . This team has faced adversity , they were behind 24-7 to Farragut , then rolled off 28 straight points , they have been down , and they have roared back like Champions . I expect a battle Sat . night , and even though I don't know much about White Station , I'm sure they are going to put some outstanding Football players out there on the field and we'll get their best shot .