Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Bruce Pearl and Calipari both know where White Station is - current home of Joe Jackson - a top five point guard!

So does Josh Pastner. Jackson has already signed a letter of intent to come play at Memphis.

I agree with kwc.....it would be awesome if the new HC at Memphis could get Brunetti and Hayes to both come to Memphis. Too bad Curtis Steele and Duke Calhoun won't be around next year

I have to smile at the posters that are making Maryville a heavy favorite. I am sure WS is loaded or they wouldn't be in the state title game. Memphis is a talent laden community and to survive and advance from that area is no small feat. Maryville consists of a rag tag bunch with little athleticism and small in comparison to most 6 A teams. Their backfield is average at best. Buddy Jones runs hard and the sophomore, West, is a nice back but neither are dominant. Yes...their QB is very good and their receivers are sure handed and run good patterns but they are not going to burn you deep nor are they going to run over anybody. Their line is small in comparison with a 180 pound center and a 190 pound tackle that is a sophomore. You will see as many as four sophomores on the line at times with three starting.

Defensively Maryville is porous and subject to give up large numbers in the running game. Their defensive line has improved but still not stellar. Linebackers are young with average speed. Defensive backs are good and ball hawk very well. The defense competes at a high rate and plays great assignment ball. It will be interesting to see how well they are able to stop a talented WS team.

If Maryville executes and limits turnovers they will be hard to beat. If they have turnovers this game will be tough for them to win. To understand how far this team has come one would have had to be around at the beginning of the year when in scrimmages against Clinton, Red Bank, and DB they were handled and abused. Alcoa absolutely gutted Maryville the second half and after experiencing that game it is an upset to even consider this Maryville team would be playing for a 6 A championship. The coaching is outstanding but the kids have to make it happen and so far they have. Should be a great game!

It's obvious you don't know much about football. Maryville is one of the best coached, most fundamentally sounds teams year after year. West TN hardly ever do well against teams from the east bracket. WS barely beat a very average Brentwood team that was manhandled by 2 teams from Rutherford Co. Rebels 42-13.

I have to smile at the posters that are making Maryville a heavy favorite. I am sure WS is loaded or they wouldn't be in the state title game. Memphis is a talent laden community and to survive and advance from that area is no small feat. Maryville consists of a rag tag bunch with little athleticism and small in comparison to most 6 A teams. Their backfield is average at best. Buddy Jones runs hard and the sophomore, West, is a nice back but neither are dominant. Yes...their QB is very good and their receivers are sure handed and run good patterns but they are not going to burn you deep nor are they going to run over anybody. Their line is small in comparison with a 180 pound center and a 190 pound tackle that is a sophomore. You will see as many as four sophomores on the line at times with three starting.

Defensively Maryville is porous and subject to give up large numbers in the running game. Their defensive line has improved but still not stellar. Linebackers are young with average speed. Defensive backs are good and ball hawk very well. The defense competes at a high rate and plays great assignment ball. It will be interesting to see how well they are able to stop a talented WS team.

If Maryville executes and limits turnovers they will be hard to beat. If they have turnovers this game will be tough for them to win. To understand how far this team has come one would have had to be around at the beginning of the year when in scrimmages against Clinton, Red Bank, and DB they were handled and abused. Alcoa absolutely gutted Maryville the second half and after experiencing that game it is an upset to even consider this Maryville team would be playing for a 6 A championship. The coaching is outstanding but the kids have to make it happen and so far they have. Should be a great game!

It's obvious you don't know much about football. Maryville is one of the best coached, most fundamentally sounds teams year after year. West TN hardly ever do well against teams from the east bracket. WS barely beat a very average Brentwood team that was manhandled by 2 teams from Rutherford Co. Rebels 42-13.

I think MLREB makes alot of sense. 1st, There's no question Maryville has one of, if not the best overall football program in the state. But any team, if they don't "show up", or get careless with the football, runs the risk of getting beat. That happens all the time at any level of the game. I do expect Maryville to be well prepared and ready for the game. Your predicted blowout might just happen. However, I think we should wait until game day and allow coaches to coach and players to play before we decide outcomes. People tend to forget this is a game, and all of these players are young men trying to do their best to win. There's only one team that will hoist the Gold Ball. But both teams are already winners! Think of all the effort that has gone into building themselves over the years to get to this point. Alot of hard work and sacrifice has gone into becoming a good player that gets labeled as "average". My son, for example, might have average skills, but he has worked his #### off over the years to get as good as he is. He'll show up and do his best. WS may be on the short end of the scoreboard, but that won't make anyone a "loser".

I think most fans need a serious dose of perspective.....

I have to admit I learn a LOT on CoachT. I learned that Brentwood, who was a tipped pass away from getting the chance to get stomped by Maryville, is irrelevant (bigredbigblue) and was manhandled by both Oakland and Blackman. I won't disagree on Oakland but if memory serves, Brentwood was ahead 27-7 with 8 minutes left in the Blackman game. They blew it for sure but manhandled?

Back to the game at hand - Does Maryville blitz much during the game or sit back in coverage? The Bruins rarely pressured the White Station QB with their front four and only blitzed a couple of times. He usually had plenty of time and its hard to cover their receivers that long - plus with his size and athletic ability, he's a dangerous run threat.

Though improbable, I am picking White Station in an upset. In my opinion, the key for a White Station victory lies in their quarterback, Anthony Hayes, playing very smart and not turning the ball over. If he has a very good game running and some success throwing the ball, without turnovers, I like White Station's chances. White Station must have long sustained drives that yield points and eat clock.

This thread is dead, where are all the White Station fans???? Come on we can't let our thread get surpassed by all the offseason threads from all the teams who are at home.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's evident from your comment that you haven't realized as of yet that there are very few White Station fans that post on Coacht. Most of the people who are making pro White Station comments are either City of Memphis high school football fans or they are from the West part of TN and they are pulling for a West TN team to win the game ... which is a small number.