Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

Will Maryville or White station be home team this year?

How well does White Station travel? Will you guys bring a crowd?

Maryville is home according to the bracket. They are both #2 seeds. This year the top of the bracket is home if they are seeded the same. The higher seed would be home if they were different seeds.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though improbable, I am picking White Station in an upset. In my opinion, the key for a White Station victory lies in their quarterback, Anthony Hayes, playing very smart and not turning the ball over. If he has a very good game running and some success throwing the ball, without turnovers, I like White Station's chances. White Station must have long sustained drives that yield points and eat clock.

Fourthree,

While I will not say that White Station will defeat Maryville, I will say that this is an intriguing matchup and a verrrrry tricky game for Maryville!

---------------------------------------------------------

I said a few posts ago and it bears repeating: Maryville is widely considered the OVERWHELMING favorite, for a number of reasons.... They are widely EXPECTED to blow-out White Station. Maryville's players KNOW this. White Station's player's KNOW this. The coaches KNOW this (whether they admit it or not). Heck, practically everybody knows this!

Here is the interesting thing:

Maryville is NOT a physically overpowering team, not by any stretch of the imagination. They are definitely no South Panola! Therefore, they will not be able to just line up and physically maul White Station all up and down the field, on both sides of the ball! Maryville's strength is execution, not muscle mass and beef. It is much easier, IMO, to overwhelm a team when you can just out-muscle them vs out-executing them.

White Station is no small, weak or sloppy team. Sure, they are widely considered to be the heavy underdog. Regardless on what one thinks of WS' opponents, WS did not get elected into the 6A Finals; they earned their (improbable) way into the Championship game by out-executing their 4 previous playoff opponents, when it mattered most--in the fourth quarter... White Station actually has a solid football team and is fully equipped and capable of defeating this Goliath of a team, Maryville.

Forget about all that comparative-score, "West Tennessee football" vs "East Tennessee football" crap. Football is all about matchups.

---------------------------------------------------

CAUTION #1: White Station actually matches up very well with Maryville! Anything can happen in this game. Don't be surprised....

CAUTION #2: Upsets happen in sports all the time. There are numerous examples...

-- I suggest that a large percentage of those "upsets" are the result of the so-called "heavy underdog" actually matching-up more favorably, with the "overwhelming favorite."

CAUTION #3: ( see "caution #1")

Fourthree,

While I will not say that White Station will defeat Maryville, I will say that this is an intriguing matchup and a verrrrry tricky game for Maryville!

---------------------------------------------------------

I said a few posts ago and it bears repeating: Maryville is widely considered the OVERWHELMING favorite, for a number of reasons.... They are widely EXPECTED to blow-out White Station. Maryville's players KNOW this. White Station's player's KNOW this. The coaches KNOW this (whether they admit it or not). Heck, practically everybody knows this!

Here is the interesting thing:

Maryville is NOT a physically overpowering team, not by any stretch of the imagination. They are definitely no South Panola! Therefore, they will not be able to just line up and physically maul White Station all up and down the field, on both sides of the ball! Maryville's strength is execution, not muscle mass and beef. It is much easier, IMO, to overwhelm a team when you can just out-muscle them vs out-executing them.

White Station is no small, weak or sloppy team. Sure, they are widely considered to be the heavy underdog. Regardless on what one thinks of WS' opponents, WS did not get elected into the 6A Finals; they earned their (improbable) way into the Championship game by out-executing their 4 previous playoff opponents, when it mattered most--in the fourth quarter... White Station actually has a solid football team and is fully equipped and capable of defeating this Goliath of a team, Maryville.

Forget about all that comparative-score, "West Tennessee football" vs "East Tennessee football" crap. Football is all about matchups.

---------------------------------------------------

CAUTION #1: White Station actually matches up very well with Maryville! Anything can happen in this game. Don't be surprised....

CAUTION #2: Upsets happen in sports all the time. There are numerous examples...

-- I suggest that a large percentage of those "upsets" are the result of the so-called "heavy underdog" actually matching-up more favorably, with the "overwhelming favorite."

CAUTION #3: ( see "caution #1")

TraderB:

I don't know a whole lot about Maryville's current team but I do realize that they have been playing very good offensively as of late. I know that GQ is innovative when it comes to match-ups. I remember when I went to see Melrose play against them and lost 6-7. If my memory serves me correct, GQ used an offense in that game that they hadn't used all year. If I remember correctly ... they ran a veer with the QB running it quite a bit ... and that wasn't what Maryville's offense had been doing all year. They implemented that strategy to counter the team speed of the Melrose defense. If I am wrong I'm sure there is a knowledgeable Maryville fan that will correct me. It should also be noted that in that game the Maryville 'D' didn't allow Graig Cooper (now the RB @ Miami) to run wild ... he had respectable numbers ... but nothing gaudy. However ... this White Station team isn't that Melrose team and this Maryville team isn't that Maryville team of the past. I just mentioned that to illustrate how crafty GQ can be at making adjustments.

I think QB play is going to be crucial and both teams have very good ones. By the way, congratulations to Anthony Hayes on winning the Mr. Football award. I think this game is going to be cliche'. It may come down to who has the ball last. I think this is going to be a game that is worth the price of admission. Both teams have playmakers and both teams have top notch QB's. This is going to be a very good game indeed.

Spartansfan , I agree , all these kids are champs!

Now I can guarantee one thing , MARYVILLE will be as prepared as they can get, just as they are every Friday night for anyone the meet. As far as physicality goes... I watched them push around some "BIG BOYS" this season, don't let the lack of size fool ya. GO REBELS!!!!!!

TraderB:

I'm just curious now. Why do you think White Station's appearence in the State Finals to be improbable? Logically speaking ... the handwriting has been on the wall for the past 3 or four seasons. Prior to 2005, White Station was consistently getting put out of the playoffs in the 2nd round under former coach Wright. Coach Wright's final two seasons in 2006 and 2007 ended with losses in the semi-finals and then the quarter-finals respectively. Then last year under the the current coach in his first season they made it back to the semi-finals. When you think about it ... there appearence in this years finals isn't improbable at all. Throw in the fact that coach Rutherford knew coming into the season that he had a good team (He said so himself) he scheduled the hardest schedule he could arrange adding the likes of MUS and Christian Brothers to to accompany the rigors of playing the elite and powerful teams in District 16 (The SEC West of TN High School Football). Having made it through that gauntlett ... I find that their appearence in this finals game isn't as improbable as some whould have you think. White Station has taken on the biggest and baddest they could schedule ... they are ready for this game.

I'm just curious.

Maryville is NOT a physically overpowering team, not by any stretch of the imagination.

We may be small in some spots - but go ask the hosses at Riverdale just how physical Maryville was Friday night. I'd say the general consensus is that we mashed them pretty well.

Exactly, big doesn't always mean physical. This is where all the conditioning and weight lifting comes into play. Maryville has an excellent system and it went into overdrive once the amazing Don Story athletic center was built. Those kids are ready and will be able to match up with anyone White Station lines up. All the talk last week was about how big Riverdale was and how they would control the line of scrimmage and they were run off the ball all night.

Well I don't know if Maryville is widely considered the OVERWHELMING favorite or not. Maybe in some circles.

I expect Maryville to win but I can assure you Maryville's players know what this game is about and what it takes to win it. They are not looking for White Station to lie down. They have earned a birth into the SC on their own accolades. But the SC game is an event all its own and is not like the normal game. Being ready to win is something most teams only think they are ready to do. The Rebels will not only be physically prepared but mentally as well. IMO the mental game is where championship games are decided. Execution and reaction is a function of the mental side of things. Physically there is not a great deal of difference between 16, 17 & 18 year olds physically but, where it counts is up in the helmet. Sure size and speed are major factors but I'll take they kid who ready up stairs over a stronger less mentally prepared player.

Maryville has played and won and lost this game. They know they can and are convinced they will win. WS thinks they can win, there is a difference there IMO.

IF WS turns the ball over more that 3 times, Maryville will make them pay like they did to Riverdale and Farragut. Two very good, larger and faster teams noted in Maryville’s loss columns.

TraderB:

I'm just curious now. Why do you think White Station's appearence in the State Finals to be improbable? Logically speaking ... the handwriting has been on the wall for the past 3 or four seasons. Prior to 2005, White Station was consistently getting put out of the playoffs in the 2nd round under former coach Wright. Coach Wright's final two seasons in 2006 and 2007 ended with losses in the semi-finals and then the quarter-finals respectively. Then last year under the the current coach in his first season they made it back to the semi-finals. When you think about it ... there appearence in this years finals isn't improbable at all. Throw in the fact that coach Rutherford knew coming into the season that he had a good team (He said so himself) he scheduled the hardest schedule he could arrange adding the likes of MUS and Christian Brothers to to accompany the rigors of playing the elite and powerful teams in District 16 (The SEC West of TN High School Football). Having made it through that gauntlett ... I find that their appearence in this finals game isn't as improbable as some whould have you think. White Station has taken on the biggest and baddest they could schedule ... they are ready for this game.

I'm just curious.

One reason: The Middle Tennessee "hump (MTH)!"

-----------------------------------------------------

While White Station proved to be the best Public School in Memphis, their route to the State Championship game had to go thru Middle Tennessee--the teams that have almost always ended the season of all our previous, ultra talented Memphis-area squads. They routinely exposed our teams as frauds--pretenders, not bona-fide Championship contenders!

As you pointed out, White Station's beefed-up schedule prepared them extremely well for a Championship run! Those tough battles clearly paid major dividends for White Station, as demonstrated by them getting over that dreaded MTH.

White Station is bona-fide. I agree--they are very much ready for Maryville. :wacko:

More of our area teams should follow White Station's approach of scheduling elite teams, instead of a bunch of "cup-cakes!" Kudos to East's coach. He did schedule a brutal, very brutal schedule. Unfortunately, they just ran out of gas---too many two-way players, no doubt.

While most folks in Middle and East Tennessee readily dismiss the quality of West Tennessee (especially Memphis) football, the playoff success of District 16 teams is no coincidence or the result of a "lucky charm;" it is bona-fide evidence of the inherent strength of those squads, and further underscores the merit of playing tough teams. D16 teams are probably going to continue to do well, in the postseason, in the future.....especially if they also continue to schedule tough, out-of-conference foes.

---------------------------------------------

Warning: White Station -- watch out for Maryville's TRICK PLAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I don't know if Maryville is widely considered the OVERWHELMING favorite or not. Maybe in some circles.

I expect Maryville to win but I can assure you Maryville's players know what this game is about and what it takes to win it. They are not looking for White Station to lie down. They have earned a birth into the SC on their own accolades. But the SC game is an event all its own and is not like the normal game. Being ready to win is something most teams only think they are ready to do. The Rebels will not only be physically prepared but mentally as well. IMO the mental game is where championship games are decided. Execution and reaction is a function of the mental side of things. Physically there is not a great deal of difference between 16, 17 & 18 year olds physically but, where it counts is up in the helmet. Sure size and speed are major factors but I'll take they kid who ready up stairs over a stronger less mentally prepared player.

Maryville has played and won and lost this game. They know they can and are convinced they will win. WS thinks they can win, there is a difference there IMO.

IF WS turns the ball over more that 3 times, Maryville will make them pay like they did to Riverdale and Farragut. Two very good, larger and faster teams noted in Maryville’s loss columns.

Excellent points! I agree 100%.

Our Memphis White Station Spartans clearly have a monumental mental challenge ahead of them, playing against Maryville--a team that has already been there, done that..

Exactly, big doesn't always mean physical. This is where all the conditioning and weight lifting comes into play. Maryville has an excellent system and it went into overdrive once the amazing Don Story athletic center was built. Those kids are ready and will be able to match up with anyone White Station lines up. All the talk last week was about how big Riverdale was and how they would control the line of scrimmage and they were run off the ball all night.

Personally, I have much admiration for Maryville's overall system. It's a proven winner and clearly helps them routinely overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.

I'm a huge proponent--that our Memphis area teams could benefit enormously from implementing a blueprint, similar to Maryville's.... I think that I've read before, on this board--how Maryville's feeder Schools run the same system, amongst a host of other things, as the High School.

Until such time, our teams should at least continue to schedule tough out-of-conference opponents, such as South Panola, Olive Branch, MUS, CBHS, etc.