1A State Championship: South Pittsburg vs. Union City

powerp

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great game won by a great team. UC showed that it had the right stuff today. I'm at a loss for words.Our (SP) poster's should all take a lesson today. One of humility. Our team played their hearts out. But UC was the team of destiny today. What a contrasts of teams. Very well played,on both sides. The Pirates will be back. Congrats to the UC community and coaching staff. Maybe we will still respect our young men,win lose,or draw like we should. Hope we don't play the blame game this after this 1.

I hope there isn't any blame game being played either considering Robinson still hasn't scored on that first touchdown, that SP kid's knee was down on that pass play and a SP player tackled Jacob Worley (#11) on the two-point conversion...The only thing the Pirate fanbase can remotely argue is the personal foul penalty near the end of the game but the SP kid did push Bowling while he was on the ground but nobody heard what he said while he was pushing Bowling in the turf...

It was a great game...5 penalties in all called on both teams combined....

Union City ran 70 plays.....69 of those run plays...They lost 5 yards in 69 carries....Josh Nicks had 47 carries....Out of all those carries he only lost 1 yard....UC had 32 mins plus of TOP to SP's 15 mins plus...SP KNEW UC couldn't pass and they still couldn't stop the run....That vaunted SP defense we all kept hearing about got run over, around and thru.......That speedy SP defense couldn't catch that slow #28 for Union City on those speed sweep plays either ....There are no excuses when you get manhandled by a team's offensive line...

I don't remember you personally making all those crazy predictions but there were plenty of your fellow Pirate Nation brothers and maybe sisters that did....There is Crow Supper of huge proportions that will be served on here the next day or so and with good reason ....

I hope Roy Dillard got his answer about whether or not Union City lifted any weights and also hope the Tornadoes earned enough respect to be called by their actual name...Union City...Not just Union or Onion City....Cute but a complete lack of respect for the opponent...

If he would have read that Murphy Fair book a little closer he would have seen that the Tornadoes lift weights and alot of them.....I don't remember seeing one Union City player limp off the field...I saw numerous SP players sprawled out or limp off...Thank goodness all of them, that I remember, came back and played..Maybe THEY need to hit the weights a little more....Did anybody else hear that one of the coaches for SP said that the injury to #21 was more or less in his head ??..I :D at that....

What a classless post about #21...you lost all respect from me by bashing a player that played his heart out. Your great tornado team could not stop him or #6 so I see it as even between them and your big running back.

1994 Pirate posted....

"What a classless post about #21...you lost all respect from me by bashing a player that played his heart out. Your great tornado team could not stop him or #6 so I see it as even between them and your big running back."

Sorry but it wasn't me bro...Murphy Fair asked one of YOUR coaches about the extent of #21's injury....YOUR coach basically told Murphy Fair it was all in the kids head and Fair reported that..Sometimes he limps...Soemtimes he don't...

Take it up with YOUR coaching staff...I wasn't bashing anyone...Get your big boy pants on and take off those politically correct ones...

Oh and By the way....I said thank goodness all the players returned to the field...Had any of them been hurt seriously I never would have posted anything about anyone being hurt...They all came back and played... :thumb:

the difference in the game was sp unable to slow down uc at all/especally in the second half/the 3 man d line cost us again/1a football is not sec you dont have to be pertty but you need to be physical/no doubt if we used a 6-2 d line with guards, in the gaps and tackles we could have slowed them down but we didnt even try/well its on to bball now a sport nobody likes,the pirates had a great year and what happened tonight was what happened against polk they just had to much physical players,

THE 3 MAN LINE COST US

WELL WE SHOULD BE LOADED AGAIN NEXT YEAR BUT THE SPREAD WILL HAVE TO GO/#6 WILL BE GONE AND WE WONT HAVE HIM TO RUN IT/#12 WILL DO FINE IN OUR OLD OFFENCE/CONGRADS TO UC THEY TOOK THE GOLD

What a great game between two determined teams. Both left all the had on the field and unfortunately one had to lose. Union City has a very boring offense but it worked to perfection today. Big ole #27 gained 3-4 yards on just about every play. SP has struggled all year against physical teams. Congratulations to UC on a big win. The only thing I don't agree with is that UC dominated the game. If they did, they would not have given up 28 points. The Pirates beat themselves today with two turnovers and poor tackling. If Malcolm does not drop the pass in the endzone on the first series, the Pirates are up 21-7 at halftime.

The Pirates played their hearts out and have nothing to be ashamed of tonight. The seniors did a great job leading this team all year and will be missed. The underclassmen need to step up, work hard in the off season, and prepare for next season.

UC has a quality team. I know some of our SP faithful were predicting a blowout but don't bash the team. Anyone that gets on here and laughs at players being injured is a sick individual. Our boys played hard and just came up a little short this year. Anyone that is happy that they lost and bashs SP is just jealous...plain and simple. Very few 1A teams can graduate talented seniors like we have the last two years and be back in the State game.

One more thing....these fellars coming out of the woodworks saying that their team could handle SP are really funny. If they could handle SP, why were they not on the opposite side of the field??? Oh, yeah they were beaten by UC or by someone UC put out of the playoffs. Congrats UC...you earned the win today.

Nicks played a great game and put the game on his back. UC got all their yards on the ground. The team that the trash talking fans thought was so good could not stop UC. You think I 'm joking cause I am not.

And after all of that, it came down to a Spanish exchange student soccer player to kick a FG with 6 seconds on the clock. UC played a great game and won it. However, a 2 pt game at the buzzer isn't exactly and azz-kicking.

I did not say it was an azz kicking. SP did not win and they could not stop the run. It doesn't matter how UC won, the bottom line is that they are state champs...not SP.

It may have only been 31-29, but if you ask those boys on defense for SP, they would tell you it felt like an azz-kicking. :thumb:

1994 Pirate posted....

"Anyone that gets on here and laughs at players being injured is a sick individual."....

Again 94....I was not laughing at the kid getting hurt...That would be awful...I laughed at the comment YOUR coach made to Murphy Fair....YOUR coach told MF that the injury to #21 was in his head...Sometimes he limps...Sometimes he don't....That's what they reported on TV....The kid came right back out on the field...He would limp around to the huddle but then when he would run out to his position and run a route he did so without a limp....

Actually to me, it looked serious when he went out of the game...To me it looked like an achilles injury and that would have been real bad....The way he pulled up and his leg straightened out and the way he grabbed at his ankle area...I'm glad he wasn't hurt...The kid is a good player, very fast...

I told a SP poster back on the UC/WC thread that it would not be a Grace team coming to Cookeville. All I read on this thread was posts about 50-0 SP, running clocks, speed kills, and UC was a basketball school. There were two good teams on that field today and the best team won regardless of what powerp and others may say. I coached for 21 years and I know that the best athletes do not always make the best TEAM. By the way, if those two teams could play 4 more times, UC would win some of those. I saw several SP players have to leave the field in the second half. For those that don't know or have never played a physically superior team, that usually comes from being tired and frustrated. Congratulations to UC and hold your heads up SP, at least the superior TEAM today won.

Old Pirate, you and a handful of other posters from SP were classy this week and gracious in defeat. I look forward to reading your thoughts next year. UC, you guys were not your usual boastful selves this week. Congtats again.

I told a SP poster back on the UC/WC thread that it would not be a Grace team coming to Cookeville. All I read on this thread was posts about 50-0 SP, running clocks, speed kills, and UC was a basketball school. There were two good teams on that field today and the best team won regardless of what powerp and others may say. I coached for 21 years and I know that the best athletes do not always make the best TEAM. By the way, if those two teams could play 4 more times, UC would win some of those. I saw several SP players have to leave the field in the second half. For those that don't know or have never played a physically superior team, that usually comes from being tired and frustrated. Congratulations to UC and hold your heads up SP, at least the superior TEAM today won.

Old Pirate, you and a handful of other posters from SP were classy this week and gracious in defeat. I look forward to reading your thoughts next year. UC, you guys were not your usual boastful selves this week. Congtats again.

I was going to post the same thing about the players going off the field but some might deem that classless.....That's what happens though...Spot on with that comment...

I had/have alot of respect for the South Pittsburg program...They got it going on over there...I have been on these boards since 2003 and had never seen such a lack of respect from a fanbase in this type of game as some SPitt people had for Union City...Most got into the habit of calling Union City "Union"..Wouldn't even say the right name...That's a TOTAL lack of respect for an opponent...I'm sure that to some extent the coaching staff and players from SPitt had some of the same feelings about Union City this week..I doubt they do now...