Sullivan South Offseason Thread

WaCoJaCo

The Optimist coaches for the Chargers over the years (with an exception or two) get too little credit for the success South has had. With the parents assistance the kids are taught discipline, hard work, sportsmanship, and basic play making and the importance of winning. They get them ready for each team, each week with different schemes that are more complicated than I have seen at the South freshman or junior varsity level. They work for nothing but an occasional thank you and the satisfaction they get seeing their young prodigies in action on Friday nights. This dedication extends to the CHMS coaching staff who start the fine tuning in 8th grade.

This in no way is meant to disparage the Sullivan coaches. They too work hard for no pay to try to compete. I would suggest, however, they send a spy over to Charger practice next year and copy anything they can.

Every time a South W goes on the board, SC, staff, fans and school need to look up in the stands for the Charger coaches and give a hearty thumbs up. If Science Hill has this kind of dedication in the community for youth football that Colonial Heights has he will do well there, if he goes. At the risk of bludgeoning by the know-it-alls on here, if he does not have this support, he will struggle.

Its pretty rare that any school can compete in all sports. Science Hill is a basketball and baseball school, despite the fact they have 2000+ students I don't see it as a football school. Stacy has built the strongest program in the area over the past few years, hes an alum, he has IT here. We finished #1 in the NET football rankings this year according to TriCitiesSports.com (and i'm pretty sure we've been #1 or #2 the past few years). He doesn't need the challenge of rebuilding. We've still got two monkeys on our back. One is chasing the gold ball and the other, well we all know that one. I don't think he will go, or at least i hope. Plus, with the latest reclassification, he won't have to go through Maryville at South, but will if he goes to SH.

81...I really don't believe he will go either but you have to look at the big picture. My understanding is he will take practically the whole staff with him. That is pretty powerful when you consider everyones future. It's pretty devistating when you consider the position South will be left with. South obviously will not be able to replace him. The money is just not there. So securing his whole staff a 25% pay increase is a rather important consideration not to mention his salary will double. South cannot and will not compete with this. A brand new stadium, 10th largest high school in the state, athletes walking the halls wilting away, a free hand...a pretty compelling situation. The flip side is the desertion of his alma mater. Go or stay? What would you do? Remember...this is about as honorable a man as can be found. I personally feel you need look no further than his record in the playoffs.

[list=]2005 - Curt Phillips against Mo West - Three delay of game penalties because her couldn't see. Playing with a 105 degree temp.

[list=]2007 - Curt Phillips against Maryville - The patented roll out sweep just didn't work. But we kept running it.

[list=]2008 - Taylor Fletcher against Greeneville - Three overtimes. No one else touched the ball but #15.

[list=]2009 - Aaron St. Clair and Bobye Taylor against Columbia - The middle was locked down. But we kept running the middle.

My point...He stays the course. He takes the flack. He is the George Patton of High School Football. He will win with his plan or he will die trying. Sooner or later that ultimate sacrifice mentality will infect someone and then he will kick the door down.

No he is not finished yet. :popcorneater:

Just one point comp, if he does leave and he takes the whole coaching staff with him, that would mean Johnson City schools would have to find teaching positions for every single one of his coaches. How do you make those open up? JC Schools does not have as many teachers in the county as Sullivan or Washington, and the pay up there has to be higher than the county schools. Forcing people into retirement? Creating positions out of thin air? Just so they can have a football team? I don't think so, school systems are in the business of educating people, not winning football games. Taking a couple of coaches, I could see that possible if they have people scheduled for retirement...but you can't take a staff of say..what's the number 8 in all and suddenly have jobs for them. Not in this economy no way. Again, I know this is just saying what you have heard, but whoever told you pretty much is doing wishful thinking. If football is what becomes more important than spending money for a students education, then we have a problem here. Whoever going there goes...sure there is that position open...taking a lot more JUST for football....that is insane. The school board and taxpayers of JC are not going to be happy if suddenly we spent 8 million on a stadium and half a million on a coaching staff with created positions.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quo

Just one point comp, if he does leave and he takes the whole coaching staff with him, that would mean Johnson City schools would have to find teaching positions for every single one of his coaches. How do you make those open up? JC Schools does not have as many teachers in the county as Sullivan or Washington, and the pay up there has to be higher than the county schools. Forcing people into retirement? Creating positions out of thin air? Just so they can have a football team? I don't think so, school systems are in the business of educating people, not winning football games. Taking a couple of coaches, I could see that possible if they have people scheduled for retirement...but you can't take a staff of say..what's the number 8 in all and suddenly have jobs for them. Not in this economy no way. Again, I know this is just saying what you have heard, but whoever told you pretty much is doing wishful thinking. If football is what becomes more important than spending money for a students education, then we have a problem here. Whoever going there goes...sure there is that position open...taking a lot more JUST for football....that is insane. The school board and taxpayers of JC are not going to be happy if suddenly we spent 8 million on a stadium and half a million on a coaching staff with created positions.

Ah but you forget the added benefits. Next flood in downtown, Coach Stacy turns the water to wine........................................Parteeeeeeey!

Word is that Stacy Carter was interviewed for the Science Hill job. I don't think they will choose him though. He has that one big black mark on his record that keep's him out. I think they will go with Mike Turner (Carson Newman assistant). He's still part of the Topper family and I think he has beat DB at least once. Carter will be better off at South anyway. People can preach all they want about the talent in Johnson City. I just don't see it. Not in Football. The people over there just don't support it. Look back at their entire football history. Ever once in awhile they have a good team, thats about it. This new stadium will not help their football program one bit. ETSU tried the same thing with the Dome. How'd that work out? The people in Johnson City just don't support football. Theres more football talent in Kingsport in one year than there is in Johnson City in five years. The money might not be as good at South but he has a job for life there. It would be 3 and out at Science Hill.

To those of you who have made comments about our non-starters, shame on you! This is a team in every definition of the word! Each one of the Rebels contributed EVERY STEP OF THE WAY to each win! I love and respect each one of them for their dedication and helping each day in practice to improve our teams performance. To those of you who do not understand this...don't bother to tell me you are a rebel fan or for that matter do you know much about football or playing a team sport!

To those of you who have complained about playing time may I remind you that this is a sport and it is by definition a very competitive sport. Like all sports the objective is to win therefore utilizing your best performers is obvious, right? I would concur with Compusat in regards to a strong work ethic and his example of Steven Hopkins who's legacy IS the definition of dedication. Furthermore, if you are looking for a venue for your athlete to acquire more skill, strength, and build sheer muscle mass I would suggest wrestling. SSHS has a great wrestling program with daily practices off season that is well suited to develop linemen, running backs, linebackers or virtually any position. One other feature of this sport that should appeal to those of you looking for you child to have a starring role is that EVERYONE wrestles and has their 2 minutes on the mat matched with someone in their weight group.

To those of you who have complained about the pigskin parents my question is, where were you? Did you blow up the tunnel and take it down at home games? Did you help with directing parking, setting up the pilons pre game take them down post game? Did you sell rebel apparell before, during games or on Fridays during the school day? Did you help to prepare, serve, pick up the pregame meal? Did you order/pick up and set up food in our press boxes for news media/referees/coaches during home games? Did you offer your expertise in painting the football field on Wednesday nights prior to home games? Did you help lay the new flooring for the weight room? Were you a part of the work teams who painted and provided general maintenance to our Carl Matherly stadium? Let me guess???....Yeah, I thought NOT!

Now, concerning MY rebels, they are awesome and I love them every one! They suffered a horrific loss this year loosing a most special young man who they loved and respected. This team had to keep playing ball week after week with little time to morn their friend and if you think that is easy you obviously have never lost a loved one or friend. Suffice to say, this 09 team was made up of some very strong individuals who as a team were able to pull through adversity like NO team at south has ever had to endure! As individuals this team is composed of athletes who excell in academics as well as other sports including; basketball, baseball, wrestling, track. Additionally, the talent of these boys is amazing with several involved with musical theatre (and to those who missed Oklahoma! you missed a heck of a musical that starred several players as characters and or production behind the scenes!) Several still are involved in band and choir, others are talented in art, graphic arts, languages, and clubs. I am proud of our talented rebels! These boys will be successful on and off the field! In 28 years South has had a number of football coaches. Fond memories of many! South has proven success under each with a winning tradition that continues to this day. What some of you seem to have forgotten is that this is high school football, these are young men, this is their time! Let them enjoy, cheer them on, and support them in any way you can. GO REBELS!

To those of you who have made comments about our non-starters, shame on you! This is a team in every definition of the word! Each one of the Rebels contributed EVERY STEP OF THE WAY to each win! I love and respect each one of them for their dedication and helping each day in practice to improve our teams performance. To those of you who do not understand this...don't bother to tell me you are a rebel fan or for that matter do you know much about football or playing a team sport!

To those of you who have complained about playing time may I remind you that this is a sport and it is by definition a very competitive sport. Like all sports the objective is to win therefore utilizing your best performers is obvious, right? I would concur with Compusat in regards to a strong work ethic and his example of Steven Hopkins who's legacy IS the definition of dedication. Furthermore, if you are looking for a venue for your athlete to acquire more skill, strength, and build sheer muscle mass I would suggest wrestling. SSHS has a great wrestling program with daily practices off season that is well suited to develop linemen, running backs, linebackers or virtually any position. One other feature of this sport that should appeal to those of you looking for you child to have a starring role is that EVERYONE wrestles and has their 2 minutes on the mat matched with someone in their weight group.

To those of you who have complained about the pigskin parents my question is, where were you? Did you blow up the tunnel and take it down at home games? Did you help with directing parking, setting up the pilons pre game take them down post game? Did you sell rebel apparell before, during games or on Fridays during the school day? Did you help to prepare, serve, pick up the pregame meal? Did you order/pick up and set up food in our press boxes for news media/referees/coaches during home games? Did you offer your expertise in painting the football field on Wednesday nights prior to home games? Did you help lay the new flooring for the weight room? Were you a part of the work teams who painted and provided general maintenance to our Carl Matherly stadium? Let me guess???....Yeah, I thought NOT!

Now, concerning MY rebels, they are awesome and I love them every one! They suffered a horrific loss this year loosing a most special young man who they loved and respected. This team had to keep playing ball week after week with little time to morn their friend and if you think that is easy you obviously have never lost a loved one or friend. Suffice to say, this 09 team was made up of some very strong individuals who as a team were able to pull through adversity like NO team at south has ever had to endure! As individuals this team is composed of athletes who excell in academics as well as other sports including; basketball, baseball, wrestling, track. Additionally, the talent of these boys is amazing with several involved with musical theatre (and to those who missed Oklahoma! you missed a heck of a musical that starred several players as characters and or production behind the scenes!) Several still are involved in band and choir, others are talented in art, graphic arts, languages, and clubs. I am proud of our talented rebels! These boys will be successful on and off the field! In 28 years South has had a number of football coaches. Fond memories of many! South has proven success under each with a winning tradition that continues to this day. What some of you seem to have forgotten is that this is high school football, these are young men, this is their time! Let them enjoy, cheer them on, and support them in any way you can. GO REBELS!

:thumb::roflol::lol: Thanks for this post Mom, true Rebel spirit.

Word is that Stacy Carter was interviewed for the Science Hill job. I don't think they will choose him though. He has that one big black mark on his record that keep's him out. I think they will go with Mike Turner (Carson Newman assistant). He's still part of the Topper family and I think he has beat DB at least once. Carter will be better off at South anyway. People can preach all they want about the talent in Johnson City. I just don't see it. Not in Football. The people over there just don't support it. Look back at their entire football history. Ever once in awhile they have a good team, thats about it. This new stadium will not help their football program one bit. ETSU tried the same thing with the Dome. How'd that work out? The people in Johnson City just don't support football. Theres more football talent in Kingsport in one year than there is in Johnson City in five years. The money might not be as good at South but he has a job for life there. It would be 3 and out at Science Hill.

Pretty good thoughts there.

I've changed my mind, that job isn't for Coach Carter. It's one thing to be pationate about football and being a great coach, it's another to be passionate about coaching at the school you want to win a championship. I think he is better off staying at South, bringing home titles and moving those kids forward. Forget JC, they are on their own. The community hasn't supported the team and actually got in players faces for one thing or another. They don't deserve coaches like Carter, Jenkins, or anyone else on that list.

its all about the chms boys and who the pigskin pparents say who should and shouldnt play its a fact

Fact?? If there are 100 people that read this today, 98 of them, no 99 (all except you) of them, even little "Billy"---are saying, "Idiot". You may be a fine, upstanding member of our South Community, deserving of the upmost respect-----but that statement destroyed it all, because only an idot would believe that. But, no harm, you are safe. Think about changing your name there slugger.

Better yet, get involved with the Pigskin Parents, make a contribution, and see what those folks really do. Oh, by the way--come on and be truthful---did you donate this year to your son's pregame meals? or did I donate this year to your son's pregame meals?. I'm just saying-------------Get on board--Woo-Woo!!!!!!!!!! If you are a father of a player, I'd be willing to bet that he has the same attitude. The pigskin parents are losing alot of good folks this year and if you want to make a difference, there's your chance---if not, just keep up with the "woe is me" verbage. There are alot of good people from Sullivan Gardens and fine young men. Don't insult them with this garbage. I'm just saying:::::

you didnt pay for my boy he hasnt played for south for 2 years,,,,,,, so now its all about how much money you got... i dont care what happens at south i'll still go watch.... ppl like you paying a kids pregame meal than and letting everyone know makes you a good guy....cause of u i beat everyone knows the kid that you paid his meals.... so why dont you go ask the kid for your money back... than maybe you want be so rude to the kid

I have read this entire thread and have smiled many times seeing boys names I have known and watched grow up on the gridiron. I helped coach against Coach Garvin the 1st 3 years he coached the jv county Chargers and we knew all year this was our must win game. The talent level never went down and he always brought them ready to play. So knowing the boys from those teams and the added talent from SW I don't see a lot of drop of in talent from the 9th, 10th & 11 graders at South. I am no CH lover but I really respect their program and their parent & community support. With that any coach will do well. One good thing about South coming down in size, is that we can start the North South bowl back up. Congrats to Souths boys on a great year.

GO RAIDERS

I have read this entire thread and have smiled many times seeing boys names I have known and watched grow up on the gridiron. I helped coach against Coach Garvin the 1st 3 years he coached the jv county Chargers and we knew all year this was our must win game. The talent level never went down and he always brought them ready to play. So knowing the boys from those teams and the added talent from SW I don't see a lot of drop of in talent from the 9th, 10th & 11 graders at South. I am no CH lover but I really respect their program and their parent & community support. With that any coach will do well. One good thing about South coming down in size, is that we can start the North South bowl back up. Congrats to Souths boys on a great year.

GO RAIDERS

There was talk after the '07 season that the '08's probably couldn't be as strong. They were sidewinder missles. There was talk that the '09's couldn't hold a candle to the '08's. They took it one step further. Now there is talk that South is done. Well, be proud you a Rebel cause the South's gonna' do it again...and again.

It's nice to hear a competitor who has respect raiderdad. When I played ball in the early 70's Ketron and Sullivan West were Bulldozers. Would love to see North take it up a couple more notches. And Sullivan West continues to produce some key South athletes. Fact is that South has had the athletes from day 1. But too much drugs and too much money. I disagree with you on one thing...It will matter who the next coach is. Since Stacy came he is about at 75% efficiency. But there are still athletes roaming the halls and potentially great athletes that have fallen through the cracks. Mostly due to their own demise. But without somemone as strong or stronger than Stacy South will revert to the old South. The Optimist, CHAC, and Travel teams will still be producers because the community is too proud and strong as it has always been for the past 4 or 5 decades. The athletes will be there. The difference now is that because of Stacy the parents of these athletes are visualizing their potential college careers before middle school. Some might say that is rediculous. I say it is essential. Check the records and you will find the highest test scores in the school are Stacy's athletes. Across the board. The skill positions are lining up and by their Frosh year they have determined what their specialty will be. The problem is linemen. It's difficult to have to take a potentially great TE and have to make him a Center as was done with T.J. Blanken. To be quite honest he probably would have been a better TE than Ty Garvin but he made a sacrifice for the team. And his mom and dad were the presidents of the Pigskin Parents. So much for some other posters notion that the PSP's get to choose who plays what. People notice the Curt Phillips, and the Taylor Fletchers, and the Ty Garvins but the T.J. Blankens, as it were, go unnoticed in all of their dedication. The South feeders will continue to produce athletes but how many and what quality will depend on the Success of the South program. In the not to distant past I recall a common discussion among parents of 6th and 7th graders was where they would send their athletes to high school. That is no longer a topic. If Stacy leaves, which is the question of the ages, the next choice of Head Coach will be crucial to continued success of Sullivan South.

It is a shame that freshmen linemen don't look like they do in the 12th grade. I have always felt the highschool linesman coach has the hardest job to do and the least time to get it done. To me being a QBs dad makes the linesmen coach the most important man on the staff. I did not mean any coach could do well at South I ment any Coach South would make an offer to would do well. I know the mind set of your community and no bums need apply. I have coached and coached against many young men in this area in Sullivan county football and LV peewee. You see so many bad things happen to so many fine young men to take them over to the dark side. We as parents, coaches, & community menbers, need to remember that sports were put in school so that kids could see what hard work and effort return to them in one season. Most highschool children can't see 4 years down the road, but they can see what happens in a single sports season and some times relate it to school work. Good luck however it turns out.

Go Raiders

If what I've read about the internal situation at Science Hill over in the other threads is true, Carter would be making a mistake to jump into that situation. Everybody wants to make Scott Smith the fallguy for SH's struggles, but the following information has emerged:

At SH, Scott Smith was only allowed to pick *1* of his assistant coaches when he was hired. The rest were holdovers or local youth coaches who were forced upon him and then undermined him at every stop. The OL coach was questioning everything Smith wanted to do on a daily basis in front of the whole team, and several of the assistants were angling to get Smith fired so they could take over the job.

Apparently, Smith was not allowed to tell disgruntled/incompetent/insubordinate assistants that their coaching was not needed, and this showed on the field time and time again in players who just didn't know the fundamentals of their position. The next coach will presumably inherent the same staff and the same bad attitudes. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

Personally, as someone entering the coaching field, I found Science Hill's AD, Keith Turner's, comments to the JC Press to be very unprofessional. In writing a story about Smith's resignation, Turner told the paper "We were looking at [firing Scott Smith] really hard,” said Turner. “We had some things that were definite concerns. In this profession it’s not just coaching, its teaching and everything else.”

Now, I'm not offended they were looking at firing Smith. I just think it's unprofessional to kick a guy when he's down like that, when everything's over and the only point to those words was to be mean spirited and tear him down publically.

If you see the writing on the wall and quit your job, would you want your boss to go running to the local paper and say they were about to fire you anyway, then hint that there was something very wrong with you? I don't think any of us would want to work for a guy like that. This act speaks volumes about the character, or lack thereof, of Keith Turner.

Then there's the issue of tradition. People in the Tri Cities look at Science Hill like they should be the local version of Notre Dame to Dobyns Bennett's USC, but a better comparison would have Science Hill as Kentucky to Dobyns-Bennett's UT. Traditional basketball school vs traditional football school.

Over the past 50 years, Science Hill has never consistently fielded top notch football teams. Like Kentucky, their basketball teams have been dominant, but in football they've had a few good years when they were blessed with a vastly superior stud to carry the team, like when Steve Spurrier was there in the 50s and when Terry Copeland was there in the early 90s. Overall their historical track record in football has always been a disappointment despite having resources at their disposal that no other program in the region, save Dobyns-Bennett, should be able to compete with.

Science Hill's administration does not agree with the idea of football as a 12 month sport. They don't like to give coaches much support in letting them stress their offseason programs. Carter's "military discipline" would slam right against that. Guess who really holds the cards in that situation? It won't be Carter.

Scott Smith came to SH fresh off a state title, had published influential books and articles on coaching, and was a sought after speaker at coach's clinics. The guy knew what he was doing and had a resume that was more impressive than any of the coaches now being talked about as possible replacements. We should remember that.

Why would Stacy Carter, Shawn Witten, or any other local coach, for that matter, want to give up a promising career at another school to jump into this mess with both feet? Yes, they'd get paid well for 3-4 years, but they're basically set up for life where they're at now. Once they leave, they might not get to ever go home again.

Some schools just aren't willing to give coaches the authority and resources it takes to build winning football programs. Science Hill looks like one of them. Carter has to be very careful about this one.

If what I've read about the internal situation at Science Hill over in the other threads is true, Carter would be making a mistake to jump into that situation. Everybody wants to make Scott Smith the fallguy for SH's struggles, but the following information has emerged:

At SH, Scott Smith was only allowed to pick *1* of his assistant coaches when he was hired. The rest were holdovers or local youth coaches who were forced upon him and then undermined him at every stop. The OL coach was questioning everything Smith wanted to do on a daily basis in front of the whole team, and several of the assistants were angling to get Smith fired so they could take over the job.

Apparently, Smith was not allowed to tell disgruntled/incompetent/insubordinate assistants that their coaching was not needed, and this showed on the field time and time again in players who just didn't know the fundamentals of their position. The next coach will presumably inherent the same staff and the same bad attitudes. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

Personally, as someone entering the coaching field, I found Science Hill's AD, Keith Turner's, comments to the JC Press to be very unprofessional. In writing a story about Smith's resignation, Turner told the paper "We were looking at [firing Scott Smith] really hard,” said Turner. “We had some things that were definite concerns. In this profession it’s not just coaching, its teaching and everything else.”

Now, I'm not offended they were looking at firing Smith. I just think it's unprofessional to kick a guy when he's down like that, when everything's over and the only point to those words was to be mean spirited and tear him down publically.

If you see the writing on the wall and quit your job, would you want your boss to go running to the local paper and say they were about to fire you anyway, then hint that there was something very wrong with you? I don't think any of us would want to work for a guy like that. This act speaks volumes about the character, or lack thereof, of Keith Turner.

Then there's the issue of tradition. People in the Tri Cities look at Science Hill like they should be the local version of Notre Dame to Dobyns Bennett's USC, but a better comparison would have Science Hill as Kentucky to Dobyns-Bennett's UT. Traditional basketball school vs traditional football school.

Over the past 50 years, Science Hill has never consistently fielded top notch football teams. Like Kentucky, their basketball teams have been dominant, but in football they've had a few good years when they were blessed with a vastly superior stud to carry the team, like when Steve Spurrier was there in the 50s and when Terry Copeland was there in the early 90s. Overall their historical track record in football has always been a disappointment despite having resources at their disposal that no other program in the region, save Dobyns-Bennett, should be able to compete with.

Science Hill's administration does not agree with the idea of football as a 12 month sport. They don't like to give coaches much support in letting them stress their offseason programs. Carter's "military discipline" would slam right against that. Guess who really holds the cards in that situation? It won't be Carter.

Scott Smith came to SH fresh off a state title, had published influential books and articles on coaching, and was a sought after speaker at coach's clinics. The guy knew what he was doing and had a resume that was more impressive than any of the coaches now being talked about as possible replacements. We should remember that.

Why would Stacy Carter, Shawn Witten, or any other local coach, for that matter, want to give up a promising career at another school to jump into this mess with both feet? Yes, they'd get paid well for 3-4 years, but they're basically set up for life where they're at now. Once they leave, they might not get to ever go home again.

Some schools just aren't willing to give coaches the authority and resources it takes to build winning football programs. Science Hill looks like one of them. Carter has to be very careful about this one.

Hopeful, I agree with just about everything you've said and in the same breath I disagree. For the AD to use the word "Fire" is disrespectful in and of itself. And yes, your report is not the first to suggest Mr. Smith was disrespected. But what buys respect? I tell you now that Stacy was an Army Ranger and his military disipline is real. Stacy can quell an argument without saying a word. He can bust you in the mouth without clinching a fist. It's not just Stacy that has this ability but it is a man's man. I doubt seriously Gregg Stubbs takes too much flak from his staff. Nor does Graham Clark. And I guarantee you shawn Witten is a hard A also. And for Whitten, he will never leave that place. He will have it rebuilt and renamed "Whiten School". My point? Stacy would not and is not in a desperate situation to force him to accept the position under such duress. He will get what he wants or he won't go. And I guarantee you he would take less money for himself in order to have the ability to take whatever he wanted with him. In fact, I would venture to say that the largest reason he considered this move was for the benefit of his staff. And the part about the 12 month training and Science Hill not being a football school. None of that washes. Think this, Stacy was contacted, was made an offer even before Smith knew he was leaving. Why Stacy first. He is sitting in a fine situation at his Alma Mater. Why would you as the AD think to offer Stacy. Because currently, he is the hottest thing this area has to offer. Now if you wanted a date with the hottest chick in town and you want to score a championship with her and especially if you were a dud wouldn'nt you be prepared to pick her up in a Beamer...M6 maybe, take her out to dinner (not to Craker Barrel for beans & greens), flowers, champagne, the whole basket...right?! Or you think they went to Stacy (first mind you) and said, "Stace, we would like you to be our new head coach. They tore down our field so we have to play at Happy Valley, we can't afford any new equipment right now, and you'll have to use all the assistants we have on staff right now. You can't practice 12 months a year and this is traditionally not a football school so money's tight. But if you win a state championship I promise I will do whatever you want.

Hopeful, I'm inclined to think it went down a bit different than that. I mean I'm a championship coach a heartbeat away from a gold ball with athletes lining up to play for me and my staff is all set in concrete. The community is behind me, I got a house on the lake, the colleges are calling asking me what I got for them this year....and all you are going to offer me is a Friday night fish fry and a chance for a free case of Dr. Pepper. I think I'll pass. Meanwhile you say, "What would it take to get you to come to Science Hill Stacy?" I don't know, let me think about it and make you a list. OK Stace, whatever you want. And then all of a sudden the man is considering the move. I'm telling you that if he goes he gets it just the way he wants it...Coaching staff and all.

But I don't think he will go. Just my opinion. But one part of me wants him to go to prove a point. The other part of me wants him to stay and prove a point. We will know soon enough.